Allpar Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts
G

·
Cold air intakes are kind of misleading on a turbo car, be better to call it a free flowing intake. Your not going to get hardly any if at all reduction in air charge temps on a turbo car vs a stock intake, thats what the intercooler is for. Free flowing intake will improve spool and efficiency, not sure you will get much in the way of power gains vs a well designed factory air intake.
Maybe on newer cars but on my dad's Spirit R/T it makes a noticable difference, even though we didn't add it until after putting on a bigger intercooler. It was the $40 Spectre with the hole in the top. More surface area on the filter and smoother,thicker diameter piping bring more air,and that's where you get more pop from

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Maybe on newer cars but on my dad's Spirit R/T it makes a noticable difference, even though we didn't add it until after putting on a bigger intercooler. It was the $40 Spectre with the hole in the top. More surface area on the filter and smoother,thicker diameter piping bring more air,and that's where you get more pop from
more air.....Not colder air, plus like you said you added after the bigger intercooler. Combo of both makes a difference.

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
"Cold-air intake" is a misnomer and has been for some time.

I know some who felt if they put the filter down in the air stream under the car, the moving air would be cooler there. Except that you are also right above the hot pavement. And if you aren't moving, neither is the air. Same with "ram air".

One of the simplest tricks in the days of carburators was to take your air-cleaner filter lid off and flip it upside down - exposing more of the filter to air and letting more air in.

I can say this - I've run a cone filter on my Stratus for a long time now, and in my admittedly unscientific measurements, it has made little to no difference in anything.

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
37,780 Posts
"One of the simplest tricks in the days of carburators was to take your air-cleaner
[background=transparent]filter[/background]​
lid off and flip it upside down - exposing more of the filter to air and letting more air in."

Worked on Chevys. Mopars -- at least the ones I had -- were designed to avoid that.

That said... it only worked if your car was warm. It was awful when cold.

G

·
I can say this - I've run a cone filter on my Stratus for a long time now, and in my admittedly unscientific measurements, it has made little to no difference in anything.
Once again i agree with newer cars, but my Imperial definatly runs better with a cone and def a little colder. I unhooked the battery for 24 hours after installing it and immediantly driving it hard made a difference in the way it jumps off the line.

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
Part of that could be your TCM relearning your driving style - if I recall, that's part of a recommended "TCM retraining", too.

And I lied - it did make a different in one area - it's much louder now that all those baffles are gone.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I'm seriously considering a 1.4T equipped Dart myself. I'd need to do an extended test drive to see if I really like the transmission feel or not though, I did a brief test drive a couple months ago and it was ok, but I think I'm used to the grabby, stiff, tight feelings I've built all my previous manual cars to. The shifter movement and clutch uptake feel smooth, but kinda vague and rubbery.

If/when a short shifter is made I'll want to see how that feels. I would like to put a couple modest upgrades, intake/exhaust/tune and hope to get a bit over 200hp with the 1.4T Dart, while keeping the 40mpg freeway cruising capability. Probably a 2-year lease, long enough to tide me over for the 8-speed Hemi cars to start rolling out... =]

So now that you've had it a bit longer, what's your impression of the transmission feel, and power delivery, if any different from your first impressions?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I'm seriously considering a 1.4T equipped Dart myself. I'd need to do an extended test drive to see if I really like the transmission feel or not though, I did a brief test drive a couple months ago and it was ok, but I think I'm used to the grabby, stiff, tight feelings I've built all my previous manual cars to. The shifter movement and clutch uptake feel smooth, but kinda vague and rubbery.

If/when a short shifter is made I'll want to see how that feels. I would like to put a couple modest upgrades, intake/exhaust/tune and hope to get a bit over 200hp with the 1.4T Dart, while keeping the 40mpg freeway cruising capability. Probably a 2-year lease, long enough to tide me over for the 8-speed Hemi cars to start rolling out... =]

So now that you've had it a bit longer, what's your impression of the transmission feel, and power delivery, if any different from your first impressions?
I can't say that my impressions have changed that much, even after logging 1400+ miles in the car already. I knew going into the purchase that this car was not designed for 0-60 times, rather for gas mileage. Although getting close to 200hp would be nice. :)

Anyone who's driven a manual knows that there is a certain feel that comes with each vehicle and, inherently, you will need some time to adjust to a new vehicle. After that your takeoffs become a little smoother and shifts are executed better. I think it may have taken me a little longer to adjust to the Dart than I had expected.

I'll elaborate more in a full review I've been working on.

·
Registered
4,758 Posts

200hp is easy with the 1.4T.....

21 - 32 of 32 Posts