Allpar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1986 LeBaron convertible, 2.2L T2 with A413. 1989 J convertible dash and console modified to fit.
1,282 Posts
These imbeciles wonder why new cars aren't selling. It's bad enough they are gouging customers with "high demand vehicle" pads and just plain absurd markups. I haven't had a GM vehicle since 2006 and darn sure wouldn't touch one now.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I took in a trade with OnStar. It had a busted up windshield. The replacement with the GPS wire loop in the glass was over $1000. It's free period had passed so it received a new $350 windshield. The new owner was happy not to pay for something they wouldn't subscribe to.

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
I wouldn’t want it but before anyone gets faint from lack of oxygen due to the height of their horse, maybe the normal take rate is high enough to make it a standard feature (with corresponding price increase, of course). It’s also a way to create a premium difference for the brands. I’d bet the lack of supply has greatly reduced the risk of losing buyers and will make it stick.

·
Jeepaholic
6,958 Posts
Well, since this is a MoPar site, and I only drive MoPars, this doesn’t bother me at all.
That‘s all fine and good, but you can bet Stellantis will hop on the subscription train if they think they can get extra $$ out of you as well.

As the article states, GM screwed up with the wording of this. Prices go up all the time and optional features become standard features. They could’ve worded this in a way that the package including onstar was now standard equipment across the board, and by the way, the price for these cars are going up this year too by $1500 (But now you’re getting onstar for free!!). Lol.

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
40,238 Posts
These imbeciles wonder why new cars aren't selling. It's bad enough they are gouging customers with "high demand vehicle" pads and just plain absurd markups. I haven't had a GM vehicle since 2006 and darn sure wouldn't touch one now.
Huh? New cars are selling as quickly as they hit the lot and sometimes sooner. I spoke to four dealers about four brands of cars adn all of them are being sold while in transit.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Well, this will probably continue - until it doesn't. As long as the market for both used and new cars stays insane, dealers will gouge for prices over MSRP, and manufacturers will continue to find ways to part money from your wallet. "Subscriptions" to continue using options that you already bought and paid for on your new car, like the heated seats crap BMW, Toyota, and others are trying to implement, as well as "mandatory options" coming on new cars.

Once the economy settles down, or goes into a recession, you will see a lot of this go away as people will hang onto cars for 10 or 15 years (like I usually do). Manufacturers who aren't selling vehicles will begin to back off this nonsense thought up by some yo-yo with a worthless master's degree in marketing. When I negotiate a price on a product based on its listed features, I expect those features to work for the life of the product. The only exception to this is knowing a subscription to something like Sirius/XM, where if I want to continue it beyond the initial trial period, I would have to pay up. On our '21 DD, I chose NOT to pay up for the monthly nonsense of being able to remote start my car via my cell phone, or the GPS tracking thing. I was not FORCED into having to mandatorily buying it. I do, however, fully expect my heated seats, remote start, and other features to continue to work for the rest of its service without having to pony up ransom money while the manufacturer holds them hostage for payment!

·
370,000 miles
1,494 Posts
Well, since this is a MoPar site, and I only drive MoPars, this doesn’t bother me at all.
I've owned 8 Dodges, 2 Chryslers, and 1 Ram, and would rather buy Dodge than any other brand, but I'm not interested in anything Mopar is putting out these days except the Pacifica Hybrid, which I already own. I'm not going to buy something I don't want just to be driving a Mopar. I want an EV for my next vehicle. I like sedans and minivans, and would LOVE to get a pickup truck with the top of the bedside at 48" or lower, rather than the 54+" of the 2019 Ram 1500 I last had. I don't like SUVs/CUVs (Substandard Utility Vehicles/Compromised Utility Vehicles), but the way all manufacturers are going it looks like a CUV is the only kind of "car" that I can reasonably hope for. If I squint, the Cadillac Lyriq looks more like a traditional station wagon than SUV so that's good. I think I could also learn to like the Chrysler Airflow if they'd actually build it.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
I've owned 8 Dodges, 2 Chryslers, and 1 Ram, and would rather buy Dodge than any other brand, but I'm not interested in anything Mopar is putting out these days except the Pacifica Hybrid, which I already own. I'm not going to buy something I don't want just to be driving a Mopar. I want an EV for my next vehicle. I like sedans and minivans, and would LOVE to get a pickup truck with the top of the bedside at 48" or lower, rather than the 54+" of the 2019 Ram 1500 I last had. I don't like SUVs/CUVs (Substandard Utility Vehicles/Compromised Utility Vehicles), but the way all manufacturers are going it looks like a CUV is the only kind of "car" that I can reasonably hope for. If I squint, the Cadillac Lyriq looks more like a traditional station wagon than SUV so that's good. I think I could also learn to like the Chrysler Airflow if they'd actually build it.
😬

·
Registered
15,863 Posts
Stellantis, the automaker created by merging Fiat Chrysler Automobiles and PSA Group, wants to generate almost $23 billion annually by 2030 through software-led products, customization, services, and subscriptions.

Reactions: valiant67

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
40,238 Posts
Stellantis, the automaker created by merging Fiat Chrysler Automobiles and PSA Group, wants to generate almost $23 billion annually by 2030 through software-led products, customization, services, and subscriptions.
Yup. I am hoping most of this is not stuff like BMW's nonsense, but real digital stuff, e.g. renting a wifi hot spot. I'd like satellite radio and wifi hot spots by the week, rather than by the month with an activation fee.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts