Allpar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle

'It's unnerving': Chevy Bolt owners want buybacks after 141,000 vehicles recalled for fire risk
"Last month, GM expanded its second recall on Bolts to include all model years through 2022 – that means Smith's Bolt too, which he'd bought just 15 days earlier. The recall, which affects about 141,000 vehicles globally, is due to battery defects that could start a fire. There have been a dozen Bolts that have caught fire while parked, although GM has not confirmed that each of those fires was caused by defective batteries.

GM has apologized to its Bolt owners for the inconvenience, saying it and its battery maker, LG Chem, have "hundreds of people" working around the clock to find the cause of the problem and correct it to ensure defect-free products will be made going forward."

"Once a repair is made, GM will provide an eight-year/100,000 mile warranty on it. In the meantime, GM has assured Bolt owners that if they follow three steps, the cars should be safe:

• Keep the car charged to only 90%.
  • Avoid depleting the battery below a range of at least 70 miles.
  • Do not park the car in a garage or charge it overnight."
Yikes...so basically don't charge or drive the car until a repair is made. Not a good look, GM.

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
37,173 Posts
"In the meantime, GM has assured Bolt owners that if they follow three steps, the cars should be safe:

• Keep the car charged to only 90%.
  • Avoid depleting the battery below a range of at least 70 miles.
  • Do not park the car in a garage or charge it overnight."
Yikes...so basically don't charge or drive the car until a repair is made. Not a good look, GM.
I am not seeing "don't charge or drive the car until a repair is made" there. That said, not doing overnight charges is annoying, unless they mean not to charge it overnight in a garage, which I suspect is what them mean.

I'll take one of those Bolts and take advantage of owner fears...

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not seeing "don't charge or drive the car until a repair is made" there. That said, not doing overnight charges is annoying, unless they mean not to charge it overnight in a garage, which I suspect is what them mean.

I'll take one of those Bolts and take advantage of owner fears...
If you have to keep the car at 90% charge all the time might as well park it. What good is the car if it has to be charged near it's maximum all the time.?

·
Super Moderator
38,541 Posts
If you have to keep the car at 90% charge all the time might as well park it. What good is the car if it has to be charged near it's maximum all the time.?
That is not what it means. Not 90% all the time, but to a maximum of 90% and a minimum of 70 miles remaining.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is not what it means. Not 90% all the time, but to a maximum of 90% and a minimum of 70 miles remaining.
Regardless, it's still a pain. It's more than the consumer should have to do when purchasing a new car.
There should be enough quality control to not have your product spontaneously catch on fire randomly.

·
Plymouth Makes It
8,189 Posts
I really think automobile batteries need to have a fool proof monitoring system. I think the average low end car buyer will not pay attention to the instruments. Should have a nag system.

Reactions: AmbassadorSST

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Regardless, it's still a pain. It's more than the consumer should have to do when purchasing a new car.
There should be enough quality control to not have your product spontaneously catch on fire randomly.
Should also be enough QC for manufactures to not have frames rust, steering racks not welded correctly, or airbags being grenades. But here we are where poopies like that happens

·
Read Only
0 Posts
If that warranty is transferable and resale values drop a good bit I'll buy a low mileage used model. So long as the potential burning starts out real slow, not wompfh.

·
Registered
28 Posts
We are still early with modern electric cars. The demand for range with the smallest, lightest battery pack is pushing technology to near certain physical limits, cost limitations, engineering errors.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I don't think you read that correctly. Don't charge over 90% does mean keep keep at 90% at all times.

Another example of consumers being guinea pigs. How was something like this not tested and found by either GM or LG the battery manufacturer is ridiculous. However I get tired of saying it and nobody seems to think prematurely releasing or inadequately testing before commercialization as a major problem.

·
Super Moderator
38,541 Posts
I really think automobile batteries need to have a fool proof monitoring system. I think the average low end car buyer will not pay attention to the instruments. Should have a nag system.
They do have complex software.. Charging and discharge is carefully monitored by computer. That takes care of the problem in most case unless, as in this case, there is a physical problem with the battery.

i don't know the timeframe for new batteries, but they should update the software so the can only charge to 90% if there is along wait on new batteries.

·
Administrator
37,173 Posts
It's something you can actually set on the dashboard, and the chances of it catching fire are very, very small.

·
Administrator
37,173 Posts
I don't think you read that correctly. Don't charge over 90% does mean keep keep at 90% at all times.

Another example of consumers being guinea pigs. How was something like this not tested and found by either GM or LG the battery manufacturer is ridiculous. However I get tired of saying it and nobody seems to think prematurely releasing or inadequately testing before commercialization as a major problem.
They tested the Bolt quite well. They did not expect LG to change the way the batteries were made. This has happened to Chrysler now and then, too - remember those plastic trim pieces on the Cirrus? Tested every way they could, and then the parts delivered were not the ones that had been tested!

·
Registered
41 Posts
They tested the Bolt quite well. They did not expect LG to change the way the batteries were made. This has happened to Chrysler now and then, too - remember those plastic trim pieces on the Cirrus? Tested every way they could, and then the parts delivered were not the ones that had been tested!
I don't recall what happened between Chrysler and the supplier, sounds like this will get expensive for LG.

·
Administrator
37,173 Posts
I don't recall what happened between Chrysler and the supplier, sounds like this will get expensive for LG.
I don't know that I ever knew ;) Yes, GM is expecting LG to pay for all of it, since it's clearly LG's fault. LG can easily afford it. Like Hyundai, LG is an absolutely mind-bogglingly massive company.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's something you can actually set on the dashboard, and the chances of it catching fire are very, very small.
Most absent minded drivers are not going to do that.
I guess it only matters if you car goes up in flames in a blaze of glory and you, one of your family members get hurt or worse from it.

But who gets blamed for the defective product...Chevy(GM) not LG.
Quality control would have shown the ones delivered weren't the ones they tested.

·
Administrator
37,173 Posts
Most absent minded drivers are not going to do that.
I guess it only matters if you car goes up in flames in a blaze of glory and you, one of your family members get hurt or worse from it.
Gasoline powered cars never catch fire? Interesting. I recall lots of Chrysler turbos having fuel leaks. The advice here was to tighten the fuel line connections now and then. I guess we should have just demanded all those cars be crushed because otherwise people would indeed die.

As for "absent minded drivers," the notice went out to all owners. Dealers will have happy to change the setting if they can't. Takes maybe five minutes. You don't have to stand over the car watching until it hits 90%.

·
Super Moderator
38,541 Posts
Gasoline powered cars never catch fire? Interesting. I recall lots of Chrysler turbos having fuel leaks. The advice here was to tighten the fuel line connections now and then. I guess we should have just demanded all those cars be crushed because otherwise people would indeed die.

As for "absent minded drivers," the notice went out to all owners. Dealers will have happy to change the setting if they can't. Takes maybe five minutes. You don't have to stand over the car watching until it hits 90%.
And even in gasoline powered cars, many fires are still electrical in nature. Like the FCA minivan window switch recall or the Ford cruise control switch recalls.

Reactions: tlc

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Most drivers aren't going to do either one, charge a specific way or take it to the dealer to have certain settings installed. They will only be concerned about it when the car starts smoking and bursts into flames.
I'm glad GM cares enough to recall and fix the problem...but this gives GM a bad look. The optics look like they can't build a safe electric car. That's what a casual reader of this article will surmise. Optics are everything. 👁👁

·
Administrator
37,173 Posts
Most drivers aren't going to do either one, charge a specific way or take it to the dealer to have certain settings installed. They will only be concerned about it when the car starts smoking and bursts into flames.
I'm glad GM cares enough to recall and fix the problem...but this gives GM a bad look. The optics look like they can't build a safe electric car. That's what a casual reader of this article will surmise. Optics are everything. 👁👁
If I take your line of thought further, we shouldn't have gasoline powered cars because drivers will always smoke cigarettes when pumping fuel.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts