Allpar Forums banner

281 - 296 of 296 Posts

·
Super Moderator
37,708 Posts
By your logic Chrysler is misspelling. It should be Kreisler.
No, because Chrysler IS the proper spelling of the name at this time and place. Walter didn't spell it any other way.

You may forget, but out of respect for Sergio there was a push to remove posts calling Sergio "sweater guy" or "sweater man", Tavares deserves the same respect.
Criticize decisions, but at least have the respect to use the proper name.

With that, this conversation is done.

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
Are you the one who had posted thread about high costs at Italian FCA factories?

Well, mister Tavaresh thinks the same about American factories.
I can say as much.

It will be interesting to see where will it bring the company.
If I post an article, those are not my words. Those are the words from the author. We then discuss those.

Do you have problems understanding such things? I post good and bad stories. I post stories with bad journalism so we can set the record right. I post stories about success and failure.

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
Are you the one who had posted thread about high costs at Italian FCA factories?

Well, mister Tavaresh thinks the same about American factories.
I can say as much.

It will be interesting to see where will it bring the company.
Italian factories have high costs because they are not productive and under-utilized. The same is true of some American factories. Belvidere is not doing well because the FCA-designed Cherokee is a sales failure and cannot support the plant by itself.

If you remember, I was the advocate for keeping the Chrysler 200 and building it alongside the Cherokee to better utilize the plant.

Once again, I was right.

·
Super Moderator
37,708 Posts
Thanks God they didn't do it. Once again excellent call from Maglione. Of course @valiant67 will take calling him Maglione wrongfully as and insult. But maybe he should go to a schooling at some linguist.
Common courtesy is calling people by their proper name or names. If you insist on trying to use linguistics to justify your mutilation of names, here is how you properly list a name with its pronunciation:
Sergio Marchionne [ˈsɛrdʒo marˈkjɔnne] (using Italian phonetics)
or Sergio Marchionne [sur·jee·ow maar·kee·ow·nee] (using AMerican phonetics)

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
@T_690 don't bring me into your arguments.

Trolling includes continued misspelling of a person's name.
That's subjective.

Common courtesy is calling people by their proper name or names. If you insist on trying to use linguistics to justify your mutilation of names, here is how you properly list a name with its pronunciation:
Sergio Marchionne [ˈsɛrdʒo marˈkjɔnne] (using Italian phonetics)
or Sergio Marchionne [sur·jee·ow maar·kee·ow·nee] (using AMerican phonetics)
Don't make more out of this than it is. I've already explained it. It's like using ae for ä in German.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
But we do not use phonetic spelling in English unless we are teaching pronunciation.

I do not think you would like to be called "Toe Knee"
Can we stop making mountains out of molehills and pretending this is something other than a phonetic transcription, and being "offended" on someone else's behalf, on an enthusiasts forum? We didn't call a Ford Explorer an Exploder, and we're not attempting to write a legal document here.

TL;DR - That's a false equivalence. You didn't just correct orthography to match phonology, which is not the same as phonetic spellings. You merely took two words that sound like my nickname, as a joke. Nevermind that you don't really pronounce "Tony" as "Toe Knee" (BrE [təʊniː], AmE [toʊniː]) in English - it's [ˈtəʊn.i] in BrE and [ˈtoʊn-] in AmE (note the reduction of the [i:] (<ee>) sound at the end, which is nearly voiceless in AmE.) It's just a reasonably close approximate, unlike "Tavaresh." Besides, who's misprounouncing "Tony," which is a common nickname in English as spelled for the masculine? The same cannot be said for "Tavares." Where in English is a final "s" pronounced "sh?"

As the bearer of a Germanic family name that often gets butchered with Anglicized pronunciation, I'm decidedly nonplussed by orthographic representations that are divergent, especially from people whose native language is neither English, nor in this case, Portuguese. This is especially true given the history of transcription (translating for phoneme) vs transliteration (translating letters).

"Tavares" is the Portuguese spelling. It's not represent in English phonology properly. Only in modern times do foreign names not get orthographically corrected into other languages. Only in the last 250 years or so does spelling even get standardized.

Reactions: T_690

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #288
I'm still waiting for American car reporter or analyst who will not mispronounce Peugeot or who will pronounce it more closely to the original form. So far it was disastrous.
They are doing it right in English.
Pronunciation
It's not supposed to be the same as French or even British English.

French
Pronunciation

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #289
Can we stop making mountains out of molehills and pretending this is something other than a phonetic transcription, and being "offended" on someone else's behalf, on an enthusiasts forum? We didn't call a Ford Explorer an Exploder, and we're not attempting to write a legal document here.

TL;DR - That's a false equivalence. You didn't just correct orthography to match phonology, which is not the same as phonetic spellings. You merely took two words that sound like my nickname, as a joke. Nevermind that you don't really pronounce "Tony" as "Toe Knee" (BrE [təʊniː], AmE [toʊniː]) in English - it's [ˈtəʊn.i] in BrE and [ˈtoʊn-] in AmE (note the reduction of the [i:] (<ee>) sound at the end, which is nearly voiceless in AmE.) It's just a reasonably close approximate, unlike "Tavaresh." Besides, who's misprounouncing "Tony," which is a common nickname in English as spelled for the masculine? The same cannot be said for "Tavares." Where in English is a final "s" pronounced "sh?"

As the bearer of a Germanic family name that often gets butchered with Anglicized pronunciation, I'm decidedly nonplussed by orthographic representations that are divergent, especially from people whose native language is neither English, nor in this case, Portuguese. This is especially true given the history of transcription (translating for phoneme) vs transliteration (translating letters).

"Tavares" is the Portuguese spelling. It's not represent in English phonology properly. Only in modern times do foreign names not get orthographically corrected into other languages. Only in the last 250 years or so does spelling even get standardized.
It depends upon the language when spelling was standardized. Martin Luther standardized German for around 450 years in 1522, Noah Webster did it for American English in 1828, only 192 years ago. For Chinese, the standard Pinyin Romanization was adopted in 1949, only 72 years ago.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
It depends upon the language when spelling was standardized. Martin Luther standardized German for around 450 years in 1522, Noah Webster did it for American English in 1828, only 192 years ago. For Chinese, the standard Pinyin Romanization was adopted in 1949, only 72 years ago.
Well, yes, but German standardization is largely synthetic, to suit the needs of Luther's efforts, and aside from things like BrE vs AmE spellings, English standardization is much more an organic event. Not that the point isn't valid, but we're talking about English orthography, not German or Chinese.

Meanwhile, back to our regularly scheduled program:
Global Electrification...

·
Registered
82 Posts
If it will save jobs in Italy, and make the plant more profitable, it is a good choice.

Some say that the line will be transfered in Poland to make the CMP triplets... if it works, I think it’s an intelligent choice.

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
If it will save jobs in Italy, and make the plant more profitable, it is a good choice.

Some say that the line will be transfered in Poland to make the CMP triplets... if it works, I think it’s an intelligent choice.
FAR more intelligent than just letting it sit idle in Italy.

·
Plymouth Makes It
8,143 Posts
Jumping in late, I broke out of mu self imposed confinement. First stop at local convenience store WAWA just after church got out, half the vehicles were mid to large size suvs the rest were compact cars and compact "suvs" really not sure what you call them. Sprinkling of 300 sized vehicles and one Challenger beside me. Have the feeling auto makers will try to push people into higher margin vehicles soon. I don't think the cash will be there for a lot of people. If electrification is on the way high priced vehicles won't cut it, especially with bugs that new products bring. My 2 cents for now.

Still find it hard to navigate this site, old and slow but I do get there.

American cars need to be made in America, chip shortage is unforgivable. I'm going with the company that can produce affordable cars. I don't want to saddle family survivors with my debt after I move on.

281 - 296 of 296 Posts