Allpar Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2,693 Posts
I wouldn't judge too harshly the people who have been out of work and collecting benefits, there can be a variety of reasons why one could be out of work including health effects from COVID (yes, those long term effects are real), and lack of childcare. Making wild generalizations about people isn't usually the best course of action, especially when you don't know their circumstances. And if they've worked in the past, they've paid into the system and deserve any benefits they are receiving. Good Lord, just stop already.
I know entirely too many people that aren't working just because they don't have to OR make more collecting unemployment. It's a real problem right now. Are there legitimate people out there? Sure. But most are just taking advantage of the system.

·
Jeepaholic
6,164 Posts
I know entirely too many people that aren't working just because they don't have to OR make more collecting unemployment. It's a real problem right now. Are there legitimate people out there? Sure. But most are just taking advantage of the system.
Do you have a link to the statistics to back up that "most" comment? If not, then it's just your anecdotal perception of what the numbers are, which as we all know is pretty meaningless.

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 3.6 Crew
6,373 Posts
From personal experience I have seen renters that did receive their stimulus checks and local rent support and not a penny went to the landlord. They did still keep the Chally.

·
Jeepaholic
6,164 Posts
I have no doubt there is abuse, considering human nature. And there ain't no such thing as a free lunch, and those who squander their benefits will find out the hard way when the assistance comes to an end. For that, you can't fix stupid. Yet, there are many Americans who have needed this lifeline to help them get through a very traumatic experience that has not only upended life here, but all around the world. Why do we feel the need to kick people when they're down?

I, for one, have never needed public assistance. But I will never blame or disparage anyone who has needed it (or continues to need it). I guess I'm just not an a-hole when it comes to being sympathetic to the plight of those less fortunate than me.

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 3.6 Crew
6,373 Posts
I believe we need to help those in need. However, politicians and those employed to run the program don't want people to work their way off and do that by not rewarding a person who gets a low paying job to get experience and a recommendation by taking away the increase so it is not worth working unless they qualify for a decent paying job.

·
Banned
2,066 Posts
From personal experience I have seen renters that did receive their stimulus checks and local rent support and not a penny went to the landlord. They did still keep the Chally.
And all of the food give always that were done at the height of the pandemic, some of those were driving pretty nice vehicles.

But what I found more astonishing was the amount of food that was being loaded into each vehicle.

Those doing the give always could do a lot more by spreading the food out to more people, by giving a little less to each car.

And I wonder just how many of those people went to multiple food sites each day, just to get the free food, just because they could.

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 3.6 Crew
6,373 Posts
And all of the food give always that were done at the height of the pandemic, some of those were driving pretty nice vehicles.

But what I found more astonishing was the amount of food that was being loaded into each vehicle.

Those doing the give always could do a lot more by spreading the food out to more people, by giving a little less to each car.

And I wonder just how many of those people went to multiple food sites each day, just to get the free food, just because they could.
Most of those sites utilize volunteer labor and have a schedule to get it all out. It is amazing what the American people will give when told that people are hungry. When I was a kid, food assistance consisted of oatmeal, butter, and cheese. They were doled out by the government from surplus crops/milk that the government purchased from farmers/dairies to prop up those areas of the economy. Few wanted more than the very ample amount given out. It must be noted that each of those items were of very good quality. Two other items were available but we're not at the top of the desired list. Powdered milk and powdered eggs. To this day, they are not on my table unless used in something like a cake.

·
Banned
2,066 Posts
Most of those sites utilize volunteer labor and have a schedule to get it all out. It is amazing what the American people will give when told that people are hungry. When I was a kid, food assistance consisted of oatmeal, butter, and cheese. They were doled out by the government from surplus crops/milk that the government purchased from farmers/dairies to prop up those areas of the economy. Few wanted more than the very ample amount given out. It must be noted that each of those items were of very good quality. Two other items were available but we're not at the top of the desired list. Powdered milk and powdered eggs. To this day, they are not on my table unless used in something like a cake.
And during the pandemic, there was so much food that rotted in the fields, that could have gone to help a lot of people in need, if only the farmers could have gotten their crops to someplace to be collected.

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 3.6 Crew
6,373 Posts
And during the pandemic, there was so much food that rotted in the fields, that could have gone to help a lot of people in need, if only the farmers could have gotten their crops to someplace to be collected.
If they had, truckers were in very short supply. Warehouses were closed or short handed. We had to purchase eggs/meat from restaurants that had supply coming in but no or few customers to use them for. Stores had none available.

·
Virginia Gentleman
15,243 Posts
I, for one, have never needed public assistance. But I will never blame or disparage anyone who has needed it (or continues to need it). I guess I'm just not an a-hole when it comes to being sympathetic to the plight of those less fortunate than me.
I have. Back when I was still in college and working part time, my wife and I were also raising two young children. Needless to say, working part time at a grocery store will not make one rich. We were barely getting by. Food stamps and WIC helped. Four months after graduating I landed a full time data processing job where I would work for the next 33+ years. Haven't needed government assistance since. Government assistance is meant to be temporary - not a permanent type of assistance. Virginia revised the welfare program where participants could only be on the program a max of five years. They would provide assistance in that time and participants were required to undergo job training and eventually become self supporting.

In regards to the Covid-19 assistance, the only program really needed (IMHO) was the first bill that provided PPP loans and supplemental unemployment benefits since most state governments had essentially shut their economies down. The only fault was I think an additional $600/week was much too high. $300 would have been just right. With many states lifting mandates and states of emergencies (effective 7/1/2021 Virginia's state of emergency is lifted), the economy is raring to go, but too many workers don't want to come back to work since they are receiving more in benefits than they would earn working. Last I heard/read was 9.3 million jobs out there. I don't blame them for not wanting to go back if they are receiving more than they would earn working - that is the fault of the government for allowing that situation to develop.

Be careful making assumptions. Back when I worked at a grocery store, I use to see people come in and buy a large amount of food using food stamps. Often had to help take their groceries to the car which at times was a two year old or less car. When I mentioned this to a co-worker, he said, "How do you know it's their car? It could be a friend's car or their parents." Point is, you just don't know.

Yes, there are always a few that will game the system. Our church keeps food kits available to hand out to those in need that come asking. The kits are handed out with no questions asked except to record their names (and address if available). The Pastor has a discretionary fund to use (it sometimes runs low) to help out with rent or utility bills. But again, information is recorded, and the funds sent directly to the bill collector - it does not go into the hands of the person requesting assistance.

Indeed. I recall a picture of a mound of potatoes to be destroyed since the farmer would not be able to sell it. His market was primarily food restaurants and they had pretty much been shut down or operations restricted. He had no one to take his crop. It was not a supply/distribution problem.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
A lot of the unemployed may have to face quick reality and accept anything that they can get.

A lot of states are ending the federal covid funds that were being paid supplemental to their states unemployment $, and a lot of the eviction moratoriums will also be ending.

What some of those may not realize is that even though their rent may have been set aside during the period of their unemployment and they couldn't be kicked out of their home, when those moratoriums end, all of their back rent is still due to their landlord, it hasn't been forgiven, it's still due and payable upon demand.

So losing the extra federal $ and their home, some may find themselves in a whole 'nother world of hurt. ;)

And while some may think that the last 1-1/2 years of sitting at home, collecting $ at the benefit of the government, getting food handouts at the many benefits and drives that have been held, but it may now be time for some of them to face some harsh reality. o_O
As of April there was 9.2 Million job openings in the USA!!!
You can find a job IF you want to and honestly those able to work should. The states ending the extra benefits are doing to right thing! We prosper as a country with low unemployment...we all suffer if unemployment is high.

·
Premium Member
2002 Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4x4 with Cummins.
4,283 Posts
It always amazed me how a free market economy that says supply and demand drive the price of things. The more demand the higher the price. Except labor, lots of demand, but the same old crappy wages, unless you are fortunate to be the ones not in that boat. You want people to come back to work? Raise the pay, put a crow bar in your billion dollar companies wallets, and pay the help a fair wage. I don't blame people one bit for staying out. Americans work hard for the little bit of money they make. I didn't have the luxury of staying home during the pandemic, I work for what was called an essential company. I don't make 15.00 an hour, but thankfully I do have a pension that I worked 33 years to get. And it wasn't in the auto industry. I don't have any complaints, but I'm not in each person's shoes and neither is anyone else. So it's not my business what others do.

·
Registered
14,836 Posts
It always amazed me how a free market economy that says supply and demand drive the price of things. The more demand the higher the price. Except labor, lots of demand, but the same old crappy wages, unless you are fortunate to be the ones not in that boat. You want people to come back to work? Raise the pay, put a crow bar in your billion dollar companies wallets, and pay the help a fair wage. I don't blame people one bit for staying out. Americans work hard for the little bit of money they make. I didn't have the luxury of staying home during the pandemic, I work for what was called an essential company. I don't make 15.00 an hour, but thankfully I do have a pension that I worked 33 years to get. And it wasn't in the auto industry. I don't have any complaints, but I'm not in each person's shoes and neither is anyone else. So it's not my business what others do.
Unfortunately, the labor market is not a free market. Government interference distorts the laws of supply and demand.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
The employer sits on all the ace´s except the one that is your choice of working there or not, starve or accept and work for low money..
- what a choice.
Without social security and unions wages would have been much lower.
Remember employers has their own "unions" and these are strong organisations.

Reactions: Tony K

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I have. Back when I was still in college and working part time, my wife and I were also raising two young children. Needless to say, working part time at a grocery store will not make one rich. We were barely getting by. Food stamps and WIC helped. Four months after graduating I landed a full time data processing job where I would work for the next 33+ years. Haven't needed government assistance since. Government assistance is meant to be temporary - not a permanent type of assistance. Virginia revised the welfare program where participants could only be on the program a max of five years. They would provide assistance in that time and participants were required to undergo job training and eventually become self supporting.

In regards to the Covid-19 assistance, the only program really needed (IMHO) was the first bill that provided PPP loans and supplemental unemployment benefits since most state governments had essentially shut their economies down. The only fault was I think an additional $600/week was much too high. $300 would have been just right. With many states lifting mandates and states of emergencies (effective 7/1/2021 Virginia's state of emergency is lifted), the economy is raring to go, but too many workers don't want to come back to work since they are receiving more in benefits than they would earn working. Last I heard/read was 9.3 million jobs out there. I don't blame them for not wanting to go back if they are receiving more than they would earn working - that is the fault of the government for allowing that situation to develop.

Be careful making assumptions. Back when I worked at a grocery store, I use to see people come in and buy a large amount of food using food stamps. Often had to help take their groceries to the car which at times was a two year old or less car. When I mentioned this to a co-worker, he said, "How do you know it's their car? It could be a friend's car or their parents." Point is, you just don't know.

Yes, there are always a few that will game the system. Our church keeps food kits available to hand out to those in need that come asking. The kits are handed out with no questions asked except to record their names (and address if available). The Pastor has a discretionary fund to use (it sometimes runs low) to help out with rent or utility bills. But again, information is recorded, and the funds sent directly to the bill collector - it does not go into the hands of the person requesting assistance.

Indeed. I recall a picture of a mound of potatoes to be destroyed since the farmer would not be able to sell it. His market was primarily food restaurants and they had pretty much been shut down or operations restricted. He had no one to take his crop. It was not a supply/distribution problem.
It's always a distribution problem. There are starving people somewhere who need the food. The world produces enough food. It is a distribution problem, which is often political.

·
Registered
185 Posts
$16.67 is cheep for a job that is hard, demanding, and has health risks, if there is any alternative job, e.g. McDonald's at $15.... which is also hard, but probably safer in the long run. That said, if you get in with the automaker, in just ten or twenty years, you might become a real full employee! Or not. And if this is for third shift, quick, how many of you would volunteer to work third shift for an extra buck an hour over McDonald's day shift?
Well said Dave.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.