Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Moderator/Lead Reporter - Motorsports News Section
10,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Global Rally Cross is in it's summer swing & off to it's 2nd stop on the American part of the schedule in Thunder Valley in Bristol Tennessee! The High Banks of the track are going to provide yet another element to the course which will be 60% pavement & 40% dirt.

Last week, Team Pastrana Racing & the Dodge Dart's showed some promise as both teams made the LCQ which Travis Pastrana did win, but Bryce Menzies suffered from mechanical problems & was eliminated. Travis in the Finals did get a good start but his car also suffered from mechanical problems as well.

Will Team Pastrana be able to get over the bugs that have plagued them this year?? Tune in to ESPN 3.com & ESPN -TV this Saturday July 20th to find out as we will be covering this race LIVE here on Allpar.com.

Probable Driver Entry List

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Just a note, "both teams made the LCQ" is not an accomplishment.
The LCQ, is the Last Chance Qualifier and means they bombed in their heat race and failed to make the Main Event.
That being said, Pastrana did look good in winning the LCQ and Menzies was also in the transfer spot until he cut down a tire.
The cars do seem to be getting better, just hope they have some butts in the seats this race.

·
10,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MoparNorm said:
Just a note, "both teams made the LCQ" is not an accomplishment.
The LCQ, is the Last Chance Qualifier and means they bombed in their heat race and failed to make the Main Event.
That being said, Pastrana did look good in winning the LCQ and Menzies was also in the transfer spot until he cut down a tire.
The cars do seem to be getting better, just hope they have some butts in the seats this race.
Pastrana did mention that last week that he was going to attack the inside line rather than the outside of the 1st turn & said that was his mistake in the heat race. The 1st turn & clearing it in the lead or at least without having cars around you is key to finishing well. Now if the cars would just hold up under all the abuse, the team would finish races a lot better. The team needs to figure out why these cars loose power under braking or when cars lightly bump each other as in the case of Menzies last week in the hairpin turn. Clutch, transmission issues or turbo issues from all the dirt these cars accumulate could be the culprit. This also makes me wonder why some of the Fords don't suffer the same problems we do?

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Likely their experience in Rally Racing at Ford has the components better placed.

·
10,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Company Profile - Cooper Tires!

As the official tire for Global RallyCross, we thought you would enjoy this little read on just who Cooper Tire is & how they are a player in the Motorsports scene.

History

The company's U.S. history dates back to 1914, when brothers-in-law John F. Schaefer and Claude E. Hart purchased M and M Manufacturing Company in Akron, Ohio, producing tire patches, tire cement and tire repair kits.

In 1915, Schaefer and Hart purchased The Giant Tire & Rubber Company of Akron, a tire rebuilding business, and two years later moved the business to Findlay, Ohio.

The firm changed its name to Cooper Tire & Rubber Company in 1946 and by July 11, 1960, the company became a publicly held corporation and was listed on the New York Stock Exchange.

The Cooper name has a proud and storied heritage that goes back nearly a century to 1914, when brothers-in-law John F. Schaefer and Claude E. Hart purchased M and M Manufacturing Company in Akron, producing tire patches, tire cement and tire repair kits. A year later, Schaefer and Hart purchased The Giant Tire & Rubber Company of Akron, a tire rebuilding business, and two years later moved the business to Findlay, Ohio..

The company grew in subsequent years through mergers, acquisitions and expanding sales. During World War II, the company demonstrated its flexibility and patriotism by converting its “hard goods” department to wartime production.

The firm changed its name to Cooper Tire & Rubber Company in 1946 and by July 11, 1960, the company became a publicly held corporation and was listed on the New York Stock Exchange. Throughout the next five decades, the company expanded its products, manufacturing plants, distribution system and marketplace. The company joined the ranks of Fortune 500 companies in 1983 as one of the largest industrial companies in the United States. Net sales reached $1 billion in 1991.

By 1999, Cooper had 50 manufacturing facilities in nine countries. Much of the company’s growth came through the acquisition of The Standard Products Company, a move that added 10,000 employees to its payroll.

With the purchase of the highly regarded Avon Tyres Limited, based in Melksham, England, in 1997 and the acquisition of Mickey Thompson Performance Tires & Wheels in 2003, Cooper positioned itself as a preeminent producer of high-performance and ultra-high performance tires.

In a December 2003 agreement, Cooper entered a joint venture with Kenda Rubber Industrial Company Ltd. for construction of a plant outside Shanghai, China, to produce radial passenger and light truck tires. Then, returning the company to its core business of tire manufacturing, in December 2004, Cooper completed the sale of its automotive business, Cooper-Standard Automotive, for approximately $1.165 billion. The sale included the 47 manufacturing facilities and operations of Cooper-Standard Automotive, which is a global manufacturer of fluid handling systems, body-sealing systems, and active and passive vibration control systems, primarily for automotive original equipment manufacturers.

The sale in turn provided new opportunities for growth. In January 2005, Cooper announced an agreement to buy 11% interest in Kumho Tire. That month, the company also announced it was forming a new commercial division encompassing both Oliver Rubber Company and commercial tires. In October 2005, the company announced an agreement to obtain 51% ownership in China’s third largest tire manufacturer, Cooper Chengshan (Shandong) Passenger Tire Company Ltd. and Cooper Chengshan (Shandong) Truck Tire Company Ltd. To complement the company’s well-established European operations and product offerings, in January 2012, Cooper acquired the assets of an existing tire plant in Krusevac, Serb ia, providing an excellent location to supply tires to the European and Russian markets.

Today Cooper Tire & Rubber Company and its family of companies is truly global, boasting more than 65 manufacturing, sales, distribution, technical and design facilities located around the world. But the company is hardly resting on past success. Cooper continues to improve plant efficiencies while capitalizing on its strong customer service and dealer relationships in North America; expanding its distribution network in Europe; and marketing Cooper Tires as a top brand in China. New products are driving increased sales and creating additional opportunity and growth potential.

This is an exciting time for Cooper as it continues to study opportunities in rapidly developing regions of the world. Continued change is inevitable for Cooper. One thing that won’t change, however, is the company’s focus on delighting customers and increasing shareholder value.

Brands

Cooper, Mastercraft, Dean, Starfire, Roadmaster, Avon Tyres, Mickey Thompson, Dick Cepek, Chenshan, Austone, Fortune and Mentor.

Parent Company

Cooper Tire & Rubber Company, Findlay, Ohio
Roy Armes, Chairman, CEO and President

Company Financials

In 2012, Cooper reported revenues of $4.2 billion.

Company Background

Primary focus is passenger car and light vehicle replacement tires in North America
The 11th largest global tire manufacturer
The fourth largest tire manufacturer in the U.S.
Market share in the U.S. is 14 percent in the light vehicle replacement market
The seventh largest truck and bus radial tire manufacturer in China

Our Business

As a leading global competitor in the tire industry, Cooper Tire & Rubber Company, together with its affiliates, subsidiaries and joint ventures has manufacturing facilities on three continents, sales and distribution networks around the world and products that meet and exceed the demands of the world's most dynamic markets. The Cooper family of companies has millions of Cooper produced tires on vehicles around the world, making our products an important difference to the quality of people’s everyday lives.

North America

Technical Center

Cooper Tire & Rubber Company

701 Lima Ave
Findlay, OH 45840
419-423-1321

Test Facility

Cooper Tire & Vehicle Test Center

3303 North I-35
Pearsall, TX 78061
888-931-9128
www.tvtc.us

RACING

Racing in Less Than 60 Seconds

As long as there has been something to drive, people have had the desire to race.

Racing is fueled from an internal passion. Racing is a great example of the desire to compete against others as a driver, to be the best no matter what they are racing. To be the first one across the finish line every time. Very few realize the dream as a professional race car driver but multitude of people get into racing every day. Racing just doesn't consist of professional drivers but people from all walks of life.

As with many different types of sports, there are levels of progression to build and test your talents. NASCAR® has their regional series', which progresses onto ARCA, then to the Nationwide Series and then to the Sprint Cup Series. In the Open wheel ladder system, drivers generally start out in Shifter Karts or Skip Barber, and progress to USF2000 Championship Series then to the Pro Mazda Championship, followed by the Indy Lights and then to IndyCar. Cooper Tire supports several racing series and types of racing for every interest.

There are also areas for those who want to make racing their hobby. NASA Racing or SCCA® Racing are two great examples of organized racing series that can challenge pro drivers as well as weekend warriors. Whatever path a driver chooses, their success relies on their goals, desire and budget.

The drive to go faster, handle better and win is all in a driver’s DNA. As long as there are cars, trucks, motorcycles, bicycles…anything with wheels, people will compete to win.

NASCAR® the NASCAR logo are registered trademarks of the National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing, Inc.

The NASCAR Sprint Cup Series™ word mark and logo are trademarks of NASCAR, Inc. and Sprint. ©2012 Sprint. Sprint and the logo are trademarks of Sprint.

2012 INDYCAR® ARE REGISTERED TRADEMARKS OF BRICKYARD TRADEMARKS, INC.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Bob!
You are on fire lately! Thanks for all of the information you are digging up! you have been all over the Allpar forums and providing great background info!

Until I read your Cooper Tire info, I had no idea they owned MT & Cepek.

·
10,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MoparNorm said:
Bob!
You are on fire lately! Thanks for all of the information you are digging up! you have been all over the Allpar forums and providing great background info!

Until I read your Cooper Tire info, I had no idea they owned MT & Cepek.
Why thank you Norm, it means a lot to know members here are paying attention to what we dig up, present daily & are trying to give us chance to educate the public & be able to win them over. Now if we could get more members posting on the other topics, my job here would be a LOT easier.

·
10,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For those who still don't know or are new to the sport of RallyCross & wonder why Dodge is here, Take a look at a press release from earlier this year, on the Dodge Dart GRC car & Team Pastrana Racing.

Dodge is going to be in this sport for a long time to come & remember, Global RallyCross is now sanctioned by the SCCA for FIA certification.

About The Dodge Dart in Global RallyCross

QUICK SPECS

MAKE Dodge

MODEL Dart

YEAR 2013

ENGINE 2.0L 4-cylinder

0-60 TIME 1.9 seconds

HP 600

Dodge and SRT Motorsports announced an all-new 2013 Dodge Dart rally car piloted by four-time Rally America Champion and 17-time X Games Gold Medalist Travis Pastrana.

“At Dodge, racing is an integral part of our heritage and embodies our competitive spirit, so we’re very excited to announce the next chapter in racing for Dodge with our all-new Dodge Dart,” said Reid Bigland, President and CEO - Dodge Brand. “The new Dart Global RallyCross Championship car with 600 horsepower and driver Travis Pastrana takes our passion for performance to all new heights.”

Pastrana, 29, is a four-time Rally America champion and owner of multiple supercross and motorcross championships. He also owns Nitro Circus, an empire that includes a television show, live tours and 3D feature film project. Pastrana is one of the most searched athletes in the world (6 million Google searches in 2010) and he has more than 3.5 million Facebook followers.

“When I first heard about GRC, I was really interested, and after watching some of the rounds last year and then actually competing at X Games I was hooked!” said Pastrana. “Now to be able to partner with Dodge to field my own program this year is a dream come true. The new Dodge Dart offers the perfect platform for rally cross, and I look forward to putting it on the podium all season long!”

Ralph Gilles, President and CEO – Street and Racing Technology Brand and Motorsports, Chrysler Group LLC,

"Having Pastrana piloting a Dodge Dart and competing in GRC is a natural fit."
“Travis is a living example of what action sports activities are all about, so he fits in perfectly with the youthfulness and passion for performance of the Dodge brand and the SRT Motorsports team,” said Gilles. “He’s proven that he can handle just about anything with wheels, so it’s going to be great to watch him pilot our new Dodge Dart in Global RallyCross.”

The Dart rally car is custom built specifically for Global RallyCross racing, but shares a few traits with the production Dodge Dart. Both vehicles have exceptional aerodynamics, are agile and fun to drive and will add a little excitement to their segments. Powered by a purpose-built, 2.0-liter, 4-cylinder, 16-valve turbo-charged 600-horsepower engine mated to a Sedav 4-wheel drive gear box that puts out more than 550 lb.-ft. of torque, the Dart rally car is ready to go.

The 2013 production Dodge Dart features three state-of-the-art powertrains that produce up to 184 horsepower and 184 lb.-ft. of torque and a sporty, fun-to-drive experience. The Dart features an athletic, sporty exterior, a world-class interior with high-quality materials, state-of-the art technology and enough exterior and interior color and material choices to fit any customer.

David Bailey, Senior Engineering Manager for SRT Motorsports, knows the new Dodge Dart Global RallyCross car is equipped to handle the intense racing conditions.

“The sport is extremely exciting and the on-track action can be brutal on the drivers and the cars,” said Bailey. “The cars are jumping higher than ever and landing safely.
The Dart rally car is lightweight with a very powerful motor. (Built by Mountune in the UK)
The zero to 60 mile-per-hour times are incredible, as low as 1.9 seconds, so with Travis behind the wheel, we can’t wait for the season opener.”

Global RallyCross is a spin-off of the X Games rally races. It combines the skill of rally racing with the excitement of X Games. The revolutionary motorsports series enters its second season and features high-flying extreme competition between cars that are relevant to today’s youth. The series consists of seven racing events in closed-course rally tracks and incorporates bumper-to-bumper competition among 600 horsepower all-wheel drive vehicles. There are 70-foot jumps over racing traffic, creating a “motocross with cars” action.

Source: Dodge press - SRT Motorsports

·
10,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Series & Teams Have arrived at the Speedway! (Sorry for the inclusion of the Ford cars)

Global Rallycross@GlobalRallyX16m
Snapshot of @FordRacing @Heikkinen57 before #GRC media ride alongs. Track is looking good here at @BMSupdates!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Team Pastrana Racing getting the cars ready for the race this weekend!

Travis Pastrana@TravisPastrana2h
team working hard getting @dodge #dart cars ready 4 another round of @GlobalRallyX battle this weekend in Bristol.

Look real closely at the transmission off to the left side of Bryce Menzies car!

·
10,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Team Dodge Press Release & Race Preview

TV Coverage - Saturday, July 20 – ESPN and ESPN3 – 4:30 p.m. EDT

DODGE GLOBAL RALLYCROSS NEWS

Pastrana Racing will field two Dodge Darts at this weekend’s GRC event at Bristol Motor Speedway. Pastrana will be competing in the NASCAR Nationwide race at Sunday afternoon at Chicagoland Speedway and will NOT be able to compete at Bristol.

Timur Timerzyanov will pilot the No. 199 Red Bull / Discount Tire Dodge Dart for the second time this season.

Timerzyanov scored a 10th-place finish in his first effort driving the No. 199 Dodge Dart fro Travis Pastrana during Rounds 2 and 3 at X Games in Munich.

• Pastrana Racing teammate Bryce Menzies will race the No. 99 Red Bull / Discount Tire Dodge Dart entry.

Saturday’s event is the first-ever Global Rallycross race at Bristol Motor Speedway.

Bryce Menzies, Driver, No. 99 Red Bull/Discount Tire Dodge Dart

AT BRISTOL ONCE AGAIN YOU ARE GOING TO TRACK THAT YOU’VE NEVER SEEN BEFORE. HOW DO YOU PREPARE FOR THAT?

“I’m really looking forward to going to Bristol. I’ve never there before. I’m just hoping that we have a really good weekend. It’s really hard on the crew because the races are so close together; I mean we don’t even have a week apart to get the cars prepped and everything. The crew has been working hard and the cars are already put back together and ready to go so I’m really looking forward to getting there and getting back behind the wheel.

“I’m feeling more and more comfortable in the car. We’re driving so much week to week that I’m just getting more comfortable with it. We’ve been struggling a little bit but I think that sometimes that we’re looking pretty good so I’m really looking forward to this weekend. Really want to get a solid performance out, just have no problems, no hiccup and come away with a really good finish for the weekend.”

IS THIS STRETCH OF RACES GOOD FOR YOUR AS A DRIVER BECAUSE YOU ARE IN THE CAR QUITE A BIT? DOES THAT HELP YOU PROGRESS AS A DRIER?

“I think having back-to-back weekends racing is actually a huge thing for me to just be in the car. I stay comfortable, I stay focused on driving the car and getting used to it where if you’re off a couple weeks you kind of forget things. I really like it. I mean, I would like to be in the car every single day so racing every weekend really helps my driving performance and just helps us develop and make the car better. It’s getting better. We’re making a lot of changes from track to track so I think this stint of races being so close is kind of playing a little bit advantage for myself just because I’m getting more seat time. I’m getting more comfortable with the car and we’re getting faster.”

HOW IMPORTANT IS IT TO HAVE A WEEKEND WHERE YOU ELIMINATE THE BAD LUCK?

“I think that’s going to be really key. We've had just some of those little things that have been going wrong that just cause you a little bit of headache. It’s going to be crucial and key to have a solid weekend of just making sure that we’re ready for the practices so we get out there and get all the laps in, get comfortable with the car so we can have a good seeding and I think that’s going to be really key. They guys are working really hard. It’s super-hard on them to fly all the way from overseas to prep the car and get it ready but I think with this week break that we've had the cars are going to be in great shape. I’m really looking forward to getting back in the seat. I know there’s not going to be any problems with it. We just need a solid weekend of no misfortune, no problems and see where we can end up with none of the problems that we've had happen.”

HOW BIG IS X GAMES LOS ANGELES FOR YOU GUYS AND WHAT WOULD IT MEAN TO YOU AND THE TEAM TO DO WELL THERE?

“I think X Games Los Angeles is one of the biggest races we have all year. Everybody knows about it. It’s close to my hometown and we’re going to have a lot of our partners out there supporting us and cheering us on. I think to go into X Games LA is huge and we need to have great performance there. We’ll see how we do in Tennessee but we need to make sure that we’re on our A-game for X Games because that’s where everybody is watching. We need to have a really solid performance.
“I raced there last year and it’s just an amazing vibe from all the fans, all the people out there. I’m really looking forward to getting back out there and racing there again and just putting on a good show for everybody.”

HOW DIFFERENT WILL THAT EVENT BE BECAUSE THE RACE SITE HAS BEEN MOVED TO IRWINDALE SPEEDWAY?

“When I heard they were switching out to Irwindale I was a little bit bummed because when you think of LA X Games it’s all downtown. But looking at the big picture I think it’s a great facility. I think we’re going to have some great racing. I think we can have a lot better track that can showcase what these Rally cars can do. Looking at the big picture I think it’s going to be a lot better racing and as far as fans and everything, it has a stadium so the event is going to be that much better. I’m really looking forward to it. Kind of bummed because it was one of the races that I’d been to before so I thought that maybe we’d be a little bit knowledgeable of the track if it was going to be the same but now it’s a fully different thing so we’re going in just as everybody is. No one knows what the track is going to be like but I’m really looking forward to it. I know they’re going to put on a great show and I can’t wait to get out there.”

Travis Pastrana, Owner, No. 199/No. 99 Red Bull/Discount Tire Dodge Dart

“All these tracks you know they’re going to be fairly similar on the pavement. The first one kind of threw us for a loop there with pretty much all dirt. But these cars now, we’ve really got the Dodge Dart setup to handle anything that we need to. Last week with the windshield wipers, it’s not something that you focus on. You know it’s a newer car; it was the first time that we had a rain situation so okay, now we know we need to be better for the rain. I feel like we had such a huge advantage. The Dodge Dart took off on those starts. I mean, Bryce went from second row to second and that was awesome on the start you know with the wet. I think that’s really good. We’ve got something going in our advantage there so if rains there we’re excited. We’ve got the kinks worked out in the wiper system and the car is awesome so we’re good.”

Gary Johnson, SRT Motorsports Racing Manager

“When you’re building your own track and don’t have to share it with another event like a Motocross you can be more specific to the kind of dirt that you’re looking for. The surface that was in Munich, for example, was very porous and allowed rainwater to go right through it. Even though we had a lot of rain just prior to Munich and even on Saturday that track drained really well and so it does make a difference at the end.”

·
10,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Updated Driver's Entry List

Same as last week except you can swap Nelson Piquet Jr. in the Mitsubishi for Liam Doran in the BMW/Mini Cooper.

Manufacturer Rundown

Ford - 7 cars

Subaru - 3 Cars

Dodge - 2 cars

BMW/Mini - 1 car.

Total - 13 cars in this race.

·
Resident Photoshop Nerd
7,997 Posts
i take it the Chevy is out still, obviously. Wonder if they've decided against it, or what.. o_O

·
10,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
suzq044 said:
i take it the Chevy is out still, obviously. Wonder if they've decided against it, or what.. o_O
Look for them at the X-Games, I think? Even my doubts are growing on GM jumping in this year. We shall see.

·
Registered
2 Posts
moparbob said:
Why thank you Norm, it means a lot to know members here are paying attention to what we dig up, present daily & are trying to give us chance to educate the public & be able to win them over. Now if we could get more members posting on the other topics, my job here would be a LOT easier.
I will second all the work you do. I lurk every race because of all the great info you put up here. Thank you

·
10,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Chris.Grimm said:
I will second all the work you do. I lurk every race because of all the great info you put up here. Thank you
Thank you! Maybe in time, you can jump in on the discussions with us, we have a lot going on here each week! Remember, we are your 1st source for all FIAT & MOPAR Motorsports News!

·
10,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Resident Photoshop Nerd
7,997 Posts
I was gonna say; vid works just fine without signing in/having an account. .. and DUDE that is a downpour. That sucks. :glare:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts