Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend is going to be in the market for a newer car, more than likely during the summer. Shes looking at a lot of options, especially hatchbacks. I mentioned the Caliber to her, and she checked one out online for a good price. She actually really likes it and would consider it. I just want to know from owners out there if it is a decent product that won't give her many issues. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
21,352 Posts
My mom and my sister traded their aging Neons in for '07 Calibers and they have been good cars for us.
The '08-'09's have improvements in the interior feel, if that's important. My sister's Dunlops needed replacement before they really wore out due to cupping (tire problem, not car problem). They also got the optional side airbags for safety. Chair-height seating is comfortable.
Has she driven one yet? That's the real test.

·
Vaguely badass...
43,889 Posts
I rented an '07 for a 1400-mile round trip. I'd much rather have an '10 or '11 model with the improved interior, but otherwise it was fine. I might want to spring for the 2.4L engine over the 2.0, but couldn't argue with the 32MPG highway I was getting.

·
Registered
864 Posts
How does it stack up against the competition such as the Mazda and Ford? I toured the Chicago Auto show and was looking for similar vehicles with automatics vs CVT's since I am still leery of long term problems with it. The other mfrs do use autos in many instances. Otherwise, I agree that the total car package is quite attractive and the size is just right for a 1-2 person usage. A co-worker purchased one last year for his daughter and has had no problems.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for comments so far! As far as the engine, she would most defintely go for the 2.0 with its better gas mileage. Shes looking at an '07 with about 50,000 miles for $7800 and an '09 with about 38,000 miles for $9985. If she has the funds to do it, shes leaning towards the '09. She has not driven one yet..hopefully soon though.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
I have an 08 SE with the 2.0 and CVT. I have gotten a steady 30 mpg since day one. I have not had any problems with it at all, really. There were a couple of piddly things that were fixed under warranty, but nothing major. If she can at all swing it, I'd recommend the 09 over the 07. The 07 models had some early problems such as body seams that were not properly sealed and the wrong size bolts put in the lower control arms. I've also read on a caliber forum that I'm a member of that there were battery and alternator problems on a lot of the 07 models too. If you want a lot of input from Caliber owners, I can tell you the Caliber site that I'm on. I won't post it here as someone may think I'm trying to pull members away from Allpar, and that's not the case. There's just not that many of us here that own Calibers. YET!! Let me know if you want the site and I'll PM it to you.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
I agree with the other posters; the '09 is a better choice. I'm on my second '09 Caliber (traded my SXT for an SRT-4), and even the 2.4L turbo gets decent highway gas mileage (30+ MPG) when I drive it reasonably. I have been very happy with both Calibers; I would buy another if I needed a car. I can't comment on the CVT since both my previous and current Calibers had/have manual transaxles.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah Chuzz, I would be interested in that website, that would be really cool and helpful im sure. Good to hear from you guys that these cars are quality product, at least the 09's and newer. I'm telling my girl what you're saying and its making her like it even more. Maybe when the weather finally gets nice we'll go on a test drive together and see what she thinks of it. Were defintely pushing for an 09, or at least an 08 now.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
I sent you a PM with the details.

·
Is pushing for progress!
3,314 Posts
Thanks for comments so far! As far as the engine, she would most defintely go for the 2.0 with its better gas mileage. Shes looking at an '07 with about 50,000 miles for $7800 and an '09 with about 38,000 miles for $9985. If she has the funds to do it, shes leaning towards the '09. She has not driven one yet..hopefully soon though.
What trim level is she looking at? That seems very low for such low mileage vehicles.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
What trim level is she looking at? That seems very low for such low mileage vehicles.
Those prices sound about right... My grandma was offered $8,000 for her 07 R/T with 16,000 miles if she would trade for a new '11... from the same dealer who convinced her her fuel tank fell off... (long story, the dealer lied)

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We have an 09 R/T 2.0lL with CVT and I really like this vehicle. We had to get another vehicle when the wife's PT Cruiser gave up the ghost.
The Caliber has about 40k on the clock and have had no issues. The things I like about this car:
1) Heated seats !!!!!!!!!
2) Satellite radio !!!!!!!!!!
3) Gas mileage (w/ CVT)
4) A decent amount of room while seated in the rear seats
5) Quite a bit of storage in the back with seat backs folded down

The R/T has a real nice interior, a little strong, but WAY more functional than the Cruiser
This car is no speed demon, it actually feels like it is moving slower than indicated, if that's possible hahahahaa

Things I don't like
1) no roof rack (had to buy mine from Mopar parts and install)
2) the seats are very adjustable but they are HARD !
3) Visibility is not that great
4) The factory Dunlops were so LOUD !!!!!!! (get new tires ASAP!!!)

Hope this helps, I would buy another one in a heartbeat.
Steve

·
Registered
46 Posts
My Caliber is an '08 SXT 2.0 w/CVT. 38k miles
I like it overall.
The issues I have had are a moisture leak in cab and taillights. One light fixed under warrenty and the cab leak.
Noisy Firestone tires. And the CVT surges at curtain low rpm's.

When you go look at the car check the floors in the back seat, thats where I found my leak.

·
Is pushing for progress!
3,314 Posts
Those prices sound about right... My grandma was offered $8,000 for her 07 R/T with 16,000 miles if she would trade for a new '11... from the same dealer who convinced her her fuel tank fell off... (long story, the dealer lied)
thats low, my 08 R/T AWD is worth conservativly $12,800 as a traid in with a little over 23thousand miles on it.

·
Registered
8,747 Posts
I have an '07 SXT with the 1.8l + 5 speed.

I've had a couple issues with it, but I'm still under warranty, so hasn't been an expensive vehicle for me. I love the flexibility of it!!

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Just look at the pictures of the wreck I was in Saturday and you can see it's pretty safe for her. My son and I walked away with minor injuries. Nothing to have to go to the hospital for. Major pain for both of us is where the seat belts locked and bruised our shoulders!

·
Registered
55 Posts
My son has an 09 with the 2.0 and auto. He likes it a lot. Gas mileage is good 27 city/highway. We've driven it to Kansas and to Florida several times and it is pretty comfortable.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I must say that the vehicle is very popular in the western Chicago suburbs. Parking lots are just full of them. I think it is their size and utility. Then again, I guess this type of vehicle (Mazda,....) is really popular now with the higher gas prices.

·
Registered
130 Posts
If your girlfriend is really interested, buy soon, because Fiat has decreed that Calibers will become
white elephants in 2012.
Not a problem however, if you like the looks, and the specifications, just wait for a 2012 Subaru Imprenza!
They played copy-cat! Don't believe me? Look at these pics. The Subaru one is in the latest Motor Trend mag!

See! you just change the badges......!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts