Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Moderator/Lead Reporter - Motorsports News Section
10,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Team Pastrana gets to try to improve the program again as the Global Rally Cross Series heads to Alanta Motor Speedway this week for another Sylvania ZXE event. This is the 1st time Alanta Motor Speedway has hosted a GRC event which will take place on the front stretch & pit lane of the facility.

Allpar.com will have all the pre-race updates & present results of each of the seedings & race heats leading up to the finals. Race news may be slightly delayed this week as MoparBob is away on assignment. Hemi Magnum will be here to assist in the reporting efforts. If there is ANYONE who could help fill in the news, it would be appreciated!

Race will be on ESPN 2 Sunday August 10th.

More to come later this week.

·
10,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
From Ian Davies Motorsports on Facebook: (Bryce Menzies Crew Chief)

"Shhhhhhs my girls are a sleep".

·
10,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Too bad I'm going to miss seeing this race! Got a job to do!

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
mopar22 said:
Bryce is out of car this weekend, Henning Solberg will take his place
Is there a backstory to this?
Are they trying to find a winning combination?
Did Menzies have a previous commitment?
The rotating driver roster does concern me a bit, as continuity and familiarity play a big part in consistency.

·
10,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MoparNorm said:
Is there a backstory to this?
Are they trying to find a winning combination?
Did Menzies have a previous commitment?
The rotating driver roster does concern me a bit, as continuity and familiarity play a big part in consistency.
Menzies has a TORC race at Red Bud this week!

Now this puts the teams to the test to see if the cars are the problem or not???

Strange as there is no SRT Press Release yet which usually is out by now! Must be because of the ALMS race & the media is there & can't be in two places at once?

Muther, would you care to comment as you know RallyCross more than anyone else here?

·
10,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is some background on Henning Solberg, also he DOES have past experience driving in a Ford which could help our teams out!

From Wikipedia:

Henning Solberg (born 8 January 1973) is a Norwegian rally driver. Together with co-driver Ilka Minor, he currently competes in the World Rally Championship (WRC) with Stobart M-Sport Ford. Solberg is the older brother of the 2003 world champion Petter Solberg and stepfather of Swedish rally driver Pontus Tidemand.

Henning Solberg was born in Spydeberg. Like his younger brother Petter, Henning started his career as a driver in bilcross (Norwegian low-budget rallycross similar to Swedish folkrace and Finnish jokamiehenluokka) and rallycross events, and switched completely to rallying in the mid 1990s. Between 1999 and 2003, he became the Norwegian Rally Champion for five years in a row.

After several events as a privateer in the WRC, Solberg got a contract with Bozian Racing for the 2004 season. At his first event with the Peugeot 206 WRC, the 2004 Swedish Rally, Solberg took his first WRC points by driving to sixth place. This remained his best result and only points-finish of the season.

For the 2005 season, Solberg was signed by the BP Ford World Rally Team, Ford's factory WRC team. He competed in seven rounds alongside Ford's main drivers Toni Gardemeister and Roman Kresta. His best result came at the Cyprus Rally, where he beat team-mates Gardemeister and Kresta to the fourth place. With nine points, Solberg finished 14th in the drivers' world championship.

Stobart Ford (2007–2011)

Solberg driving a Ford Focus RS WRC 06 at the 2007 Rally GB.

For 2007, Solberg was given a full-time drive with the Stobart VK M-Sport Ford Rally Team. He achieved his second podium finish in the World Rally Championship by driving his Ford Focus RS WRC 06 to third place at his home event, the 2007 Rally Norway, when the rally was part of the WRC calendar for the first time. He later took his career third podium finish at the 2007 Rally Japan, and finished sixth in the drivers' championship, ahead of Subaru's Chris Atkinson and his young team-mate Jari-Matti Latvala.

Solberg retained his place at the Stobart team for the 2008 season. In Sweden he was on course for a podium finish before a puncture and a crash on the second day put him out of the points. For México Solberg was nominated to score points for the Munchi's team. He achieved a fifth place finish despite suffering two punctures.[1] In the series' first-ever Jordan Rally, he recorded his best result of the season by finishing fourth. After five more points-scoring finishes were followed by five rallies with no points, Solberg finished eighth overall in the drivers' standings. At the 2008 Mountain Rally Norway, the first round in the 2008 Norwegian Rally Championship, Henning took first in his class driving a Ford Fiesta ST N3.[2]

Solberg driving a Ford Focus RS WRC 08 at the 2009 Rally GB.

In 2009, Solberg had his career-best start to the season. He drove his Focus RS WRC 08 to fourth place both in the season-opening Rally Ireland and the following Rally Norway. After a road accident ended his chances in Cyprus, he finished fifth in Portugal and took his career fourth podium place in Argentina, behind the Citroën duo Sébastien Loeb and Dani Sordo. He achieved another podium in Poland.

In 2010 Solberg was driving Ford Focus RS WRC 08 at first 6 events but at 2010 Rally Bulgaria he drove a Ford Fiesta S2000. At 2010 Rally Finland, 2010 Rallye Deutschland and 2010 Rally Japan he drove Ford Focus RS WRC 08 again. At last two rallies he drove Ford Fiesta S2000. His co-driver is Ilka Minor, but during her injury was his co-driver Stéphane Prévot. Every time Solberg participated in WRC with a S2000 car he scored points and beat a few WRC drivers.

2013-present

Solberg made his return to the WRC on the 2013 World Rally Championship's second round, Rally Sweden, after a one-year hiatus. His co-driver was Emil Axelsson, and used M-Sport's Fiesta WRC. The car sported a full white design without any sponsors, although they later put up "Can you watch this space?" stickers to cover the space on the sides and the hood. The pairing finished 8th, after a 4m20s time penalty. Solberg stated in a stage-end interviw that he's working to find funds for a programme, but nothing is certain yet.

·
10,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This just in, Travis Pastrana will also not be able to race in Atlanta this weekend!

Timur Timerzanyov will replace Travis Pastrrana in the # 199 Dodge Dart!

The reason for the driver changes are that the GRC race was originally scheduled for Sunday but was moved back to Saturday!

There will NOT be a SRT Motorsports press release for GRC since Chrysler Media is in Elkhart Lake this weekend.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
moparbob said:
There will NOT be a SRT Motorsports press release for GRC since Chrysler Media is in Elkhart Lake this weekend.
Chrysler Media is unaware of email, fax and or the internet?
Not real sure why location controls a Press Release?
They could have written that release days ago, on the flight, etc. etc.
Its another one of those things that keeps us back behind the other brands...

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Really? How can they even change it like that? Weather? Odd...

Funny, at the start of the year, it was said that Dart 99 would be the one going for the championship, with 199 being the "diverse" car. Guess all of that is out the window now?

This is what happens when our "star" drivers have other jobs to actually pay the bills instead of having a program with concentrated, full-time drivers.

On the flip side, should be interesting to see a new pair of teammates this weekend. Quite the formidable lineup. We've seen Timur isn't afraid to rub fenders and an accomplished racer like Solberg won't pull over either. And, as noted, gives a fresh perspective on the car's performance.

And yeah, major fail on not having a Press Release. wt[eff].

·
10,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
PASTRANA RACING DEBUTS ALL-NEW DRIVER LINEUP AT ATLANTA

Fans of Pastrana Racing who are used to seeing Travis Pastrana and Bryce Menzies in the team’s two Dodge Darts will have to get used to a wholly different lineup in Saturday’s race at Atlanta Motor Speedway.

Timur Timerzyanov, who has been Pastrana’s fill-in at races in Munich and Bristol, will return to the #199 car. Timerzyanov has made it to the main event twice in four starts this year, ranking 14th in points with a total of 22. (He also raced at X Games Los Angeles with Marklund Motorsport as a teammate to Anton Marklund.)

But with Menzies unavailable for this weekend’s race, the team had to bring in a fresh face for the #99 team: Henning Solberg, the five-time Norwegian Rally champion and a veteran of over 100 World Rally Championship starts.

After debuting in WRC in 1998, Solberg shifted his focus to the series in 2004. He spent some of his best seasons in M-Sport Fords prepared by Ian Davies, who will be his crew chief. Together, they finished sixth in both the 2007 and 2009 WRC standings. Solberg’s WRC totals include six podium finishes, 31 stage victories, and 230 points.

Solberg’s transition to rallycross has been a return to his roots of sorts. He began his career in Norwegian bilcross, an entry-level version of the sport, before switching to stage rally in the mid-1990s. Earlier this year, he made his return to the sport by driving two races in Europe for Per Eklund, running the same Saab 9-3 that Andy Scott and Samuel Hubinette drove in Global Rallycross last season.

Photo credit: QBA/QNIGAN.com

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Just came to post what I saw from DriveSRT's weekend preview, but Bob pretty much posted it all:

The Global Rallycross event at Atlanta Motor Speedway (AMS) was originally scheduled for Sunday but recently moved to Saturday. The schedule change has forced a shuffle in the driver lineup at Pastrana Racing. Both Travis Pastrana and Bryce Menzies have previous commitments for Saturday.

Piloting the two Dodge Darts at AMS on Saturday will be Timur Timerzyanov replacing Pastrana in the No.199 and Henning Solberg in the No. 99 normally driven by Menzies.

Timerzyanov has driven for Pastrana Racing previously this season while Solberg, a Norwegian rally driver, is making his first start in the No. 99 Dodge Dart.
Still interested to know what influenced the last minute change... Who does that? Are they TRYING to screw the Dodge team? :lol:

Edit: Rain is in the forecast all weekend in Hampton, Georgia; 40% chance on Saturday, 60% on Sunday... I dunno.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
hemi_magnum said:
Just came to post what I saw from DriveSRT's weekend preview, but Bob pretty much posted it all:
Bob's the MAN and unlike Chrysler Media, he has an uncanny ability to mention races that are no where near his location... ;)

Reactions: hemi_magnum

·
Resident Photoshop Nerd
7,997 Posts
Supposed to be a thunderstorm here in Macon too; but the weather here is constantly changing. You really can't rely on the forecast most of the time.. at least that's what I'm learning now that I'm in the vicinity. xD

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
suzq044 said:
Supposed to be a thunderstorm here in Macon too; but the weather here is constantly changing. You really can't rely on the forecast most of the time.. at least that's what I'm learning now that I'm in the vicinity. xD
Macon!? I spent a few summers there as a boy, my aunt and uncle lived there for many years. The same red dirt as Arizona. ;)

·
10,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Blair Stopnik@stopnik22m
Good article on our team for this weekend.

http://www.global-rallycross.com/news/features/solberg-brings-world-class-talent-to-global-rallycross/ @GlobalRallyX @TravisPastrana @PastranaRacing

Henning Solberg@HSolberg73
1h
Thanks for the proper article @GlobalRallyX http://www.global-rallycross.com/news/features/solberg-brings-world-class-talent-to-global-rallycross/ #grcatlanta @TeamDodge

Or simply read below! We always have you covered here on Allpar.com!

SOLBERG BRINGS WORLD-CLASS TALENT TO GLOBAL RALLYCROSS

Global Rallycross fans may not yet be familiar with Henning Solberg, who will make his series debut at Atlanta Motor Speedway as a substitute driver for Bryce Menzies at Pastrana Racing. But one thing is clear about the Norwegian veteran: he’s got the talent to run up front on race day.

Solberg, who won the national rally championship five times in Norway, began to focus on the World Rally Championship full-time in 2004 after debuting in 1998. In 108 career starts, he has six podium finishes and 230 career points, as well as two sixth place finishes in the overall standings. His seat time this season was split between a single World Rally drive in Sweden, where he finished eighth overall, and a handful of European rallycross events in Per Eklund’s ex-GRC Saab 9-3, until he got the call to drive in Atlanta this weekend.

“It was one man on the team I knew from before (crew chief Ian Davies),” explains Solberg. “He called me last week and asked if I wanted to come and drive. He is my old engineer from World Rally.”

“I worked with him from 2005 till 2008. and then again in 2011,” notes Davies. “We podiumed in Norway (2007), Japan (2007), and Great Britain (2011) in that time. He was a customer driver raising his own finance in an era when Sebastian Loeb, Marcus Gronholm, Petter Solberg, et cetera, were rallying. A podium then wasn’t easy to come by.”

Since switching from rally back to rallycross, a sport in which he competed in the early 1990s, Solberg has noted that one of the most important things is to take care of his tires. “These tires we are driving, I think are the same tires we have in the European championship. If you drive on these tires, you have to be careful and smooth always to get the best times. So that is the key to go fast.”

That ability to adjust, plus some strong help behind the scenes, has already paid off this year. At the July 6-7 rallycross event in Sweden, where Solberg finished fourth, fellow Norewgian GRC driver Sverre Isachsen acted as Solberg’s boss.

“He was taking care of my radio and all the team stuff for us,” Solberg says. “Because of him, the car was perfect, the setup was perfect. We were number four overall of 35 or 36 cars.”

Solberg will pair with Timur Timerzyanov, who he beat in the semifinal in Sweden for that event’s final transfer spot.

“The season is not yet finished for the Dodge team, and I think we’re trying to develop something special,” notes Timerzyanov, who will make his fourth start in the Dodge on Saturday and fifth overall. “Henning is a very good driver with a good knowledge of driving, because he was in the World Rally Championship. I think for him it will be easy to understand this car and how to drive it.”

Though Saturday will be a one-race deal, Solberg has set respectable expectations for himself—and hopes to be back sooner than later.

“I will try to come to the final, that’s my target, and I will see from there,” he says. “(Toomas) Heikkinen has been very fast for four or five rounds. But it’s not easy to beat anyone, so we will see.

“(After Atlanta), I will come back. If I have a car and some team, or this team, want me back, I will come and drive. No problem!”

Photo credit: Matthew Kalish - Global RallyCross

Tweets from Henning Solberg

Henning Solberg@HSolberg731h
I'm in atlanta this week to drive for @teamdodge in the globalrallyx series. Let's battle! #grcatlanta http://instagram.com/p/czQ2tvAN4Y/

Henning Solberg@HSolberg738 Aug

My first day of "official" social media. Might as well share. http://instagram.com/p/cwYTm_ANyl/

Henning Solberg@HSolberg738 Aug

@TravisPastrana @TeamDodge @GlobalRallyX Thanks Travis. I'm on my way from #Oslo. #USA bound. I can't wait to get in to battle!

Henning Solgberg's comments on racing this weekend in Atlanta!

I've had the honor of being flown out to Atlanta this week by @dodge, @travispastrana and @redbull to fill @brycemenzies7 seat for this weekends@globalrallyx battle. Hoping to get a bit of time in the car today. If not, it's a bit of practice tomorrow, and straight to the fight! Either way, I'm really looking forward to this. #grcatlanta

I have a feeling Timur and I are going to have some fun times this weekend... #grcatlanta#globalrallycross @redbull thanks again@travispastrana and @brycemenzies7.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Gosh I wish this thing will work out. At some point luck has to come this teams's way, right? :)

There seems to be a lot of optimism and an overall upbeat attitude; that's good to see.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts