Allpar Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. It's amazing what someone who knows how to drive can accomplish in a rear wheel drive car, huh?

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
38,061 Posts
I didn't notice or know that, Mark. That explains a lot, huh? Suddenly, I'm NOT so impressed.
He said it was a GT, I may be misremembering but I had the idea they were all AWD. You're supposed to be impressed by the car, not the driver, in that video ;) FWIW, I was pretty impressed by the RWD and AWD LX cars when they first came out and DCX set up a fake snow area in the Meadowlands for testing. Like many, I suspect, my last RWD car had been made in the 1970s, so I am used to the idea that the natural reaction to a skid in RWD is making an impromptu U-turn ;)

·
Super Moderator
39,071 Posts
He said it was a GT, I may be misremembering but I had the idea they were all AWD. You're supposed to be impressed by the car, not the driver, in that video ;) FWIW, I was pretty impressed by the RWD and AWD LX cars when they first came out and DCX set up a fake snow area in the Meadowlands for testing. Like many, I suspect, my last RWD car had been made in the 1970s, so I am used to the idea that the natural reaction to a skid in RWD is making an impromptu U-turn ;)
For the first 2 or 3 years all the Challenger GTs were AWD. That changed though around 2020.

·
Registered
'19 Challenger 4WD
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What you see in the video is all 4 wheels driving as subsequently noted, along with Michelin Alpin LA2 snow tires and traction control braking the spinning wheels. The car did all the work, the driver simply backed off the throttle when slip occurred. The driveway has a 25% grade and the melting snow was turning to ice under the tires. In fresh deep snow here on Vancouver Island the car goes up that incline without any fuss.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yes, I remember when Mopar re-introduced the large RWD cars in 2005, and there was a lot of talk about it. My Dad was convinced that RWD was old, out of date, and no good in the snow. Meanwhile, my Grandpa had never owned a FWD car, but my Dad had a 2004 Intrepid at that time, and loved it. Grandpa bought one of the first 2005 300C AWDs that came out, and drove that for the rest of his life (passed in 2012). I bought my Mopar '10 Challenger new and the first new RWD car in my family for many years. Still have, and out of my personal 6 vehicles, it's the only one WITHOUT AWD. :) (NW Iowa, harsh winters here)

JS

·
Registered
158 Posts
Welcome aboard from NJ & thanks for the video. Maybe some day I will actually own one of the newer Challengers. The last time I looked, a 6 cylinder 2008 was still going for around $10,000.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Hey Brian, I figure that by 2030, I MIGHT be able to get an 08 with the V-6. MAYBE!! LOL

1 - 14 of 14 Posts