Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Moderator/Lead Reporter - Motorsports News Section
10,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just caught this post & comment from Pastrana Racing's Ian Davies Facebook page, Ian Davies who is the Crew Chief for Bryce Menzies.

Ian Davies Motorsport

Charlotte next week Pastrana Racing and Dodge doing some development work hopefully for the future of the Rally Cross programe.

Reading into this does this mean that Dodge may give up on the GRC program if results are not up to par???

Your thoughts on what this comment might mean??

·
10,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have gone as far as to begin to ask Denny Darnell & Gary Johnson on their commitment to the Rallycross Program. Just wish I would have thought of it when I was at Road America when I interviewed both of them! :frusty:

My direct question to Ian Davies was:

What do you mean by "hopefully"? Is Dodge Planning on pulling the plug on the RallyCross program?

Just received a reply from Ian Davies and his reply reads:

No Bob, but as you know, in motorsports everything is on an annual basis.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I watched it a few times and wasn't impressed with the series or the format. Unlike Nascar, I wouldn't care if Chrysler dropped this sponsorship. Let those totally butt ugly Fords have it all.

·
10,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
plymouth1 said:
I watched it a few times and wasn't impressed with the series or the format. Unlike Nascar, I wouldn't care if Chrysler dropped this sponsorship. Let those totally butt ugly Fords have it all.
Please no GRC bashing posts please from the NASCAR crowd.

This thread is just speculation, not factual about what was posted on Facebook.

For the NASCAR crowd we have the Canadian Tire Series for you to follow which Dodge is heavily promoted & wins regularly in & also promoted here on Allpar.com

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Bob, As I mentioned several times in the Motorsports section, GRC is playing to empty houses (and seats) they have to come up with a better plan to get butts in the seats, as lower tier TV coverage can't sustain it past this year.
Either the format or tracks have to change to get more fan involvement.

·
Registered
819 Posts
No bashing. Just my opinion of what I think about the situation. Losing GRC would not be a problem whatsoever.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
I think one thing that would be positive about the circuit, which is pretty cool, running dirt, concrete/asphalt, corners, banks and jumps, would be something like making it a longer circuit. Not only can't any of the cars really shine in the corners, straightaways, passes, or jumps, they don't have any recoverty time to speak of before jumping into something new. No true winding the engine out, no big braking to the next obstacle, and the bump and run is cool for trucks and bikes on dirt tracks, but not so good for cars on dirt and concrete competing with each other, the best bumper wins and the race is so short, recovery can't be done as a great comeback, just have to wait for the leader to make a mistake or follow him to the end. It is akin to watching a pachinko machine with multiple balls going at the same time.

·
Resident Photoshop Nerd
7,995 Posts
I think they chose the wrong car to go into GRC with; which is unfortunate.

I was thinking something along the lines of the 500 would do well there; unless they decided to start separating classes by wheelbase. Then you'd have Focus vs. Dart instead of insane little Fiestas vs. the big Darts. Not to mention the Cruze etc would likely hop in along with the Golf/Jetta, etc.

This series just caters too much to the swb Fiestas, honestly; and the fact that the "lower tier" they've added uses the Fiestas as well, makes me think this whole thing might just be sponsored by Ford.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
suzq044 said:
I think they chose the wrong car to go into GRC with; which is unfortunate.
The Dart was their new offering, so the car isn't the wrong car, the series of GRC, is the wrong series to use to feature the Dart.
They could have used SCCA, or placed Dart, in some other road racing series.
GRC needs a car the size of the Abarth 500, but the Dart is what they have, just poor planning, and placing the opportunity to get X Games exposure with Travis Pastrana, ahead of reality.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
hard to say, I suspect Dodge is thinking about their investment. I suspect they want to stay in GRC, and they want the team to improve. I suspect they are looking at a lot of the things we were talking about in the thread, in Mo'Sport forum.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
Well, the Neon was dominant in the SCCA series about a decade ago. Time to look at that venue?

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
dana44 said:
Well, the Neon was dominant in the SCCA series about a decade ago. Time to look at that venue?
With the right factory parts, it could once again, be so dominant, that it is legislated out of the running, Mopar get's PO'd, quits, and goes back into NASCAR.

(See how I did that, it all comes back to NASCAR. Now, how do I get DOJ into it?)

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
BINGO. Now, if they wanted to save some cash and time, start prepping now and cut out the middle junk and go directly to the right racing series.

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
dana44 said:
Just so you know, GRC is a SCCA Pro Racing sanctioned event.

Mike

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
I don't think the response to MoparBob's question was particularly telling one way or the other; fairly typical non-answer. But clarification came later.

However, I don't foresee Dart doing well in this series ... at all. I'm one who does think it's the wrong car for the format. Honestly, the Dart seems better suited for street and tarmac.

MoparNorm gave thoughtful input about this series - that the appeal in the race demographic is likely a key feature ( but as he also notes, the butts in the seats and the eyes right there at the race itself is minimal compared to those of us who watch on Internet/TV.

I brought this up before, and just for devil's advocate's sake I'll post it once more ( not trying to be an In-yer-face kinda guy ... honestly ), since I'm convinced street/concrete/tarmac surfaces will likely be much better in wringing-out the designed-in performance of the Dart as it's offered right now:

I really do think the FIA World Touring Car Championship series would be one of the best fits for the car -

http://www.fiawtcc.com/videogallery

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
Mike V. said:
Just so you know, GRC is a SCCA Pro Racing sanctioned event.

Mike
I'm sorry, I figured you knew what I meant. I meant SCCA Class C Showroom Stock class, 1995, 1996, 1997 winner.

T

·
0 Posts
If all I have to watch is Dodges in Canadian nascar, they can stick it. Thank god the NFL is back.

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
dana44 said:
I'm sorry, I figured you knew what I meant. I meant SCCA Class C Showroom Stock class, 1995, 1996, 1997 winner.
You must realize, the SCCA is not the same place it was in the hey day of the Neon ACR. The point was, GRC is SCCA racing ;)

I'm well aware of Neon ACRs racing record, it raced in both showroom stock C and showroom stock B. Remember, I owned (still own) and raced them.

Additionally, Chrysler Group actually won the championship in the new entry level "B-Spec" SCCA Series last year with a Fiat 500.

Mike
Trailduster45 said:
If all I have to watch is Dodges in Canadian nascar, they can stick it. Thank god the NFL is back.
That's too bad for you, I sure enjoy watching Dodge dominate.

Mike

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
Mike, why didn't you tell us this earlier? I imagine you can see some of the geometrical problems in handling the larger car as I have pointed out. Your input and ideas would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
To be completely blunt about it, I wish Chrysler would stop putting money into all racing, and start to build better cars and fast. Chrysler is still not respected. Tired of the anti-Chrysler perception that is still rooted in this country. Stop wasting money in racing, IMO, it no longer matters like it once did. This opinion may not sit well with others, but I think Chrysler could be great one day, if they had laser focus. Ford is pulling their money from NHRA. Racing is not what it used to be. Please spare me the lectures, this is my opinion, not yours. Tired of the millions (maybe) being wasted on racing. Sorry, rant is over.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts