Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And I am absolutely thrilled with it! I love it!

Full album here (didn't want to embed all the images separately):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pjfsu331/sets/72157631304734794/

Quick rundown:
Limited in Blue Streak
Black premium cloth interior
1.4L Turbo with 6 speed manual
Power express sunroof
Technology group
Alpine 9-speaker stereo

I plan to write a more robust review after I log some miles and after my vacation this weekend, but here are some quick first impressions:

After having a little time to deep dive into the EVIC and Uconnect systems, I am insanely impressed. I was a little worried about the performance of both, especially with the digital speedo, but those concerns were wiped away immediately.

Even with just 50 miles on the engine, I was already getting 38-40 mpg on the highway at 73mph.

The fit and finish is really top notch. I had 3 people with me look everything nook and cranny over with a fine tooth comb and we couldn't find any manufacturing defects or blemishes or anything. The car preps did miss some of the protective plastic on the inside and left a razor blade (blade up) on the driver's seat. Luckily I noticed it before it did any damage to my seat or my leg.

I'm still getting used to the clutch and transmission in general. I think I would have liked to see 1st and 2nd gears a little closer in ratio. It's resulted in a couple of herky jerky shifts, but I'll adjust.

More to come!

I'll be happy to answer any questions or get you specific pictures of things you want to see.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
I'm still getting used to the clutch and transmission in general. I think I would have liked to see 1st and 2nd gears a little closer in ratio. It's resulted in a couple of herky jerky shifts, but I'll adjust.
Do you normally drive a manual transmission, or have you recently been driving only an automatic?

Have you experienced the "schizophrenic" engine behavior that some have reported - lack of power on launch, requiring heavy throttle, then the turbo causing it to leap forward when it kicks in?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you normally drive a manual transmission, or have you recently been driving only an automatic?
I had been driving a Jetta 1.8t with a manual transmission up until I sold it a month or so ago. It had a close ratio 6-speed. I could basically start off in 2nd with no throttle but cruised at almost 3000 rpms in 6th.

Have you experienced the "schizophrenic" engine behavior that some have reported - lack of power on launch, requiring heavy throttle, then the turbo causing it to leap forward when it kicks in?
I think bipolar is a better word. It's pretty anemic under 2500 rpms when the turbo reaches full spool. Then she really takes off. I've been keeping a pretty light foot on the gas while it breaks itself in, so I haven't taken it remotely close to redline yet. But you can certainly tell when it hits that magic mark.

I wonder if this is a Multiair configuration issue, forcing it to be more fuel efficient at lower RPMs and more powerful above 2500, or if its just begging me to put on a cold air intake once their available. Or both.

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
That color is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!! Congrats man, I am jealous.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm debating weather cold air intake is worth the money. I'm leaning towards no. Does a cold air intake even do anything once the turbo kicks in? Won't the boost just get limited by the PCM?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm debating weather cold air intake is worth the money. I'm leaning towards no. Does a cold air intake even do anything once the turbo kicks in? Won't the boost just get limited by the PCM?
I had a K&N cold air kit on my old Jetta and it didn't seem to necessarily provide a massive increase in PSI, rather it seemed to spool up faster and more freely, especially at cruising speeds. (I'm no expert though, maybe someone with more experience can chime in.)

Plus I got a deal on it. Mopar's kits for some other vehicles are close to $400.

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
I had a K&N cold air kit on my old Jetta and it didn't seem to necessarily provide a massive increase in PSI, rather it seemed to spool up faster and more freely, especially at cruising speeds. (I'm no expert though, maybe someone with more experience can chime in.)

Plus I got a deal on it. Mopar's kits for some other vehicles are close to $400.
Cold air intakes are kind of misleading on a turbo car, be better to call it a free flowing intake. Your not going to get hardly any if at all reduction in air charge temps on a turbo car vs a stock intake, thats what the intercooler is for. Free flowing intake will improve spool and efficiency, not sure you will get much in the way of power gains vs a well designed factory air intake.

·
Registered
8,747 Posts
Congrats!

Looks great!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cold air intakes are kind of misleading on a turbo car, be better to call it a free flowing intake.
I like that and agree. Has anyone said anything on the stock airboxes on the 1.4L? I haven't had a chance to really investigate myself.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sweet looking ride, congrats! I almost went with that color but that's the same color as my wife's avenger.
Just a day and a wakeup for me!

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Beautiful car, man! Color me green with envy. LOL

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did you have to get the race track tail lights from your dealer or were they installed by the factory.
They came factory installed and are standard on the Limited.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts