Allpar Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
37,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gladiator gets new, factory-warranted half-doors

In case you were wondering, the option is for two sets of doors - full and half - and read the article for details on how clever they were... I think this is a big improvement over the older designs. Might only be new to Gladiator, not Wrangler, but still I dropped out of touch over the last few years with the removable-door details.

Pricing's in there too... ouch! Engineering, tooling, and testing aren't cheap.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
The thread on this over at the Gladiator forum is hilarious. I got a really good chuckle out of the comments this morning when I was enjoying my chocolate milk and biscuits.

"Why not just take the doors off?"

"Or, roll down the windows?"

"Why is everything $5,000?"

"That's like decaffeinated coffee. What's the point?"

"That's a Jeep thing I don't understand."

"Back in the YJ days people got stuck with half doors and wanted full ones....now it's the opposite."

Hahahaha.... the internet may be inherently evil, but there ARE good things about it. 😅😂

·
Registered
14,815 Posts
The thread on this over at the Gladiator forum is hilarious. I got a really good chuckle out of the comments this morning when I was enjoying my chocolate milk and biscuits.

"Why not just take the doors off?"

"Or, roll down the windows?"

"Why is everything $5,000?"

"That's like decaffeinated coffee. What's the point?"

"That's a Jeep thing I don't understand."

"Back in the YJ days people got stuck with half doors and wanted full ones....now it's the opposite."

Hahahaha.... the internet may be inherently evil, but there ARE good things about it. 😅😂
The YJ comment is the best because it is sooooooo TRUE!!!!!

·
Jeepaholic
6,155 Posts
If you want to laugh, read the comments section.
If you want to be mad, read the comments section.
If you want to scratch your head and wonder how humans made it beyond making fire in a cave, read the comments section.

I agree though, many of those comments passed through my mind when I heard about the half doors the first time around. Lol.

·
Valued Member
2,666 Posts
Reminds of the cow milking machine salesman who sells a machine to a farmer with one cow and takes the cow as a down payment.
What a wonderful world when you can sell a car with full doors or half doors and the people will line up to buy it no matter the cost.
Just like the I-Phone business. Some people gotta have the latest gadget just to show how cool they are.
Only in America. 😇
The question is what half of the door do you get? Top or bottom!! 😇

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Sounds like I'm in the minority here. I like the idea. I live in FL where the full size doors would be helpful in the summer with our monsoon rains and blistering heat when the a/c is on all the time. The half doors would be perfect for the late fall through early spring when temps are perfect. That said if I was moving to TN or back to NC (which hopefully I do) I'd be half doors almost all year around. My understanding is the benefit would be having the mirrors, and all the blind spot gadgets operating with the half doors vs no doors.

·
Jeepaholic
6,155 Posts
When I had my TJ with half doors, it was pretty cool in the mild central NY summers, with the top down and the plastic/canvas(?) uppers removed. In the wind though, it would catch those flimsy uppers and try to pull them out…a little disconcerting on the Highway...even the sturdier fiberglass ones I had bought.

In the much hotter summers in the Philly area, I could have the top off more often, but on the way to work it wasn’t that helpful, especially without AC. I always wished that I had bought the full doors with the roll up windows, as the slider windows I had with the fiberglass uppers didn’t help much…they pretty much directed any air coming in behind you.

Would I have liked to have both, and would I now as well? Yes. But not for $5k or whatever. I’d rather just get full doors because they’d be better for me for the majority of usage.

·
Super Moderator
38,541 Posts
I like the idea of half doors. But the cost is way more than I'll spend on them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts