Allpar Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.

My name is Lemorris Harris.

I'm here because my 17 year old son was given a 1964 Valiant.

2 door, slant 6, 3 speed manual, extremely cool car.

We're really excited about it.

I have a radiator in route and a new fuel sending unit and we hope to try to start it.

I am going to have easily 1000 questions and I have spent some time scouring this forum so I know many of you can help.

I did an Allpar intro, but this is where we will be hanging out so I wanted to say hello and let you guys know what we're dealing with.

I have a 1958 VW that has been my daily driver for 11 years. I am not a mechanic though. I am silly enough to bite off more than I can chew and chew it till I win though. :)

After a bit, I'll start a thread and share more. I'm one of those lotsa pictures, videos and other fun stuff guys so...anyway

Thanks for having us.

very excited.

p.s.

By day I'm an automotive illustrator:

more on my site: http://www.lemorris.com

That's not why I'm here though.

·
Premium Member
20,080 Posts
Well heck, if you're an automotive illustrator you are halfway there. If you have passion for that, getting grease under the fingernails and being able to see your fingerprints for days on end is the next step, the third step is giving a blood sacrafice to the car Gods to let them know you really care. This latter one is supposed to be small, no broken bones, but the occasional (once every two decades at most) stitches may be part of this sacrafice.

Ask away with the questions as they come up, a good factory shop manual (FSM) which are pretty cheap online as remakes, is definitely something worth investing in, gives us both a reference to questions and answers, and don't let the special tools, that can always be worked around.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol

Looks like I'm in good shape. My VW has opened a wound or 2 in it's day. Fortunately It's dialed in pretty good now so I got some blood to give for this project. :)

Thanks

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Nice! No emissions either, so you won't have to visit those oh-so-fun ADEQ test sites with it.

Fortunately the Valiant isn't a whole lot more complicated than the VW.

My guess is that you'll want to rebuild the suspension and steering, or at least those parts that are worn. When I did my '78 Cordoba I had bad bushings, bad ball joints, bad tie rod ends, and needed a pitman arm. I also had to do rear bushings on the leaf spring eyes and shackles. By contrast, my '79 Cordoba only needed ball joints, the bushings and tie rod ends were still okay.

You should consider a disc brake upgrade for the front end. It'll be a lot safer for a young driver if it actually stops in a panic. With the drums that could be a concern. Unfortunately it'll mean a proportioning valve, and most likely master cylinder change in addition to the front brake parts. That can all be sourced from a junkyard later model A-body, just be careful to get one with the same smaller wheel bolt pattern. Yours is 5 on 4", later cars in the seventies sometime went to 5 on 4.5", same as the mid-size RWD cars.

The engine has solid lifters with adjustable rockers, so it'd be good to adjust the lash. Also, use an oil with ZDDP or get an additive, as you could prematurely wear the cam with modern oils. Or run Shell Rotella T or another diesel-spec oil.

I assume this car has a points distributor. If that proves a problem, later slant six engines used an electronic ignition system that is very simple and in factory configuration gives much more dwell than the points ever did. My dad swapped from points to electronic on his '72 Barracuda and hasn't ever had a problem with it since.

When I started with the Cordoba a decade ago I didn't know anything about cars. I didn't even know how fuel/air got put into the cylinder and I didn't realize that the simple action of the piston being pulled down by the crank would draw fuel/air in. I'm no mechanic either, but I'm not afraid to try most of the time, and I succeed more than I fail. This site has been very supportive of me over the years, despite my trials and tribulations when I too bite off more than I can chew.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys.

I am very interested in a disc brake kit. I put a set on my vw for that reason.

I'm working on our concept rendering so we can do a big print for the boys wall and have a god time making it happen.

-lemorris

·
Administrator
35,285 Posts
I fully agree and then some with the brake upgrades. If you're driving it regularly you will need the front discs, and what's more, you'll need to adjust the brake proportioning.

LOTS of stuff over at http://www.valiant.org/ but we would REALLY appreciate your contributions too.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The little A body cars pre 67 were very light. The teacup master cylinder works well and you won't have a problem until there is a problem. The biggest problem isn't stopping the car. The brakes that are on the car will lock up easily if everything is set up right, There is the possibility of brake fade if they are used on hills, or long braking distance. The biggest problem is possible brake failure. The single master cylinder is responsible for all the braking system. If that leaks you loose all brakes. Any place the brakes leak will drain the whole system. With a dual cylinder you can have a leak but still retain some braking. Disc brakes are great but it also means changing the wheels. Most of the Chrysler disc brakes set ups are 4.5" bolt pattern. Your car has 13" wheels with 4" bolt pattern. The 4.5" bolt pattern means you will have to go to a larger rim (14") and that means both front and back. You will need to change the axles in the rear end or find 14" rims with 4" bolt pattern, or can put after market wheels on the car with universal lugs that will fit both 4" and 4.5" bolt patter/circle. Your son will have agreat time playing with the car. It looks like a cool little ride.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok

got my manual yesterday finally!

took forever to get here.

Now I'm looking for a stock fan.

I went to the local hotrod shop a few months ago and was assured the fan I bought for $90 would work and there's no way. The blades are pitched so far back they hit on themselves almost.

Anyone know a good source for a proper fan S6 170?

Thanks for all your help btw. It sucks bein a "know nothing at all"...I appreciate your help.

-lemorris

1 - 13 of 13 Posts