Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have the ghost wiper problem on my 97 Voyager. I replaced the multi-function switch and it still persists. I searched the forum but didn't find much info this time around.

What I am wondering is what people have done that actually fixes the problem.

I remember reading somewhere that someone mentioned a grounding problem. I grounded the wiper motor to the battery--to no avail.

Has anybody had any success in placing an inline switch on one of the wires going to the wiper motor (ground)?

Would like to do something about it short of replacing the computer.

As of now, I have the wiper arms off--but that is not a fix!

Dan

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
A.J.,

I just swapped them both out and it works the same as it did before--GHOST WIPING>>>>

Thanks for the info!
Chrysler TSB 08-31-98 addresses this and there are 3 possible conditions with the cure for one condition being to replace the MFS which you did. The other possible condition has to do with grounding so be sure to check the ground by the transmission dipstick (i.e tighten the nut if loose and check for a broke wire). You should have a good solid ground to pin #5 of the gray connector attached to the bottom of the PDC. There should be continuity between that pin#5 of the gray connector on the PDC to the center terminal of the windshield wiper "ON" relay (per the TSB).

The final procedure involves a few continuity tests between the BCM and the wiper module
(I could post these if you would like me to tomorrow. In the mean time, you may be able to locate the TSB online or from someone who has it electronically). Essentially the final procedure either involves correcting an open wire or replacing the wiper motor.

As I recall from previous posts on this subject, it is possible to open the motor and clean the park switch. Perhaps someone has a good description of the procedure. My first guess would be the park switch in the motor assembly. You might be able to pick up a junk yard motor fairly cheap and then try to rehab your motor for future use.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chrysler TSB 08-31-98 addresses this and there are 3 possible conditions with the cure for one condition being to replace the MFS which you did. The other possible condition has to do with grounding so be sure to check the ground by the transmission dipstick (i.e tighten the nut if loose and check for a broke wire). You should have a good solid ground to pin #5 of the gray connector attached to the bottom of the PDC. There should be continuity between that pin#5 of the gray connector on the PDC to the center terminal of the windshield wiper "ON" relay (per the TSB).

The final procedure involves a few continuity tests between the BCM and the wiper module
(I could post these if you would like me to tomorrow. In the mean time, you may be able to locate the TSB online or from someone who has it electronically). Essentially the final procedure either involves correcting an open wire or replacing the wiper motor.

As I recall from previous posts on this subject, it is possible to open the motor and clean the park switch. Perhaps someone has a good description of the procedure. My first guess would be the park switch in the motor assembly. You might be able to pick up a junk yard motor fairly cheap and then try to rehab your motor for future use.
John,

Thanks for your reply. I will check the ground by the tranny and look at pin #5 as well... We will see where I need to go from there.

Thanks!

Dan

·
Registered
751 Posts
On my '96 pulling the wiper motor in the tub and cleaning it out worked (for a short while) I then replaced the motor and all is well.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Forgive me for the noobish question, but can someone explain the "ghost wiper" problem?

·
Super Moderator
36,948 Posts
Ghost wipers are wipers that randomly turn on and swipe when the switch is off, seems to be mostly 96/97 and maybe 98 model year vans.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I checked the ground next to the tranny, cleaned it up well and reconnected it. Same results. Replaced the wiper motor. Same results.

Can you be more specific concerning the TSB as it relates to pin #5 of the gray connector on the PDC to the center terminal of the windshield wiper "ON" relay (per the TSB).

Thanks,

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
I checked the ground next to the tranny, cleaned it up well and reconnected it. Same results. Replaced the wiper motor. Same results.

Can you be more specific concerning the TSB as it relates to pin #5 of the gray connector on the PDC to the center terminal of the windshield wiper "ON" relay (per the TSB).

Thanks,
The bottom of the power distribution center under the hood (PDC) has several connectors plugged on the bottom and I believe they are all a different color. I'll check the factory manual to see if there is a wiper "on" relay and where it is located. I probably can do this tonight but can't make any promises. PM me with your E-Mail and I might be able to scan a pertinent info on to a file and send it. Again, will do on a best effort basis.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I had a grounding problem on my '88 cause my wipers to fail in the middle of a downpour (of course!!).

I realize this is not a ghost problem but posted just to show what ground problems can do.

On the '88 the ground wire is underneath one of the wiper motor mounting bolts and was corroded.

D

·
0 Posts
Over the years I have addressed this problem on my van at least twice. The ghost wiper problem causes the wipers to swipe when they are not on and sometimes to continue to run after they are turned off. They will swipe a few times and then stop in the middle of the windshield, until you turn them all the way on and then you have to time it right to get them to stop where they are supposed to. I did not replace the switch or the motor, in fact I didn't replace anything. I know some folks have had success replacing the switch or motor, but I know what worked for me. The simplest way I can describe the problem is that the wipers don't know when (or perhaps where) to 'park'. There is a small plastic part in the wiper assembly, somewhat circular, that has small metal fingers in it. It rotates inside as the wipers swipe and senses, with the metal fingers, when the bottom of the cycle is and to 'park'. This part needs cleaned and perhaps the fingers bent slightly to make a good connection again. This is not a difficult job, but it will take a couple of hours to do. You have to start at the wiper arms and remove the whole wiper assembly. Then work your way down to the 'park' sensor. (probably not its proper name) I was able to take mine apart and clean it and reassemble the whole thing. I worked perfectly for about 5 years and I cleaned it again and it worked perfectly again, that was probably 4-5 years ago. I would expect it would need it again soon, but the van is on injured reserve right now with a bad transmission until I can decide what to do about it. 215000 miles on the original transmission, so I'm not complaining. There ussed to be some detailed posts on here that led me to do this repair, but that to was many years ago. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Over the years I have addressed this problem on my van at least twice. The ghost wiper problem causes the wipers to swipe when they are not on and sometimes to continue to run after they are turned off. They will swipe a few times and then stop in the middle of the windshield, until you turn them all the way on and then you have to time it right to get them to stop where they are supposed to. I did not replace the switch or the motor, in fact I didn't replace anything. I know some folks have had success replacing the switch or motor, but I know what worked for me. The simplest way I can describe the problem is that the wipers don't know when (or perhaps where) to 'park'. There is a small plastic part in the wiper assembly, somewhat circular, that has small metal fingers in it. It rotates inside as the wipers swipe and senses, with the metal fingers, when the bottom of the cycle is and to 'park'. This part needs cleaned and perhaps the fingers bent slightly to make a good connection again. This is not a difficult job, but it will take a couple of hours to do. You have to start at the wiper arms and remove the whole wiper assembly. Then work your way down to the 'park' sensor. (probably not its proper name) I was able to take mine apart and clean it and reassemble the whole thing. I worked perfectly for about 5 years and I cleaned it again and it worked perfectly again, that was probably 4-5 years ago. I would expect it would need it again soon, but the van is on injured reserve right now with a bad transmission until I can decide what to do about it. 215000 miles on the original transmission, so I'm not complaining. There ussed to be some detailed posts on here that led me to do this repair, but that to was many years ago. Hope this helps.
Good post and good information. Interestingly enough, I haven't had the ghost problem yet on my 96, but I did have a bad relay the caused the wipers to keep running after after you turned the switch off. The relay contacts would stick together and there was no way to shut the wipers off except pull the relay.
It's strange that the repair you mentioned is not specifically in the TSB, but one of the last resort items mentioned in the publication is to replace the wiper module which I guess would cover the park switch and finger arrangement.

As a side note, I lost my 3 speed in the 96 Grand at about 145,000 miles. I ended up buying a Mopar Remanufactured unit and put it in myself. Maybe mine failed early enough to justify the expense. At 215,000 miles, that would be tough to justify unless you could find a low mileage wreck from a 96 to 98 with a good 3 speed tranny. I've also had to replace the fuel pump, water pump, timing belt, and replace the brushes in the alternator. The previous owner put a couple of starters on it. I hope to take mine to about 250,000 miles, but we'll just see.

Again, thanks for the post. This might help the OP and if it ever happens to me, I have another place to start looking.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I wonder how many Chrysler wiper motors have been replaced because the ground at the mount was bad? When the mounting bolt is screwed out it cleans off the bolt threads enough to make the ground good again and makes it appear that the motor was bad!!

I had a ghost problem on my '64 TR4 wiper motor many years ago. Of course in those days there were no sensors or other things to make life more difficult.

I opened up the motor and found that the park cam wasn't opening the power contacts enough to keep the motor shut off when I hit a bump. Once it was adjusted it has worked fine.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So, I swapped out all of my relays and found the same results. Furthermore, I checked the center terminal on the wiper relay (the one that activates when key is on/off, forgot the name, it is dark out now) and found that it is conductive with both body and battery ground. As a last means of insuring a good, consistent ground to that post, I jumped a wire to it and connected it first to battery ground and then to body ground--all with the same results.

So, a short recap on what has been done:

1) multifunction switch replaced about a year ago--no difference.
2) checked/cleaned ground connection near tranny.
3) jumped a ground directly to the wiper motor.
4) replaced the wiper motor.
5) checked ground at Power Control Module

I'm beginning to think a toggle switch would be ideal--but which wire would I want to cut to interrupt?

·
Registered
255 Posts
I had a ghost problem on my '64 TR4 wiper motor many years ago. Of course in those days there were no sensors or other things to make life more difficult.
Posts referring to the Prince of Darkness (Lucas) will not be tolerated in this forum. :ph34r:

·
Registered
517 Posts
I knew that post would get me into trouble.

I have not one, but two of those Anglo nemeses!

The three Chryslers are just a small part of my oldies. Actually, I'm over my head, I can't even keep all the batteries charged!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Checked the ground to the wiper motor again today, just to make sure I hadn't overlooked that.

In my case, it only does the "ghost wiper" thing when you turn the ignition key off. Anyhow, my "solution" was to isolate the wire that sent power to the wiper motor (in my case, brown with a white stripe), cut it and put a 15 amp toggle switch in line under my dash. Works fine.

Thanks for all of the help through this--even though we were not able to "fix" it.

Dan

·
Registered
517 Posts
Dan,

That works. I did that once with a car that turned on the AC/heater fan when the ignition was on. That annoyed me, I don't like things that turn on when I don't want them on.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts