Allpar Forums banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Plymouth Makes It
8,195 Posts
They do have complex software.. Charging and discharge is carefully monitored by computer. That takes care of the problem in most case unless, as in this case, there is a physical problem with the battery.

i don't know the timeframe for new batteries, but they should update the software so the can only charge to 90% if there is along wait on new batteries.
Seems to me computers can't take in to account owner lack of attention. One would hope the systems provide enough live data to prevent a recall. Seems not so. To me customer lives are the largest issue.

Reactions: AmbassadorSST

·
Super Moderator
38,572 Posts
Seems to me computers can't take in to account owner lack of attention. One would hope the systems provide enough live data to prevent a recall. Seems not so. To me customer lives are the largest issue.
From an electric car to your mobile phone, battery charging is monitored by a computer.
If that's your reason for not buying an electric car, throw away your cell phone, any laptop computers, etc.

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
37,204 Posts
Can you even get a lighter in cars anymore?
Do you really need a car lighter to light a cigarette?

From an electric car to your mobile phone, battery charging is monitored by a computer.
If that's your reason for not buying an electric car, throw away your cell phone, any laptop computers, etc.
Good point. I recall computers bursting into flame on a regular basis, grounding some air flights. Why would you keep such a thing in your home when it's clearly unsafe?

Look, you (not you, valiant67) might hate the idea of electric cars. Fine. But try not to be unreasonable about it. To recap:

1) GM found some Bolts catching fire unexpectedly and investigated.
2) GM found LG supplying bad batteries. They did not catch this when the batteries arrived because their test conditions did not reveal anything wrong, and the problem cannot be seen without destroying the battery. Apparently they don't do this regularly. Also, the problem was not on all batteries, so if they opened one in ten of them, they might still not have seen it.
3) GM issued a recall and is trying to get a fix going. In the meantime they have reasonable suggestions to limit potential damage. Keep the car out of your garage - check. Makes sense. Chrysler has issued those notices, too, for gasoline cars. Don't charge over 90% - okay, dealer will presumably set that if the cars come in for service, and in the meantime owners can do it. Check. Don't charge the car inside, unattended - okay, that makes sense, too.

At some point we really do need to address the real electric car issue that won't go away: fires that can't be put out.

·
Jeepaholic
6,163 Posts
Weren’t Wranglers with the etorque catching fire in the beginning, while sitting in lots IIRC? (Batteries overheating?). It happens, and it sucks greatly for the customers, especially if their other property or home gets damaged. As long as the manufacturer and supplier take responsibility and fix the issue, that’s all you can ask for. And it appears they’re doing just that.

Reactions: tlc and Dave Z

·
Administrator
37,204 Posts
Weren’t Wranglers with the etorque catching fire in the beginning, while sitting in lots IIRC? (Batteries overheating?). It happens, and it sucks greatly for the customers, especially if their other property or home gets damaged. As long as the manufacturer and supplier take responsibility and fix the issue, that’s all you can ask for. And it appears they’re doing just that.
Someone claimed the TC by Maserati's opera windows acted as magnifying glasses but they only smoked a hole in the seats. I don't know if that's even true. We've seen a few "don't keep in the garage" pre-recall advisories for gasoline powered cars as well as hybrids.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Someone claimed the TC by Maserati's opera windows acted as magnifying glasses but they only smoked a hole in the seats. I don't know if that's even true. We've seen a few "don't keep in the garage" pre-recall advisories for gasoline powered cars as well as hybrids.

I had a 1996 Dodge Intreped 4-door with the 3.5 V-6 that was the subject of a safety recall for leaking fuel injector o-rings. Mine began leaking (and I could smell gas) before I received the notice. My dealer service department advised me to leave it parked outside, don’t drive it - and have it towed to the dealership for an an appointment for repair (which I did.....).

·
Administrator
37,204 Posts
Since when has buying cars in North America been about needs?
It's the conversation that never ends
The conversation that never ends
It goes round and round and round
and round and round and round
the subject may change till we get the bends
it's the conversation that never ends

·
Registered
41 Posts
It's the conversation that never ends
The conversation that never ends
It goes round and round and round
and round and round and round
the subject may change till we get the bends
it's the conversation that never ends
Somebody, started quoting me
Why? Not really sure
But we'll keep quoting back forever because the
Conversation never ends 🎶🎵

·
Administrator
37,204 Posts
Somebody, started quoting me
Why? Not really sure
But we'll keep quoting back forever because the
Conversation never ends 🎶🎵
I can't read music, what's the tune there?

21 - 34 of 34 Posts