Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Moderator/Lead Reporter - Motorsports News Section
10,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Team Pastrana 199 Racing is back after two weeks off from the last race in Bristol, TN. & after showing a little promise getting to the finals, both cars had trouble with tire issues which knocked Bryce Menzies out of the LCQ & Timur Timerzanyov out the finals. Can the Dodge Darts rebound & get another chance to win here at Irwindale Speedway for the biggest Global Rally Cross race on the North American schedule?

Invited Drivers Entry List

Steve Arpin - Ford

Ken Block - Ford

Brian Deegan - Ford

Tanner Foust - Ford

Toomas Heikkinen - Ford

Patrik Sandell - Ford

Liam Doran - BMW/Mini

Sverre Isachsen - Subaru

Bucky Lasek - Subaru

Dave Mirra - Subaru

Steven Verdier - Subaru (switched from Hyundai)

Rhys Millen - Hyundai (Veloster)

David Sterckx - Hyundai (Veloster)

Anton Marklund - Volkswagen (Polo)

Timur Timerzanyov - Volkswagen (Polo)

Bryce Menzies - (Dodge)

Travis Pastrana - (Dodge)

Initially saw Patrick Moro on this list but he now has been removed.

·
10,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
X GAMES LOS ANGELES ATTRACTS LARGEST FIELD OF GLOBAL RALLYCROSS SEASON

Global Rallycross will see no fewer than 18 Supercars—a season high—at X Games Los Angeles, the final X Games event of the 2013 schedule. Besides 13 GRC regulars, three drivers will make their season debuts, including two who competed in the 2012 season.

Rhys Millen, who fielded two Hyundai Velosters for himself and Stephan Verdier last year, will return to GRC competition for the first time since scoring a third place finish in last year’s season finale. Millen finished in a tie for third place in last year’s championship, despite skipping the New Hampshire round.

Millen’s team will campaign the same two vehicles, with Rally America veteran David Sterckx making his GRC debut in the other car. Sterckx comes to X Games with momentum, having won the Super Production class and finishing fourth overall in this weekend’s New England Forest Rally.

Verdier will be back as well, reviving the Subaru WRX STI that he campaigned to three podiums and fifth place in the 2011 championship. He will be the only true privateer in the field, racing on his own dime with limited sponsorship.

Meanwhile, two more familiar faces will return to the series in the two Marklund Motorsport Volkswagen Polo's.

Anton Marklund, who still ranks 10th in points despite missing the past two events, returns to the team’s #92 car, while Timur Timerzyanov, who has substituted for Travis Pastrana in three races this season, will join the team in the #29. In six combined starts this year, the two Marklund cars have made it to five main events, scoring three top-five finishes (all in Munich).

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Hmm.

So I guess that's the solution to the "GRC Dart engineering" thread: trade it in and get a VeeDub Polo. :lol:

Still upset over how things turned out last year. Hoping Pastrana can get past turn one this time around.

This race has potential to be something good (for our guys and the series as a whole)... Hope Team Dart executes well.

·
10,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Broadcast & Race Schedule

Broadcast of this race will be on LIVE on ESPN TV Sunday August 4th. There will be no coverage on the internet channel vis ESPN3.com

Race at Irwindale Event Center starts at 2PM PDT - 4 PM CDT - 5 PM EDT

The Track:

While we are waiting on more news to cover, here is a look at the track that the cars will be racing on this Sunday.

The outer track configuration is a .5 mile in length while the inner track is .25 miles in length.

Until we have a course preview to show, there is no information on which track is bring used for the race??

·
10,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SRT Motorsports Press Release & Race Preview

This Week's Quotes from the drivers & SRT Motorsports racing manager, Gary Johnson.

Travis Pastrana, No. 199 Red Bull/Discount Tire Dodge Dart

IS THE X GAMES EVENT IN LOS ANGELES ONE OF THE BIGGEST RACES OF THE YEAR FOR THIS TEAM?

“X Games LA (Los Angeles) is huge. There were four X Games scheduled this year and unfortunately Spain got rained out so that was really disheartening, disappointing. I felt like we had a good setup there. I’m just hoping to get in the car more and see what happens.”

HOW IMPORTANT IS IT FOR YOUR TEAM TO PERFORM WELL AT X GAMES LOS ANGELES?

“LA is the U.S. X Games. It’s the one that everyone really looks towards. You know, for this whole program it’s been a tough year. We started off pretty good last year. We’ve had a lot of DNFs but we definitely had speed. We really thought we’d come out swinging this year but a couple things caught us a little off balance. I think we've got to start picking it up. If we can get two medals at X Games, man our season would be great.”

Bryce Menzies, No. 99 Red Bull/Discount Tire Dodge Dart

HOW BIG IS X GAMES LOS ANGELES FOR YOU GUYS AND WHAT WOULD IT MEAN TO YOU AND THE TEAM TO DO WELL THERE?

“I think X Games Los Angeles is one of the biggest races we have all year. Everybody knows about it. It’s close to my hometown and we’re going to have a lot of our partners out there supporting us, cheering us on. We need to have a great performance there. We need to make sure that we’re on our A-game for X Games. We need to have a really solid performance.

“I raced there last year and it’s just an amazing vibe from all the fans, all the people out there. I’m really looking forward to racing there again and putting on a good show for everybody.”

HOW DIFFERENT WILL THAT EVENT BE BECAUSE THE RACE SITE HAS BEEN MOVED TO IRWINDALE SPEEDWAY?

“When I heard they were switching to Irwindale, I was a little bit bummed because when you think of LA X Games, it all happens downtown. But looking at the big picture, it’s a great facility and I think we’re going to have some great racing. We have a lot better track that can showcase what these Rally cars can do. I think it’s going to be a lot better racing and I’m really looking forward to it. I’m kind of bummed because it was one of the races that I’d been to before, so I thought that maybe we’d have a little knowledge about the track and what to expect. Now, no one knows what the track is going to be like. It’s going to be a great show and I can’t wait to get out there.”

Gary Johnson, SRT Motorsports Racing Manager

“We’re expecting a really good race course from Global Rallycross (GRC) which should produce plenty of intense competition. There’s always a great crowd at the LA X Games. The fans are very enthusiastic and really know a lot about the series.”

IF YOU HAVE A GOOD FINISH THIS WEEKEND, COULD THAT TURN AROUND YOUR ENTIRE SEASON.

“For sure. The car has been very good. We've just had some bad luck this season. We hope to put it all together this weekend and have the kind of results we’re capable of producing. There’s a large TV audience for X Games and we want to put on a good show.”

DID YOU KNOW

In 2006, Travis Pastrana won the inaugural X Games rally, beating the former World Rally Champion, Colin McRae, by 0.52 seconds.

TRAVIS PASTRANA

No. 199 Red Bull/Discount Tire Dodge Dart

Birthdate: 11/26/1986

Hometown: Annapolis, Md.

Crew Chief: Derik Nelson

Career Rally Highlights

•Four-time Rally America Champion (2006-2009)

• Two-time Rally gold medalist at Summer X Games (2006 & 2008)

• First-place Rally America, Olympus (2010)

• First-place Rally America, Snow Drift (2010)

• Rally America Overall Champion (2009)

BRYCE MENZIES

No. 99 Red Bull/Discount Tire Dodge Dart

Birthdate: 08/21/1987

Hometown: Mesa, Ariz.

Crew Chief: Ian Davies

Career Racing Highlights

• 2012 TORC Short Course Pro2 Class champion

• 2012 Baja 500 champion

• 2011 TORC Short Course Pro2 Class champion

• 2011 SCORE Off-Road Racing Series champion

• 2010 LOORRS Super Team of the year award

• 2010 Finished 3rd in Lucas Off Road Racing Series

There is a noticeable crew chief swap this weekend for the X- Games as Ian Davies moves from Travis's team to Bryce's team & vice versa. Will this affect the performance of the teams overall? This will be something to watch out for.

·
10,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also a preview for next year, the X-Games in the United States is being moved to Austin Texas in 2014!

Global Rally Cross to be held on the Circuit of the America's Formula 1 racetrack!

Action Sports Fans in LA must be pissed???

Video is here:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:9485196

Austin, Texas, the so-called Live Music Capital of the World, has been selected to host one of six stops on the Global X Games circuit for the next four years, ESPN announced Wednesday.

Austin was chosen from a pool of four finalists and will replace longtime host Los Angeles, which is bidding adieu to the X Games later this month after 11 years in the summer spotlight. Austin's inaugural X Games are set to take place May 15-18, 2014. Chicago, Detroit and Charlotte, N.C., also were in the running to replace L.A.

Circuit of The Americas (COTA), a 1,600-acre sports and entertainment venue 20 minutes southeast of downtown Austin, submitted the winning bid. COTA opened last year and already hosts the only Formula One race in America, the U.S. Grand Prix, which attracted 260,000 fans during its debut weekend last November.

Scott Guglielmino, ESPN's senior vice president for programming and Global X, said Austin's vibrant spirit, as well as the potential for a "festival feel" at COTA, helped sway X Games decision-makers.

"First of all, Austin as a city has done a terrific job over the last several years embracing big events," Guglielmino said. "Music, obviously, is a big piece of that, and they have a very active community and city. The other piece of it was when we got on the ground in Austin and met Bobby [Epstein, COTA's chairman and founding partner] and his group and saw the facility, it felt right very quickly. They shared a vision in terms of growing out this event."

Epstein, who touted COTA's expansive grounds and the city's "offbeat" culture, said that learning Austin's bid won was "like when you're going after a beautiful girl and you find out she likes you in return."

"If you haven't visited the venue, you would probably think of it as only a motorsports venue," Epstein said, crediting the bid's project manager, Paul Thornton, for leading the campaign. "But when you get there, you see that it's designed to host big events. We've got 1,600 acres. It's really a campus. And as part of that, there's a tremendous park area, a beautiful amphitheater. The other components of COTA are not afterthoughts. It's more than a racetrack."

The majority of competitions will be held at COTA, with the remainder staged downtown. Although this will be the first time the X Games have taken place outside of Los Angeles in the past 11 years, Guglielmino said geography didn't play a significant role in ESPN's decision.

"We view the X Games as a global play, and we view it certainly in the U.S. as a national play," he said. "So we felt comfortable in any of those four [finalist] markets that we were going to be able to resonate nationally either way."
Former San Antonio Spurs and Minnesota Vikings owner Red McCombs, another founding partner at COTA, called Austin's win "a great day for the state of Texas."

Austin Mayor Lee Leffingwell said in a statement: "The X Games celebrate fitness, courage and individuality -- traits greatly valued by our community -- and we look forward to showing the world all of the wonderful things Austin has to offer."

Austin's supporters bolstered their chances with a rousing rally at the state capitol in early June. Thousands of residents, including a strong contingent from the city's action sports community, showed up to welcome ESPN executives who were in town to evaluate the bid. Epstein remembers bumping into a man who had helped build a makeshift vert ramp for the occasion.

"He said, 'Look, I'm giving my labor and my expertise for free just because I love what this would mean to Austin,'" Epstein said. "So I think there's a genuine feeling among the people who live here that this is something we want."

Although it's too early to say whether locally popular sports such as wakeboarding will be added to the docket for Austin, Guglielmino and Epstein did say a handful of possibilities have been discussed.

The Austin X Games will take place more than two months earlier than the event they're replacing, due largely to the city's stifling summer heat. X Games Barcelona, which was plagued by rain in May, is moving to a different date. An ESPN spokesman said next year's complete Global X Games schedule will be released soon.

In an ongoing and related bid process, ESPN is currently evaluating proposals for its North American winter X Games stop. Aspen, Colo., has hosted the event since 2002, but the town's contract expires after January 2014's edition.

An announcement on where the North American winter stop will take place in 2015 and beyond is expected this fall.

In response to ESPN's selecting Austin, bid organizers in Detroit posted a message to their Facebook page announcing that they now plan to "create our own 'X Games.'"

"It doesn't matter" that Austin was picked," the message read, "because we are not walking away, and we don't believe the movement of people who have gotten behind the cause are either."

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Cool!
LA traffic will get better and the Games move to a lower tax state, it's a win-win for the X Games.
The only thing that will change is the TV coverage cost, as filming will move from the Hollywood studio remotes, to mobile remote units, not that big of a deal.
Permits, filming fees, food lodging, everything else will be less expensive in Texas and COTA is a great venue.

·
10,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Some Tweets from Jessi Lang she posted from VINE!

@ImJessiLang

Jessi Lang@ImJessiLang2h
Practicing race starts #TravisPastrana #Dodge #XGames https://[/size]vine.co/v/hq1dxp5aYwV

Jeessi Lang@ImJessiLang
3h
Inside the #Dodge Dart #TravisPastrana will run at X Games! https://vine.co/v/hq1Ah77xad1

Jessi Lang@ImJessiLang3h
Spending the day with #TravisPastrana as he prepares for X Games RallyCross! pic.twitter.com/frKInsluTy

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Jessi Lang@ImJessiLang3h
Shooting a #JTurn with #TravisPastrana !!! @ motortrend https://vine.co/v/hq1WFrQjJtl

·
10,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hemi_magnum said:
Hmm.

So I guess that's the solution to the "GRC Dart engineering" thread: trade it in and get a VeeDub Polo. :lol:
Timur could be viewing the competition & doing recon for Travis & Bryce? There is no better way to improve your car than by driving what the competition has! Smart thinking! :lol:

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
moparbob said:
Timur could be viewing the competition & doing recon for Travis & Bryce? There is no better way to improve your car than by driving what the competition has! Smart thinking! :lol:
Which may be why VW sent him to Dodge first...:lol:

·
10,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Catch the race today on ESPN at 4 PM CDT - 5 PM EDT

You can also follow along on Twitter or here on Allpar.com.

To get everyone perked up for today's race, here is some images from the track.

Travis Pastrana@TravisPastrana20m

Good morning @XGames! Best @GlobalRallyX course yet. Ready 2 get in my @Dodge #dart & kick a$ with @BryceMenzies7

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

1. View photo

2. TeamDodge@TeamDodge22m
    travispastrana's photo http://instagram.com/p/cmTML0Ph23/

View photo

3. TeamDodge@TeamDodge30m
    It's Rally time #XGames travispastrana @menziesracing #dodge dart @ X Games http://instagram.com/p/cmTMTXOPQf/

jenhorsey@jenhorsey10m
travispastrana gets the prize for best question in the globalrallyx drivers' meeting: "Can we make the jump bigger"? http://instagram.com/p/cmVuAthcZe/

·
10,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Seeding Session Results:

Global Rallycross@GlobalRallyX3m

Group 1: Ken Block43 36.930, (2) Timur Timerzyanov, 37.709, (7) Travis Pastrana, 38.158 Dave Mirra, 38.817.

Group 2: Scott Speed 37.243, (3) Patrik Sandell 37.438 (5) Steve Arpin, 37.888 (8) David Sterckx 38.536

Group 3: Brian Deegan, 36.753 (1) Liam Doran 37.403, (4) Toomas Heikkinen, 37.449 (6) Bryce Menzies, 38.790 Bucky Lasek, (DNS)

Group 4: , Sverre Isachsen, Tanner Foust Rhys Millen, Anton Marklund Stephan Verdier, (No times were available)

Gary Johnson@SRTRacingGary3m
@TeamSRT Getting ready for the first practice at the LA X-games with Bryce Menzies and Travis Pastrana.

·
10,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Global Rallycross ‏@GlobalRallyX 20m

Heat 1: (1) Deegan 36.753; (8) Isachsen 37.820; (9) Arpin 37.888; (16) Mirra 38.817.

Heat 2: (4) Doran 37.403; (5) Sandell 37.438; (12) Millen 38.249; (13) Marklund 38.450.

Heat 3: (3) Speed 37.243; (6) Heikkinen 37.449; (11) Pastrana 38.158; (14) Sterckx 38.536; (17) Verdier 39.944.

Heat 4: (2) Block 36.930; (7) Timerzyanov 37.709; (10) Foust 38.131; (15) Menzies 38.790; (18) Lasek (no time)

Race Heat Results

Heat 1

The 1st race was red flagged & Steve Arpin was knoced out of the race.

(8) Sverre Isachsen

(1) Brian Deegan

(16) Dave Mirra

(9) Steve Arpin

Heat 2

Anton Marklund DNF's in this heat

(4) Liam Doran

(5) Patrik Sandell

(12) Rhys Millen

(13) Anton Marklund

Heat 3

(6) Toomas Heikkinen

(11) Travis Pastrana

(3) Scott Speed

(14) David Sterckx

(17) Stephan Verdier

Heat 4

(2) Ken Block

(10) Tanner Foust

(15) Bryce Menzies

(7) Timur Timerzyanov

(18) Buddy Lasek

LCQ

(16) Dave Mirra

(9) Steve Arpin

(12) Rhys Millen

(13) Anton Marklund

(3) Scott Speed

(14) David Sterckx

(17) Stephan Verdier

(15) Bryce Menzies

(7) Timur Timerzyanov

(18) Buddy Lasek

Bryce is eliminated from the finals again.

Finals

(8) Sverre Isachsen

(1) Brian Deegan

(4) Liam Doran

(5) Patrik Sandell

(6) Toomas Heikkinen

(11) Travis Pastrana

(2) Ken Block

(10) Tanner Foust

(12) Rhys Millen

(3) Scott Speed

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Seems like one of their better tracks but still have to much contact\

And yet again x-games switches half way through, they switched it back (maybe)

1 - 20 of 56 Posts