Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
31,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing my transmission oil pan soon on my 92 Dakota. The pan is entirely covered with 'pickle' rust, and also a huge scale of rust thinner than a sheet of paper scaled off. The metal behind it was damp with transmission fluid. So the pan has pinholes weeping, and is end of life. No fluid on the ground yet.
I bought a new pan and ATF+4, and was wondering what kind of sealant to use on the gasket? Anaerobic? The FSM only says to place the gasket and torque the pan, but I believe I used a sealant about 15 years ago, can't remember what.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I have had100% success with just dry gasket on trans, whether cork or rubber. The holes are made to hold the screws in place which holds the gasket in place during assembly.

·
KOG
7,002 Posts
I haven't had great success with gaskets. But any good silicone works fine.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
With gaskets, I install them on the pan etc. with weatherstrip adhesive.

It firmly glues the gasket to the pan etc. and allows for future removal.

Most is yellow but I buy the black as it doesn't stand out cosmetically.

Anaerobic is for metal to metal contact with no gasket.

It cures in the absence of oxygen for seal retainers etc.

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Is that used in place of RTV??

Thanks
Randy

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts

·
KOG
7,002 Posts
I've gotten rubber gaskets with WIX filter kits that obviously weren't "quality" gaskets. I know that there's a reusable MOPAR gasket which should work well, but I don't know the part number or a source for it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Is that used in place of RTV??

Thanks
Randy
If you’re referring to three bond, yes don’t use it with rtv. I personally do not like to use rtv to seal areas that have moving parts or small passageways. Rtv doesn’t break down it just balls up and will get where you don’t want it. Three bond does not act like this. If it were mine assuming the case is clean I would put the gasket straight to the case and put three bond on the pan surface after being cleaned as best as possible.the three bond will fill in any pin holes or uneven surfaces and the gasket will do the rest. If the pan and the case was in good shape then no need for the three bond or any other sealer.

·
Super Moderator
31,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. Pan is a brand new replacement. It even has a drain bolt for future fluid change (although I don't anticipate the truck lasting that long).
I'll clean the bottom of the transmission carefully and try just the gasket.

Reactions: bguy

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
. . . I'll clean the bottom of the transmission carefully and try just the gasket. . . .
A lot of transmission and / or oil pan gaskets are not cut properly to accept securing bolts. The gasket needs to grip the bolt tightly to help ensure a no leak installation. Gaskets with cut openings larger than the bolts will allow fluid to seep past the threads. Gasket only usage can be frustrating.

·
Super Moderator
31,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Last one I used gripped the bolts so that they held the gasket and therefore the pan in place when suspended. I think I got the kit at RockAuto.

·
KOG
7,002 Posts
Last one like that I used was in a Wix kit, gripped bolts tightly, leaked all around. Now has silicone, no leak.

·
Got parts?
2,604 Posts
I didn't use gasket glue when I changed the trans fluid, filter and gasket on my '92 Dakota. It never leaked trans fluid. I recently bought a filter/gasket kit for my '99 Laramie (larger trans, but similar design) from a parts store in Michigan, and when I asked about gasket glue, the counter guy, who also has a Dodge pick-up of similar vintage, said it's not recommended, and I shouldn't use it.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,677 Posts
FWIW - long ago I had changed the fluid on my '92 Acclaim. Used a new gasket. Don't remember which brand. It leaked. Installed the old gasket. No leaks.

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
Mopar 4295875AC is the steel-rubber gasket that is reusable for the A-904/A-500/42RH/42RE family. It may seem expensive, but it will probably be the last one you need to buy in the vehicle's lifetime.
These steel-rubber 'forever' gaskets are also available for other Chrysler transmissions/transaxles.

·
KOG
7,002 Posts
727, 46rh 47rh #?

·
Super Moderator
31,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A500, alias 42RH. Behind a 3.9L V-6.

·
KOG
7,002 Posts
Ah, no, what's the gasket number for those?

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
. . . Mopar 4295875AC is the steel-rubber gasket that is reusable for the A-904/A-500/42RH/42RE family. It may seem expensive, but it will probably be the last one you need to buy in the vehicle's lifetime.
These steel-rubber 'forever' gaskets are also available for other Chrysler transmissions/transaxles. . . .
IC -- Are the steel ribs embedded in the rubber and form the protrusions on the gasket surface. I wonder how many times you can reuse this gasket?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts