Allpar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1970 Chrysler with a Holley equipped 440. I have replaced the fuel pump and rebuilt the carb twice. This 300 is an original 56000 miler with the Holley 4160. The problem is I am getting fuel in my oil, it idles rough and it smells of un burnt fuel. What am I missing?

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
Bad rings will do that. Do a compression check, squirt oil in the cylinders and test again. Increase in readings indicates bad rings.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
Another thing can be a blown power valve or too large a power valve setting, so constant fuel running into the intake. Do you remember what power valve number was installed and what your vacuum reading is at idle with the vacuum advance plugged off?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Inspect the fuel pump for a cracked diaphram. That willleak fuel into the block. I agree with the power valve probability,too. They die easily. The corect power valve number is measured manifold vacumm times two. 16 inches means 32 power valve.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
Correction on the proper power valve is vacuum divided by 2 plus two. 16 inches divided by 2 is 8, plus 2, so a 10.5 power valve will be correct (as an example)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts