Allpar Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Premium Member
2002 Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4x4 with Cummins. 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Altitude
4,946 Posts
I didn't realize that the plant was that old. They must've opened that around the time Windsor engine closed, which made 360 engines. That explains why all 360s installed after 1980 came from Mexico.

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
39,058 Posts
I didn't realize that the plant was that old. They must've opened that around the time Windsor engine closed, which made 360 engines. That explains why all 360s installed after 1980 came from Mexico.
It's quite a large plant, and I think it was expanded 10-20 years ago for the Pentastars. The question is whether they will do all GME T6s there or open up another line at Dundee or Trenton. The scuttlebutt is Trenton is going to be slowly phased out but there's no evidence for that, and it wouldn't happen until 2024 at the earliest. Plenty of room in both places for making inline sixes, but heck, there was more than enough room to make the GME T4 and they didn't.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Plenty of room in both places for making inline sixes, but heck, there was more than enough room to make the GME T4 and they didn't.
There has been a scenario for years to ship married engine/transmissions to the assembly plants, instead of shipping them separately. Having both an engine plant and the transmission plants in Kokomo makes this a doable idea.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts

Posted right here by Stellantis. HO variant is being produced at Saltillo Engine Plant

"The 3.0-liter GMET6 HO launched on Nov. 22, 2021."
Launched on Nov. 22, 2021 yet we haven’t seen it.
Maybe that was the original schedule before the chips shortage wrecked havoc on the industry.
We’ll have to wait and see when it will get officially presented.

Reactions: Tony K

·
Premium Member
4,946 Posts
One would assume that they are building inventory for introduction in various models. Funny thing is, they launch stuff at a snails pace, some of the engines might well be nearing a year old before they are dropped under a hood.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts

Posted right here by Stellantis. HO variant is being produced at Saltillo Engine Plant

"The 3.0-liter GMET6 HO launched on Nov. 22, 2021."
Apparently it's not ready, because that verbiage is no longer on the page, nor any reference to the GME, and the update says December 2021 at the bottom.

They've also removed it from the "laundry list" of NA plant production lines.
Font Parallel Number Screenshot Document

Same page yesterday
Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Screenshot

• Wow
Reactions: World14 and David S

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
I know I'm supposed to feel happy about this announcement about the GME I6, but I don't.

To me, this feels like yet another case of the company "Zigging" while the rest of the industry is "Zagging".

On the same day as this announcement, a news story is now breaking where Hyundai has announced the dismissal of its entire engine development department, a move as part of its march toward a 100% EV future.

Hyundai Motor Dismisses Its Entire Engine Development Center on Way to Electrification - autoevolution

·
Premium Member
4,946 Posts
I know I'm supposed to feel happy about this announcement about the GME I6, but I don't.

To me, this feels like yet another case of the company "Zigging" while the rest of the industry is "Zagging".

On the same day as this announcement, a news story is now breaking where Hyundai has announced the dismissal of its entire engine development department, a move as part of its march toward a 100% EV future.

Hyundai Motor Dismisses Its Entire Engine Development Center on Way to Electrification - autoevolution
Yeah they look kinda dated when the competition is going full bore electric.

·
Banned
3,138 Posts
Well someone must watch either the Stellpower Facebook page or Allpar. That didn't take long to disappear. So now it's off again. People wonder why we have the attitudes that we do.
I am sure they are watching both. Don't think we don't serve as an unofficial Customer Advisory Board, although I would be happy if they brought the real CAB back like we had under Cerberus. That's where I met Norm and probably some of the others on here.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Sometimes a contrarian approach is what is needed. The US isn't ready for full-bore electric. Some regions may be, but not at the national level.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Big question is, what date was the pre-removal page? In the LLHC, I've highlighted what apparently is the last update date (which hasn't been changed on the current page, so there's some question if it was even right when the T6 was added). Is this truncated from 20180621 (June 21, 2018) or 18 June 2021? Or is it even a date?
Font Screenshot Number Parallel Rectangle

·
Banned
3,138 Posts
Sometimes a contrarian approach is what is needed. The US isn't ready for full-bore electric. Some regions may be, but not at the national level.
Absolutely right. This is a great opportunity for Chrysler and Dodge to take back the segments being abandoned. Kind of like the Charger/300 and minivan, king of a shrinking segment, but of course the market for affordable compact and midsize cars and SUVs is still much larger.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts

Easy for company who don’t sell real trucks and large SUVs.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
One would assume that they are building inventory for introduction in various models. Funny thing is, they launch stuff at a snails pace, some of the engines might well be nearing a year old before they are dropped under a hood.
Keep in mind, they might as well started production of the engine for testing purposes.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Allahu Akbar.

This is a thread hijack.

Any one heard where the United States battery plant will go?

Only interesting thing I have noted is that Kokomo has submitted a TIF financing district east of ITP and KEP (nice feeling to type that).

I think both Kokomo and Chrysler have been great for each other. However I wouldn't want another Chrysler plant in Kokomo. I think it wouldn't be wise for Kokomo to become a Flint/Anderson, Indiana type of one company dominant type of town. Especially a fickle/cyclical type of industry like autos.

If not Kokomo. Could Dundee production move to Trenton and convert/expand Dundee to a battery plant?

·
Premium Member
4,946 Posts
Absolutely right. This is a great opportunity for Chrysler and Dodge to take back the segments being abandoned. Kind of like the Charger/300 and minivan, king of a shrinking segment, but of course the market for affordable compact and midsize cars and SUVs is still much larger.
Again, that's short term thinking to a long term issue. Grabbing short term sales and pouring money into those will only put them even farther behind. They don't have the capital to massively spend on both ice and electric development.

·
Registered
2011 Challenger R/T Classic
1,079 Posts
Again, that's short term thinking to a long term issue. Grabbing short term sales and pouring money into those will only put them even farther behind. They don't have the capital to massively spend on both ice and electric development.
Ironically I see it as the opposite. This "the sky is falling!" mad rush toward EVs that we're seeing right now is a very short sighted approach. There is no way the average American is going to trade a SUV or pickup that can be filled in 5 minutes on any street corner in the country and then drive 500-1000 miles for a truck like the F-150 Lightning that will cost $100 to charge fully over the course of 6 to 15 hours so it can travel 300 miles. It's just not going to fly with people.

There needs to be MASSIVE advancement in battery tech and coverage of public charging stations as well as the national electric grid. And that's not something that happens in 5 or 10 years. So in the meantime, going to a new ICE platform makes perfect sense.

In addition to that, I admire Toyota's CEO for taking a stand against all the jobs that will be lost over this EV panic. This EV dash is going to send shockwaves through the economy eventually.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.