Allpar Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
40,250 Posts
As the article states, GM screwed up with the wording of this. Prices go up all the time and optional features become standard features. They could’ve worded this in a way that the package including onstar was now standard equipment across the board, and by the way, the price for these cars are going up this year too by $1500 (But now you’re getting onstar for free!!).

·
Super Moderator
40,840 Posts
So what if GM saw a very, very high subscription rate on those particular vehicles already?
In that case it could possibly be mutually beneficial:
1) GM gets their money up front.
2) Customer pays once, is probably able to add into financing if desired, and doesn't have a monthly expense to keep up.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Perhaps the prices of cars have increased so much that the OnStar was not chosen and they have so many prebuilt they need to move them. Or simply another price increase PERIOD because they can.
GM owns OnStar so there is no having to pay for licensing rights like XM,Google,Apple or Android. GM just wants to get more money out their prospective customers and make it mandatory that you pay the $1500 to get something they installed on the vehicle. It would've been easier just to bury the $1500 in a tech package and not said a word. I think this will actually deter people from buying GM cars and trucks IMHO.

·
Registered
346 Posts
So what if GM saw a very, very high subscription rate on those particular vehicles already?
In that case it could possibly be mutually beneficial:
1) GM gets their money up front.
2) Customer pays once, is probably able to add into financing if desired, and doesn't have a monthly expense to keep up.
It is a subscription service where the initial $1500 dollars covers 3 years then it $49.99 a month for the service. GM Said this is will enhance the customers owners experience. I don't see that happening but what do I know....If I was to purchase a GM product and they said Hey this is Mandatory for this package, I'd walk out of the dealership never to return.

·
Super Moderator
40,840 Posts
But all you people complaining aren’t buying this class of cars. Sorry. I suspect a large percentage of these purchasers are already paying for OnStar. These are their premium product lines.

·
Registered
15,871 Posts
This also simplifies manufacturing.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I would have paid extra not to have Satellite radio In my vehicle. And that’s outside of my core beliefs. Subscription based services are a scourge to society, a leech draining the wealth of the working class. It’s a lopsided deal, and people sign a contract that’s usually so difficult to end, most just give up trying. Problem is, it works. Really really well. And it will get worse

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
I would have paid extra not to have Satellite radio In my vehicle. And that’s outside of my core beliefs. Subscription based services are a scourge to society, a leech draining the wealth of the working class. It’s a lopsided deal, and people sign a contract that’s usually so difficult to end, most just give up trying. Problem is, it works. Really really well. And it will get worse
Have no issue with satellite as it does nothing if you do not subscribe to it and someone who does a lot of driving. I love not hunting for radio stations

21 - 29 of 29 Posts