Allpar Forums banner

721 - 740 of 776 Posts

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
God that looks terrible. The interior crew must've just said screw it we can't integrate this. And if I'm reading it right that's the Platinum edition? Hey kids, throw your toys at it and make mommy and daddy happy. But it is Ford so I'm sure it'll be praised for it's backward, excuse me, forward thinking.
I like it, why? because it looks Unique. If the screen was Horizontal, it would make the Aviator look like a direct Rebadge.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Another day, another voila moment on automotive thinking about "Just put an iPad/Device on the dash"...
Today, Everyday Driver podcast #364, at the 25 minute mark...

That's the GENIUS MOVE, now... instead of having all these stuck-on nav screens on the top of the console, why isn't it just a system to plug your phone in? ....
Almost SEVEN YEARS LATER, the automotive minds catch up with mine! :)

PODCAST LINKS: (I met 2of3 of these guys, counting Chance, at Pebble Beach Concours this year - nice guys)

Reactions: ScramFan

·
Super Moderator
38,101 Posts
The "separate" looking screen has an advantage and disadvantage.
The advantage is that by having the "tacked on" looking screen, the rest of the dash can flow more freely and look less blocky because it doesn't have to surround the screen.
The disadvantage is it always looks tacked on.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
God that looks terrible. The interior crew must've just said screw it we can't integrate this. And if I'm reading it right that's the Platinum edition? Hey kids, throw your toys at it and make mommy and daddy happy. But it is Ford so I'm sure it'll be praised for it's backward, excuse me, forward thinking.
Agree, the reason it looks bad to me is that it "looks" like an old iPad. At least have something with a smaller bezel so the screen goes to the edge of the device. Plus it seems to me that it will be VERY distracting in that location.
From a review I watched, that is the optional 10.1" screen..that standard size is 8" in the same spot.

·
Registered
421 Posts
That looks terrible, reminds me of something Tesla would do.

Reactions: ScramFan

·
Registered
634 Posts
Another day, and another manufacturer releases a vehicle with, you guessed it... my prognostication of "Just have an iPad-like device" as your main dash feature. [Hey, I was even the person with what I could find as the earliest GUESS at the name iPad.]

Looks so cheap.

Dare I say they are opening up room for a new Grand Cherokee to steal sales.

These FORUMS sure look different than last time I visited!

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/01/2020-ford-explorer-debuts-less-weight-new-rwd-platform/

·
Jeepaholic
5,935 Posts
I can’t find any pics of the standard smaller screen...everything shows the optional 10.1 screen. Just wondering if the smaller screen looks less out of place.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
The Predator is testing Fords now.:)

Kind of disjointed dash design, but to each their own. What really drives me nuts is the console intruding on leg room. Look at how the drivers knee is right on the hard edge. Not only is that uncomfortable, I would think that would be an immediate impact point during a collision.

·
Jeepaholic
5,935 Posts
Reactions: hmk123

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Is that a completely new interior? I only ask because if it isn't, then the reason for the tablet-like screen is that it would only have needed a rework of the plastics in that central vent cluster, and no change to any other part.

As it is, it's a very cheap way of keeping the number of distinct parts down. In-dash systems need different dash surrounds for different screen-sizes, this needs no change to the dash, meaning that the panel could even be fitted later in the manufacturing process (or even swapped at a dealership).

However, and don't get me wrong here, I'm making no apologies for Ford: it looks every bit as cheap as it is.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Screens are a distraction and a PIA in a vehicle. Anything that makes you take your eyes off the road to operate is a negative safety issue. Remember when automakers designed switch gear with a tactile difference, that was so you could tell by feel what control you were using, It was a good idea then and would be a good idea now.

·
Super Moderator
6,996 Posts
I can't imagine why anyone would want to reach blindly for a control and try different controls until they find the right one.

Quickly looking over to tap the control you need is a much better and quicker solution.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Is that a completely new interior? I only ask because if it isn't, then the reason for the tablet-like screen is that it would only have needed a rework of the plastics in that central vent cluster, and no change to any other part.
It's new.

I can't imagine why anyone would want to reach blindly for a control and try different controls until they find the right one.

Quickly looking over to tap the control you need is a much better and quicker solution.
It's a real challenge for automakers. There's very intense HMI benchmarking going on with these infotainment systems. In terms of minimal driver distraction, the Germans were on the right path with the central knob combined with button shortcuts. However strong customer feedback has caused all of them to slowly implement touchscreen capability (with Audi going all in) in order to wow the customer and make things look more "advanced".

Audi was actually testing some really cool HMI concepts but the board got scared and they went with their current touchscreen set up.

721 - 740 of 776 Posts