Allpar Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With my 98 GC hitting 90K miles, I figured that it was time to go looking (in earnest) at the Caravans at a local Dealership. I knew that Chrysler was contemplating the dropping of the Caravan in favor of the T&C. The salesman stated that Chrysler has opted to do the reverse--drop the T&C and keep the Caravan. I this so? One way or the other, I have not kept myself abreat of the news (if so reported).
Another question is when did Chrysler drop the green coolant and introduce the orange stuff? I know that GM has been using their DEXCOOL (have it in my Monte Carlo) for many years and has had material compatibility problems with it (besides the walnut shells used to plug holes). Do you have any information. I was surprised to see it in the coolant overflow bottle.
No transmission dip stick? What is this world coming to? How can one monitor the fluid's condition?

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,671 Posts
With my 98 GC hitting 90K miles, I figured that it was time to go looking (in earnest) at the Caravans at a local Dealership. I knew that Chrysler was contemplating the dropping of the Caravan in favor of the T&C. The salesman stated that Chrysler has opted to do the reverse--drop the T&C and keep the Caravan. I this so? One way or the other, I have not kept myself abreat of the news (if so reported).
Another question is when did Chrysler drop the green coolant and introduce the orange stuff? I know that GM has been using their DEXCOOL (have it in my Monte Carlo) for many years and has had material compatibility problems with it (besides the walnut shells used to plug holes). Do you have any information. I was surprised to see it in the coolant overflow bottle.
No transmission dip stick? What is this world coming to? How can one monitor the fluid's condition?
90K miles? Heck that's young...... My old '00 T&C Ltd AWD had 161K on it when we traded it in for a '09 Journey SXT (have a '10 now - long story) and another poster here (Stratuscaster) has a Caravan with over 400K on the odometer.

Personally, I think they should keep both with the T&C upscale and the GC for the average family hauler. But that's just me. My wife really wanted a T&C, but our budget couldn't afford it so we went with the Journey(s). Sad to say, I do miss our '00 T&C Ltd - for it's time it was a fully loaded model with some very nice feature I miss to this day (heated seats, windshield wiper defroster, all-wheel-drive, memory seats, dual zone HVAC controls, quad seating, PS, PB, video system, etc).

If I remember correctly, Chrysler went to the HOAT (Hybrid Organic Acid Technology) coolant around the 2000 model year. I know my 2000 T&C had it. It lasts longer (5 years/100K miles) and has better anticorrosion properties. The old green coolant was only good for 2 years/50K if you were lucky. Dexcool is basically death to anything other than GM vehicles.

Transmission dipsticks went away around the 2008-2009 model year. The transmissions are basically sealed. Chrysler is/was trying to limit the issue of the wrong fluid (Dexron) being added to the new transmissions or being overfilled. Probably half the issues with the A604/41TE was the incorrect fluid (usually Dexron or similar "universal" fluid) used. Yep, neither my '09 or '10 Journey's have/had a transmission dipstick. It more or less forces you to go the dealer to check the transmission if you think it has issues (low fluid, slippage, etc).

·
Registered
33 Posts
The rumors were for a while that the GC would give way to the T&C. This changed just a few months ago when SM announced the T&C would become a crossover and the GC would carry on. This is to happen MY2014. If I were you, I'd try and hold on until 2014. AWD is supposed to return along with a 9speed transmission and a more fuel efficient engine.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
My 99 has 100,000 miles more than yours and is still going strong. As long as you do the regular maintenance and the occasional preventative maintenance, there's no reason you can't get a quarter million miles or more out of yours. That is as long as you're happy with it and don't get the "new car fever", that seems to bite all of us on occasion. LOL

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My 89 Caravan had 191K when I finally let it go (the body had more holes than steel and the latches on the doors were rusting away) so I know that they last and are reliable. I would keep the 98 for my use but sell my Monte Carlo. This is due to my wife not wanting to drive the MC (she must look over the longer hood) and with her artificial knees, the GC is easier to access. It's a lifestyle change.
I don't need AWD since FWD is adequate even in Chicago's winters and do not see a big bump in performance when going from 6 speeds to 9. In fact, if I could, I would opt for a new 98 as I have it (3.8L and a 4 speed auto). It's reliable and the mpg's are not bad (26 on the hwy when loaded). Besides, being retired, my driving would be more on the hwys than around town. (I would really want for a SWB, new 98 but how much can one wish for?).
Hooray for SM sincehe seems to have common sense.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
How good is the body on your 98? Most of the 3rd. gen. Chrysler vans I see in the Chicago area are in worse shape than my 94 GC which just turned 90K miles. I going to keep it for a few more years unless I hit the Lotto.

A Lotto win would result in a Tesla "S" in the garage. Just my $0.02.

FredB

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The body is in good shape with only some minor rust showing up in the lower corner of the passenger side door (usually where the road dirt collects). It is garaged kept amd, until 2011, the 89 took the winter beating. I loved the 89 with a 3L and 3 speed auto. I could work on ost of the vehicle itself.

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
90K? That's just a baby. My '02 Caravan just crossed 409K. The front edge of the hood is rusting away, otherwise it's pretty solid.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts