Allpar Forums banner

121 - 136 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I have to agree with David, 35000 isn't rural. 35000 is bigger than the 3rd largest city in my state. I live in a town of less than 100. Our only wired internet option has an average speed of 1 mbps when it works.
I live in a city of 8000, we are suburban. We have high speed cable, fiber should go in sometime this year.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Yup I live in a city of 15000, but 8hrs(without stops) drive to the nearest big city. Our internet services are horrible and there is no way we'll have charging station for many years, we are such a low minority. Last to get any kind of tech... Life in living above the 55th parallel ... food is expensive, fuel is too but buying cars and clothes is about same as everyone else. Had a propane truck once and it barely made it to a filling station on that 8hr drive. For future cars/trucks we of the north need something larger with hybrid so a I6 EV with lots cargo storage that can survive brutal winters.

My dog hates squirrels, after taking a dead one away from him it's just a pile of mush, same with muskrats. :ROFLMAO:🤪

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
36,198 Posts
Well, rural areas will still have gasoline powered cars and trucks for quite a long time... though all the companies are claiming they will stop production in 2030, I don't believe them; why should I? Ford claimed some time ago that by 2020, they'd have an average economy of 50 mpg. They're only short by around 25 mpg...

Squirrel content: Rural areas need Internet if the USPS undergoes the changes recommended by its current P-G, who wants to add a surcharge for rural areas while dramatically lengthening delivery times. Like electricity, it is becoming a “need.” I personally would rather see rural Internet accomplished via regulation but that is not going to happen. If the government is paying the bill for it, too, I see no reason for greedy cable companies to nab the profits. It ends up being like student loans; banks take the profits and the government takes the losses. That's just welfare for banks, subsidies for rural Internet are welfare for cable companies. Taxpayers saved billions when two presidents moved student loans from banks to “direct.”

It sometimes gets to me, though, this idea that we should not have [fill in the blank here] because maybe 10% of the country doesn't want or need it. There are always solutions. And personally I don't have any desire to be subsidizing corn, but I'm doing it...

·
Registered
279 Posts
Yup I live in a city of 15000, but 8hrs(without stops) drive to the nearest big city. Our internet services are horrible and there is no way we'll have charging station for many years, we are such a low minority. Last to get any kind of tech... Life in living above the 55th parallel ... food is expensive, fuel is too but buying cars and clothes is about same as everyone else. Had a propane truck once and it barely made it to a filling station on that 8hr drive. For future cars/trucks we of the north need something larger with hybrid so a I6 EV with lots cargo storage that can survive brutal winters.

My dog hates squirrels, after taking a dead one away from him it's just a pile of mush, same with muskrats. :ROFLMAO:🤪
You sound like a prime candidate for starlink internet, especially their beta testing

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
I think you are right.. that looks cool
I know some people that have it and so far they LOVE it. Their lowest download speed has been about 50Mbs. Reliable so far with the exception of a few short down times as they continue to add satellites.

Reactions: Shane Estabrooks

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I know some people that have it and so far they LOVE it. Their lowest download speed has been about 50Mbs. Reliable so far with the exception of a few short down times as they continue to add satellites.
Have to look into it due to how far north we are, in the past we had sat TV, the dish was pointing very south and not towards the sky very much so the service wasn't that good because of the signal loss through so much atmosphere.. but times have changed so I will look into it for sure.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Building out Internet, sadly, requires a Herculean effort from government, and the ISPs have proven themselves extremely untrustworthy when it comes to taking money and not building. My personal opinion is we should give up on them and form a federal agency to do the same work for less cost, and make sure it's really done, like the TVA. The ISPs demand a return on their up-front investment and then charge the customers massive fees for access to the networks they were paid to build.
Completely support a federal internet utility.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I live in a city of 8000, we are suburban. We have high speed cable, fiber should go in sometime this year.
Right, see its not just the size of the town in question—depending on distance from major urban areas 35000 might be a suburb, a rural, or even considered an urban size population. We are located about 70 miles from a cluster of 3 70000-ish cities. We are surrounded by agriculture and agriculture dominates our economy. We are a rural community.

that being said—I’d love an Mopar BEV, if they ever end up making one.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Right, see its not just the size of the town in question—depending on distance from major urban areas 35000 might be a suburb, a rural, or even considered an urban size population. We are located about 70 miles from a cluster of 3 70000-ish cities. We are surrounded by agriculture and agriculture dominates our economy. We are a rural community.

that being said—I’d love an Mopar BEV, if they ever end up making one.
If your town isn't more than 20 sq miles with a 35,000 population it isn't rural. It isn't whether you are next to another city or surrounded by rural areas, although that can surely impact internet availability and cell phone reception.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
If your town isn't more than 20 sq miles with a 35,000 population it isn't rural. It isn't whether you are next to another city or surrounded by rural areas, although that can surely impact internet availability and cell phone reception.
ok, thumbs up.

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
36,198 Posts
I will agree there is rural and there is rural. There are rural towns in NJ, but they are nothing like the rural towns in Wisconsin, which can have populations in the single digits - as long as there's at least one building with a Pabst Blue Ribbon sign. I often wondered how all those bars found customers, or whether there was some tax thing, or whether Pabst was just giving away signs to anyone with a farmhouse.

·
Registered
13,718 Posts
May I suggest that the internet discussion be moved to "Off-Topic" so this thread can remain focused on the Inline 6?

121 - 136 of 136 Posts