Allpar Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I just started refurbishing my 36 p1 Plymouth's gas tank and it was necessary to cut a section out to get all the dents and gunk out . I found a plate of metal about 18 inches long and 5 inches wide with 2 holes about 1 inch in diameter and about 3 inches apart. The corners of this plate are all turned down to a point. What the heck is this object and why was it inside the tank? it is too large to be put through the gas fill tube.? I am curious to see what function this peace serves and was it attached inside the tank and where ?
Thanks
:frusty:

·
Registered
844 Posts
This is a complete SWAG, but I'm going to guess this part was an internal baffle to help control how the fuel sloshes around.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the welcome and I am thinking this is a baffle as well, but this next question would be where does it go and how was it attached. I noticed the fuel line protruding inward from the outer connection. Is it attached to that or wedged in across the middle of the tank with those pointed corners.?
Any Ideas
thanks Bt

·
Super Moderator
21,357 Posts
I would think that it was originally secured. Any spot weld tabs or marks where it may have broke off? Use care in reattaching it with solder or braze as the fumes are still flammable and toxic.

·
KOG
6,997 Posts
Never mind the flammable part, worry about the explosive part. If you are not familiar with gs tank repair don't even think about going near it with a flame or an arc until you learn how to purge fumes from it.

·
Super Moderator
21,357 Posts
Agree. I didn't think to use the 'explosive' word.
I have repaired gas tanks in the past and they are to be respected. An empty one can be more dangerous than a full one.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Those internal baffles also sometimes served as anti-bubble / screening devices.
As late as the 1940s, it's amazing how much ... stuff ... could wind up in a gas tank, since gas caps often didn't have gaskets to keep out debris.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts