Allpar Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a feeling I know what the mechanic is going to try and do down here but the critter is a V6 3.0 and they do not exit in Mexico.

What is the recommended procedure for such a contamination of a CV joint?

No idea if it got damaged or not (the joint itself)

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Most people just replace the entire axle with a reman axle (and they often come from Mexico). Here in the States, the entire reman axle with new boots can be purchased around $65.00.

A new boot kit which comes with the grease and bands cost about $20 - $30. The disassembly, cleaning and labor is usually more than an hour so that is why reman axles are popular. The boot replacement job is also messy meaning you need some cleaning solvent, protective glooves, rags, and plenty of hand cleaner.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Reman axle HERE? In Mexico? For a 3.0 ?????

Is this transaxle the same as the one in the 4 cyl? Will a 4cyl axle fit a 3.0 V6?

No parts book lists ANYTHING for the 3.0

The 3.0 does not exist here. When I ask a refraccionaria (parts store) to check with their proveedor (warehouse), they telephone, hang up, then shrug.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
If it is a three speed auto then the answer is yes. The A423 trans was used with 3.0, 2.2, and 2.5 Turbo and N/A in minis. Likely the same one for all of them.

If A604 4 speed auto, then it should interchange with the 3.3. This isn't a Ford. They may change parts five times a year for the same powertrain. LOL

·
Super Moderator
36,924 Posts
The 3 speed transaxle isn't the "same" as the 4 cylinder one in that the bellhousing is different but it is the same where the axles are.
Likewise, both the 3 speed auto and the 4 speed auto use the same shafts. So the only real variable is ABS.
You can use an ABS axle in a non-ABS car but you can't use a non-ABS axle in an ABS car.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You just saved my rear end. Yeah I know that was a failed attempt at a pun...

The two mechanics who looked and said "No way that's the same" are now crossed off my list.

The tranny has three speeds and at @45 mph shifts almost simultaneously into an "O.D" and goes into converter lockup. It's the 3-speed.

New axles!

Thank You!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts