Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 PT Cruiser , not a turbo, Do any of U guys know what it should get for miles a gallon , average. ?

·
Premium Member
20,078 Posts
I have 2 2002 non turbo cruisers and the mileage can vary. Drive it with light throttle in town and she will keep with around 20-22mpg, be agressive and it will go down to 17mpg. On the highway cruise, I can easily get 28-30mpg with a load in the car (passengers and luggage), with both an auto and a manual transmission.

The computer has a driving habit learning program. The harder you drive it, the more responsive it is, the softer you drive it, she will still get out of its own way, just more gentle. I can tell when someone else drives the Cruisers, especially if they have a heavy foot. Drive like there is an egg under your foot and a full glass of water on the dash in front of you and you can get pretty reasonable mileage with them.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
My normal mileage is around 25 mpg. That's about half highway/half city, maybe a little more highway. As Dana44 stated, around town, I get about 22, and it really depends on how you drive it.

Reactions: The Wild One

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'm getting a consistent 25 MPG on mostly highway using the A/C most of this summer. In fall and winter the car gets about another MPG unless there is freezing weather. Here in MD it's pretty mild most of the time. There have been times where the Caravan (3.3 L V6) has gotten pretty close to that but not in a few couple of years. It isn't particularly efficient even while it's very practical most of the time for me.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Ridingcrops said:
WOW! I think I'm lucky to get 21 highway but I average 18 city/highway and I don't drive agressively
This is more in line with what I'm getting on my '08 non-Turbo PT. Very disappointed with it, too! I only see 24 mpg out on the Interstate.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have a 2005 Base model PT with a manual transmission. I usually get about 22 mpg. Always have. Bought it brand new with 4 miles on it back in April of 2005. Never saw any better gas milage. It is my biggest complaint about my PT. Actually probably my only complaint.
Edit - I should add, that my PT also does not have A/C!! I did say it was a Base model. I still only get 22 mpg.

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
2.4L displacement is getting large for a four cylinder engine. The PT is a fairly heavy (safe) vehicle and the aerodynamics are fair.
The Sebring/Stratus/Breeze/Caravan/Voyager with the 2.4L all return about this same average fuel economy.
The 2.0L and diesel PT's were all for export I believe. I have never seen one in the US.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't check it a lot, but my 2002 2.4 auto usually gets around 22/23 on the highway. I got almost 27 once driving carefully on two lane rural roads with the wind.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I have a 2008 5-speed convertible that I purchased new. I drive conservatively most of the time and recently completed trips from CT to PEI Canada and return, then CT to NC and return. Early in my ownership I checked the mpg readout vs actual computation of mpg and it was very close. Down in NC I filled up with "pure" fuel - no ethanol. During these recent trips - mostly 60-70% highway driving, mostly 55-65 mph, I have been seeing 28-31 mpg which is the best I've ever done with this car for such a long period.
This car has always been good on fuel compared to other reports - even in very cold winter weather, with "winter-blend" fuel it will get 26 mpg in mixed highway/local driving. The car must like the way I treat it! (it never sees winter snow/slush/salt)

·
Registered
55 Posts
My original 2001 Ltd 5sp consistently averages 24-25 with my mixed driving. When I do take it on a long trip my avg will rise to 27-ish+ but I am a heavy footed driver and like to wind it out. I know others with automatics who see only high teens at best so perhaps the 5 sp is/was well worth it. Besides, its definitely more fun!

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
I avaregae about 25 MPG mixed driving. My wife's 07 gets 23 - 24MPG in mainly city driving.

·
Paper Tag Rubicon
4,735 Posts
I'm still new to PT world but getting around 21mpg in my 2010 non-turbo. After piloting various forms of HEMI Nu-Challenger and the Pentastar Rubicon I get 21mpg when I finally get to where I'm going...poor thing sounds like I'm killing in daily driving.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Have an 01 limited with 150K Miles on it now. Average 21 combined city/hwy best so far is a 26. Reducing Idle time does wonders. If I have to wait on someone while they run into a store or I am picking them up from somewhere, after 3 minutes or so, I shut it down.

Clean Air Filter and the other tips people have said help a LOT

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a '01 cruiser. I get about 16 mpg driving around town/short trips. On long trip I get about 24 MPG.

My 2013 GC gets about 18 around town and 27 or more on long trips on the highway. on one trip I got 32 mpg.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
To put things into perspective, we've come a long way on MPGs.
My '13 Caravan can crack 29+ on the highway. (not even on a trip!)
A guy here at work got 45 with a Dart, although he was driving to get best mileage at the time.

There are SO many variables for mileage, like weather & road grade.
Biggest one is the weight of the right foot. :cool:

·
Registered
18 Posts
These are some great averages. Looking around on forums and reading information from owners as well Chrysler complaint letters about poor MPG this group has better overall average MPG than most all PT Cruisers? Can't complain though we get 22-24 and it is a Turbo Charged PT?

·
Registered
91 Posts
On the non-complaint side...

My first PT was a 2006 na base model; with standard shift. I put a AirRaid intake system on it to open up the breathing; and I must admit I liked the growl so much I undid the gas mileage advantage.
But, about a year after I owned the soonercruiser, I made a long trip out East, downwind, spring weather where no ac was used, and got a smidge under 30 mpg on the way out.
Coming back west/home was a different story. It was into the face of the wind, and lots of rain. Only got 25 mpg.

Of my turbos, the 2006 GT convertible, my Black Sheep, got the best mileage. On another long trip to Florida and back, I got a combined 25.5 mpg. I thought that was pretty darn reasonable.....for a brick that she is. Around the city, I'm sure my turbos are only around 20mpg.
Thank GOD for the low premium gas prices.

Be sure to keep good records, and calculate off of many fill-ups.
OH! One more thing reference MPG!
I only use 100% gasoline! Otherwise, you are losing 1-2 mpg.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts