Allpar Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Challenger ScatPack; 2012 Fiat 500 Sport; 1983 Dodge Ramcharger; 1948 Dodge Pickup (Hot Rod)
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
- Belvedere is just starting the retooling process for the LX replacements. Both 2-door and 4-door BEV Dodge, plug-in hybrid version of both, and Chrysler BEV (possibly Airflow) all based on the Stella Large platform.

- Brampton has no future product planned and may be sold off since the price of real estate is high in the area. Stellantis may sell the plant and continue with their investment in the Windsor area.

·
Registered
15 Posts
- Belvedere is just starting the retooling process for the LX replacements. Both 2-door and 4-door BEV Dodge, plug-in hybrid version of both, and Chrysler BEV (possibly Airflow) all based on the Stella Large platform.

- Brampton has no future product planned and may be sold off since the price of real estate is high in the area. Stellantis may sell the plant and continue with their investment in the Windsor area.
Recent announcements indicate Brampton does have a future.

·
Registered
195 Posts
The fact that the start of the retooling of Brampton for an new electric/electrified was announced last week for 2024 with the new product following in 2025 while earlier it was allready announced that the new E-Muscle car would come to market in 2024 pretty much meant that the replacements for the Charger and Challenger would not remain in Brampton.

Now that the future for Brampton and it´s employees is secure they can reveal more of the future for the Belvedere plant without causing a lot of stress in Canada.

If this news for Belvedere is correct we can expect work to "change over" from CUSW to STLA Large to begin somewhere in 2023 if that product will come to market in 2024.
That would probably mean that the current Cherokee will end production in 2023 at the latest.
Where will it´s replacement be built?
Windsor will get new product in 2024 (work starts in 2023). That seems very late for a Cherokee replacement. So probably a different product.
Toluca currently only makes the Compass (SUSW AWD) and that should be around for at least 3 more years. The Cherokee Replacement will not use SUSW AWD so i don´t think that plant makes a lot of sense. I would also suspect capacity could be an issue as a Cherokee replacement would target 200000 vehicles a year by itself. (Maybe if the reports from Autos Segredos are true and there will be a Ford Maverick competitor from RAM based on the SUSW architecture also for the U.S. Market they could built it with Compass in Toluca like they will do in Pernambuco, Brazil).
That would leave Jefferson North. It is being/has been changed from producing WK Grand Cherokee´s to WL Grand Cherokee´s. The Durango will remain for some time but if i see what Jefferson was able to produce yearly combined with the new Mack plant that should eventually employ aprox. as many people as Jefferson does, i see room for another volume product there.

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
39,089 Posts

And your credibility takes a hit...

Future Mopars revealed by Canadian investments - Stellpower

If this news for Belvedere is correct we can expect work to "change over" from CUSW to STLA Large to begin somewhere in 2023 if that product will come to market in 2024.
That would probably mean that the current Cherokee will end production in 2023 at the latest.
Where will it´s replacement be built?
Windsor will get new product in 2024 (work starts in 2023). That seems very late for a Cherokee replacement. So probably a different product.
Toluca currently only makes the Compass (SUSW AWD) and that should be around for at least 3 more years. The Cherokee Replacement will not use SUSW AWD so i don´t think that plant makes a lot of sense. I would also suspect capacity could be an issue as a Cherokee replacement would target 200000 vehicles a year by itself. (Maybe if the reports from Autos Segredos are true and there will be a Ford Maverick competitor from RAM based on the SUSW architecture also for the U.S. Market they could built it with Compass in Toluca like they will do in Pernambuco, Brazil).
That would leave Jefferson North. It is being/has been changed from producing WK Grand Cherokee´s to WL Grand Cherokee´s. The Durango will remain for some time but if i see what Jefferson was able to produce yearly combined with the new Mack plant that should eventually employ aprox. as many people as Jefferson does, i see room for another volume product there.
If a new Cherokee is based on the Grand, it could be done at Jefferso/Mack.

Platform doesn't matter as much as you think, if it's the same size as SUSW, I am pretty sure Toluca can make it.

I expect Cherokee production to end in 2023, as you do. Skipping a year would not be crazy; Windsor might end up with it.

I think the Canadian plants are being set up for pure electrics, and Belvidere for the large cars and presumably crossovers on the same platform, at last.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger ScatPack; 2012 Fiat 500 Sport; 1983 Dodge Ramcharger; 1948 Dodge Pickup (Hot Rod)
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And your credibility takes a hit...
I'm just going by what was provided to me by an insider working on the Belvedere project (that's all I'm going to say about this person without getting them in trouble). When I asked about Brampton, I was told that "nothing is scheduled". The sale of the plant was only speculation because they've seen nothing yet. Maybe they'll see nothing until the Provincial welfare is secured. However, Belvedere is already in process. The retooling if the line is currently being engineered.

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
39,089 Posts
I'm just going by what was provided to me by an insider working on the Belvedere project (that's all I'm going to say about this person without getting them in trouble). When I asked about Brampton, I was told that "nothing is scheduled". The sale of the plant was only speculation because they've seen nothing yet. Maybe they'll see nothing until the Provincial welfare is secured. However, Belvedere is already in process. The retooling if the line is currently being engineered.
Ah... okay. Provincial support has been promised. I believe what you say regarding Belvedere.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
But now something is clearly going to Brampton... But what?

Anyway. AFAIK the next gen Cherokee will be on STLA Large.

·
Premium Member
2002 Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4x4 with Cummins. 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Altitude
4,966 Posts
At this momoment nothing solid about Peugeot platofrm forks for US products. It's all about ex FCA forks, thus RWD. STLA Large is RWD based.
Thanks I thought it was, but wasn't sure. Would it roughly be an offshoot of the underpinnings of my new Grand Cherokee L?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts