Allpar Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So GM is having a tough time hiring hourly employees so the UAW has suggested let's not drug test and we can find those workers!
Brilliant!!!

·
Registered
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2,703 Posts
The job isn't worth the $16.67/hr that they're paying. Of course they're not going to find anyone.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The job isn't worth the $16.67/hr that they're paying. Of course they're not going to find anyone.
Where else would you get that rate for new workers? And how about the annual raises and benefits too. I work for Lockheed Martin, which was a UTC co. The pay was reduced for any new workers when the new contract started. The pay is half of the older workers. Try and get that pay anywhere else.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Some people don't look past "now". There's plenty of places that are paying $15-$17/hr right now, with full benefits too. An entry level autoworker gets $16.67/hr and nothing more than health insurance. The cuts have been too drastic, and the word is out on how bad one is treated until he becomes full time.

I started at the lower pay/benefits scale. It wasn't worth it then, it isn't worth it now, but I hung around anyway. That's just me though.

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
37,513 Posts
$16.67 is cheep for a job that is hard, demanding, and has health risks, if there is any alternative job, e.g. McDonald's at $15.... which is also hard, but probably safer in the long run. That said, if you get in with the automaker, in just ten or twenty years, you might become a real full employee! Or not. And if this is for third shift, quick, how many of you would volunteer to work third shift for an extra buck an hour over McDonald's day shift?

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All well and good and if you have a Mickey D's paying that wage I will bet you it's not for full time employees.
If that's a career path for people,rejoice.
Please be aware technology will begin to replace the lowly fast food workers as well. WalMart is slowly but surely eliminating cashier jobs to be replaced by non humans.
So,what we are seeing is the need for humans doing full, repetitive work will be a thing of the past.

·
Administrator
37,513 Posts
All well and good and if you have a Mickey D's paying that wage I will bet you it's not for full time employees.
If that's a career path for people,rejoice.
Please be aware technology will begin to replace the lowly fast food workers as well. WalMart is slowly but surely eliminating cashier jobs to be replaced by non humans.
So,what we are seeing is the need for humans doing full, repetitive work will be a thing of the past.
Anyone who trusts Detroit automakers with a 10-20 year career path from line worker, from the third shift, is awfully trusting. I mean, I like GM and all, as far as it goes, but what's the first shift to get cut? Right, third shift. What happens then? You've been working at crap wages in the middle of the night/early morning for months and have nothing to show for it. The career path for temporary employees is not great - it's certainly not guaranteed.

Admittedly, $16/hour will get you way above the poverty line, which is $12,880. Consider the take-home pay, though. After payroll taxes, you get what, 12/hour? so for every back-breaking 8 hour shift, $96. Maybe if GM provides free transportation so you don't need to pay for car insurance and maintenance, it would work out. But if you can get a job somewhere else that you can walk to, you're effectively being paid much more.

McDonald's does have a career path. It's not great, but it's probably no riskier than third shift temporary worker at GM.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Employers have been actively driving pay down since the 80s. While cost of living goes up every year.

One of the things that COVID has shown is that after subtracting expenses and taxes, the actual "take home" for a $15/hr job is around $5/hr. Or less.

My daughter became a stay at home mom three years ago for this very reason. Store Manager at American Eagle, taking home a little over $40/year. Figured she was clearing about two bucks an hour after job related expenses. So when her husband relocated to a better paying job, she "retired". Everyone is much happier. And can forgo a bunch of expenses now that shes not working.

With COVID generated layoffs/stay at home orders, I'm betting a lot of people have figured out the same.

Anecdote: $15 hour seems to be the starting rate for the local MickeyDees. Even with that rate, the local stores are closing at 9pm, because they cant find manager/staff to work on Saturday nights. Especially English speaking staff (I guess they can kiss that lucrative "hungry drunks after the bars close" business goodbye). LOL

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Dave, that is correct. I know PLENTY of people that worked part time for 10+ years before getting a shot at a full time position.

·
Administrator
37,513 Posts
Dave, that is correct. I know PLENTY of people that worked part time for 10+ years before getting a shot at a full time position.
Thanks for the confirmation. I give those people full credit for their work ethic and dedication, but I won't blame anyone who doesn't want to do it, either.

·
Banned
2,066 Posts
A lot of the unemployed may have to face quick reality and accept anything that they can get.

A lot of states are ending the federal covid funds that were being paid supplemental to their states unemployment $, and a lot of the eviction moratoriums will also be ending.

What some of those may not realize is that even though their rent may have been set aside during the period of their unemployment and they couldn't be kicked out of their home, when those moratoriums end, all of their back rent is still due to their landlord, it hasn't been forgiven, it's still due and payable upon demand.

So losing the extra federal $ and their home, some may find themselves in a whole 'nother world of hurt. ;)

And while some may think that the last 1-1/2 years of sitting at home, collecting $ at the benefit of the government, getting food handouts at the many benefits and drives that have been held, but it may now be time for some of them to face some harsh reality. o_O

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
A lot of the unemployed may have to face quick reality and accept anything that they can get.

A lot of states are ending the federal covid funds that were being paid supplemental to their states unemployment $, and a lot of the eviction moratoriums will also be ending.

What some of those may not realize is that even though their rent may have been set aside during the period of their unemployment and they couldn't be kicked out of their home, when those moratoriums end, all of their back rent is still due to their landlord, it hasn't been forgiven, it's still due and payable upon demand.

So losing the extra federal $ and their home, some may find themselves in a whole 'nother world of hurt. ;)

And while some may think that the last 1-1/2 years of sitting at home, collecting $ at the benefit of the government, getting food handouts at the many benefits and drives that have been held, but it may now be time for some of them to face some harsh reality. o_O
I won't feel sorry for any of them. I paid my bills throughout the pandemic and chip shortage layoffs.

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 3.6 Crew
6,414 Posts
Employers have been actively driving pay down since the 80s. While cost of living goes up every year.

One of the things that COVID has shown is that after subtracting expenses and taxes, the actual "take home" for a $15/hr job is around $5/hr. Or less.

My daughter became a stay at home mom three years ago for this very reason. Store Manager at American Eagle, taking home a little over $40/year. Figured she was clearing about two bucks an hour after job related expenses. So when her husband relocated to a better paying job, she "retired". Everyone is much happier. And can forgo a bunch of expenses now that shes not working.

With COVID generated layoffs/stay at home orders, I'm betting a lot of people have figured out the same.

Anecdote: $15 hour seems to be the starting rate for the local MickeyDees. Even with that rate, the local stores are closing at 9pm, because they cant find manager/staff to work on Saturday nights. Especially English speaking staff (I guess they can kiss that lucrative "hungry drunks after the bars close" business goodbye). LOL
For a mom with kids the take home net after daycare is probably about $5 and I have great respect for those that must live that life. For a person that has no child responsibilities, net is a lot higher than $5.

·
Jeepaholic
6,275 Posts
I wouldn't judge too harshly the people who have been out of work and collecting benefits, there can be a variety of reasons why one could be out of work including health effects from COVID (yes, those long term effects are real), and lack of childcare. Making wild generalizations about people isn't usually the best course of action, especially when you don't know their circumstances. And if they've worked in the past, they've paid into the system and deserve any benefits they are receiving. Good Lord, just stop already.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.