Allpar Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Agreed. Battery costs are coming down fairly rapidly now that volume is higher, too. Finally, development costs should be much lower; I was talking with a retired product planner and he was trying to come up with all the people who won't be needed for engineering now. Think about all the time and money spent optimizing the combustion chamber, between valves, heads, fuel injection and distribution, air paths, spark behavior, and so on. All gone.

The reason electric cars started out so expensive is because people wouldn't buy them until they had insane acceleration times... now instead of coming up from below, they'll trickle down from above.

I don't believe I've ever advocated rebates for electric cars, by the way. Just sayin’ for the record.
Reminds me of how many credit hours I spent at a drafting table, honing my skills…

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Perhaps you are overlooking the cost of all that I listed, perhaps did not do the recommended maintenance as scheduled.
I do believe the batteries use a coolant system, and I’m sure there will be a maintenance schedule for the batteries and motors as well, but your points are valid. i Would wager a lot of the publicly vocal staunch detractors of electric vehicles are the ones who stand to loose their livelihoods.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
from what I read here, some seem to think the switch from ice to electric will happen overnight. the belief that the cost difference will immediately push low income out of the market. How many of those low income customers are buying new? Most people I know buy used. often on the tertiary market. And those that buy new, rarely really buy, but lease.
after the last ice vehicles are manufactured, there will be a decade or two of ice owners.
if given 30 years notice something is going to be obsolete, and you or the industry can’t figure out how to adapt, whose fault is that?
For those that worry their vehicles will no longer be supported, you can still buy new horse drawn carriages and have a wheelwright mend you wheels. as long as there is a market for a product, someone will be there to fulfill it

1 - 3 of 3 Posts