Allpar Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
39,508 Posts
Electric vehicles will have much fewer parts than an ICE vehicle - and the labor hours to assemble them are also fewer.
Agreed. Battery costs are coming down fairly rapidly now that volume is higher, too. Finally, development costs should be much lower; I was talking with a retired product planner and he was trying to come up with all the people who won't be needed for engineering now. Think about all the time and money spent optimizing the combustion chamber, between valves, heads, fuel injection and distribution, air paths, spark behavior, and so on. All gone.

The reason electric cars started out so expensive is because people wouldn't buy them until they had insane acceleration times... now instead of coming up from below, they'll trickle down from above.

I don't believe I've ever advocated rebates for electric cars, by the way. Just sayin’ for the record.

·
Administrator
39,508 Posts
from what I read here, some seem to think the switch from ice to electric will happen overnight.
Yes, and they're wrong.

·
Administrator
39,508 Posts
I'm pretty sure no one here actually thinks this will happen overnight. Its just skepticism and asking questions which there is nothing wrong with that. All their EV initiative will mean nothing if PG&E can't or won't update the grid and replace their failing power lines. Some will say they will have to but that hasn't stopped them in the past from doing nothing to actually help the people they provide power for.
PG&E is pretty bad. Utility deregulation in itself doesn't seem to have been a good idea. It created a whole new class of problems without actually saving much money.

·
Administrator
39,508 Posts
Fleet managers will really push sales forward as the technology matures further down the model line. I expect my fleet Tradesman will be the first electric vehicle I’ll “own”.
Suspect you're right, and also suspect some places in California will get their own wind turbines (though they are $$$) or solar setups so they can charge vehicles, as long as the sun shines or the wind blows, regardless of the utility’s status.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts