Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't find any recent news. Is this project dead? Tavares says no more investing in ICE but this engine was near roll out? Seemed to be a natural to use in Wagoneers? Stellantis will limp along with Hemis and Pentastar 6 for larger vehicles until electrification?

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Compass
410 Posts
The topic is hit or miss:
  • Some say the lines were already pumping them out, then they were stopped.
  • Others say the motors were "vaporware" (essentially, non-existent).
  • Some say that the motor is still going to happen, but the actual hard facts on if it's gone completely through testing or is production ready are unknown.
I wouldn't really trust much at this point.

·
Registered
13,668 Posts
Can't find any recent news. Is this project dead? Tavares says no more investing in ICE but this engine was near roll out? Seemed to be a natural to use in Wagoneers? Stellantis will limp along with Hemis and Pentastar 6 for larger vehicles until electrification?
The rumor is that we will see it late this year or next year on the all-new Grand Cherokee and Grand Cherokee L, the Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer.

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
36,159 Posts
The only person who said it was vaporware was not very credible. He was probably just upset they were not completely created in Italy.

I doubt we will see it on premium Jeeps. Too much noise and vibration. It was meant for Ram to replace the 5.7 Hemi, according to credible insiders. This goes way back to SM’s plan to drop everything by 2 cylinders—where a V6 had been used, go to a four; where a V8 had been used, go to a six.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
The only person who said it was vaporware was not very credible. He was probably just upset they were not completely created in Italy.

I doubt we will see it on premium Jeeps. Too much noise and vibration. It was meant for Ram to replace the 5.7 Hemi, according to credible insiders. This goes way back to SM’s plan to drop everything by 2 cylinders—where a V6 had been used, go to a four; where a V8 had been used, go to a six.
By definition it is vaporware. "vaporware is a product, typically computer hardware or software, that is announced to the general public but is late or never actually manufactured nor officially cancelled. Use of the word has broadened to include products such as automobiles."

Vaporware - Wikipedia

·
Administrator
36,159 Posts
By definition it is vaporware. "vaporware is a product, typically computer hardware or software, that is announced to the general public but is late or never actually manufactured nor officially cancelled. Use of the word has broadened to include products such as automobiles."

Vaporware - Wikipedia
Late shouldn't count as vaporware. Then everything FCA every made would be vaporware. Vaporware is when it never comes out at all.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I can't believe that it will be truck specific like the Jeep 3.7/4.7 twins. I suspect the delay is down to FCA refining the thing to be suitable for use in all applications.

·
Registered
13,668 Posts
I can't believe that it will be truck specific like the Jeep 3.7/4.7 twins. I suspect the delay is down to FCA refining the thing to be suitable for use in all applications.
FCA has not demonstrated an ability to deliver a mass-market engine that is smooth and refined. Sure, high-end Alfas and Maseratis are fine, but the 1.3, 2.0 and 2.4 we have in North America are known for their noise, vibration and harshness.

Rumor was that the Inline 6 was delayed for this reason. It is not a truck engine. It was supposed to go into the next generation Charger/Challenger and offer turbocharged variants.

If they scaled it back to just truck applications, then it must be an awful motor.

·
Administrator
36,159 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,907 Posts
I've said this from the beginning, it wasn't needed. I seriously doubt given the move to electrics and the stated intent that all ice projects are dead. This engine was a dream of a BMW fighter IMHO and it must've not passed the very high standard to compete with them. More wasted resources.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
We don't know anything about it, so rather than speculate, why not look up some legendary I6 engines like the Ford Barra, or the 1JZ and 2JZ, or even the AMC 4.0.

Reactions: World14

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Compass
410 Posts

If the GME 3L is an Auburn Hills job and they can't make one of the smoothest, and relatively simple, engine designs smooth, then no wonder why Europeans are handling the small cars.....
Over 100 years of engine building, a history with the Slant 6, Ford 300, Nissan's RB, Toyota's JZ, BMW's S/N/whatever the codes are.... all smooth running engines with little to no NVH concerns........
It's simple engine building. NVH for a modern I6 should NOT be this difficult.
Giving the benefit of the doubt, I seriously don't believe it's NVH related.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My understanding is that the original idea with the GME 6 was to better compete with Ford (and probably Toyota moving forward who is rumored to be moving to an all 6-cylinder lineup) on fuel economy in full size trucks.

The huge problem that FCA has is that they are throwing a massive amount of Carbon Credits to Tesla, because they have so many gas guzzlers. In fact, a large part of Tesla's revenue stream is making money from FCA and other legacy automakers.

I know that pickup trucks have a ton of configurations, but here are some random fuel economy numbers:

FORD:
When equipped with the available 2.7-liter EcoBoost with standard Auto Start-Stop, F-150 4x2 has best-in-class EPA-estimated gasoline fuel economy ratings of 19 mpg city, 26 mpg highway and 22 mpg combined (actual mileage will vary).

The engine produces 325 horsepower and 375 lb.-ft. of torque with a maximum payload rating of 2,250 pounds and maximum tow rating of 8,500 pounds – ideal for meeting mid-range capability requirements and the needs of more than 90 percent of light-duty truck customers.

RAM:
The V8 engine should give you 17 mpg in the city and 23 mpg on the highway.

·
Registered
276 Posts
It'll be in the new wrangler! -False
It'll be in the new Ram -False
It'll be in the new Gladiator -False
It'll be in the new Grand Cherokee -False
It'll be in the new Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer -False

What do you think?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I have my doubts its ever going to see the light of day. Although I do think its strange that we didn't get 5.7L V8 updates in lieu of the GME T6.

·
Super Moderator
37,830 Posts
If the GME 3L is an Auburn Hills job and they can't make one of the smoothest, and relatively simple, engine designs smooth, then no wonder why Europeans are handling the small cars.....
Over 100 years of engine building, a history with the Slant 6, Ford 300, Nissan's RB, Toyota's JZ, BMW's S/N/whatever the codes are.... all smooth running engines with little to no NVH concerns........
It's simple engine building. NVH for a modern I6 should NOT be this difficult.
Giving the benefit of the doubt, I seriously don't believe it's NVH related.
Just because one or more iterations of an inline 6 is "smooth" doesn't mean they all are, especially new designs. Emission rules have made a lot of old classic engine designs obsolete. Bore vs. stroke ratios may have had to adjust in new designs, compression ,valve timing, all that stuff. Designing an engine for turbo requirements is quite different than many old normally aspirated engines.

Reactions: Erik Latranyi

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Just because one or more iterations of an inline 6 is "smooth" doesn't mean they all are, especially new designs. Emission rules have made a lot of old classic engine designs obsolete. Bore vs. stroke ratios may have had to adjust in new designs, compression ,valve timing, all that stuff. Designing an engine for turbo requirements is quite different than many old normally aspirated engines.
Especially given it sounds like they were engineering it to be compact, which brings along its own compromises.

1 - 20 of 136 Posts