Allpar Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its a 98 Sebring. The v6, 2.5 ltr 1998 sebring convertible. What I did was take the steering wheeel off, the airbag off cause it was blown and the clockspring off cause it said I HAD TO REPLACE CLOCKSPRING if airbag deploys. So that was fine, I took all of the things off it said to. I got the clockspring, airbag, steeringwheel from another 98 sebring conv. That isnt my problem. The problem is when I took off the steering wheel, clockspring and airbag and all, I didnt mark nothing. So now I got the clockspring put back on and cant get the steering wheel on. I have the yellow in the glass, the arrow pointing up to it, but the steering wheel isnt going on right. Its like its upside down, or the clockspring isnt right or something isnt right. Ive been trying and trying for a while now and I finally had to give up for a minute and send you all a note hoping someone would know what Im talking about. Hate to bother ya'll with all this because I didnt make one mark oin the wheel and on the clockspring housing or wherever. But any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

·
Super Moderator
36,920 Posts
If the clockspring is seated, the wheel should go on. The reason for marking the clockspring is because if it isn't centered, it chan stretch and break when the wheel is turned to the extreme one way. The wheel should be keyed so it only goes on the column one way.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Youre right. And clockspring is seated perfect. Right where its supposed to be. The wheel does only go on one way. Perfect. So I know that much now. I feel better. But, the wires ared supposed to go in thast big opening of the steering wheel I think. And the clockspring has to be turned until the yellow mark is in the windowe. Also theres some arrow thats supposed to point to the yellow window. And all thats fine. But it seems that i cant make all that stuff work out together. I can either do one or two of those and not the other. See what I mean? Im prob not explaining it right. If I spin the clock spring around one way or the other(clockwise or counter clockwise) I can get the yellow mark in the window, I can get the arrow to piont there too if I keep spinning it. Or I can put the wheel on but the yellow wont be in the window when you put the wheel on the way that the wires have to go in the big opening. Ohhh. Its kind of frustrating, confusing! Thanks for help so far too!

·
Super Moderator
21,355 Posts
Were the wheels on the car that you removed the clockspring from pointing straight ahead? The clockspring must be centered whenever servicing it.

INSTALLATION
  1. Adjust the steering wheel so that the tires are in a straight ahead position.
  2. Ensure that the clockspring is centered by using the yellow indicator in the centering window. Refer to Clockspring Centering Procedure.
  3. Locate the clockspring on the lock housing and gently push into place. Connect the natural 3-way and the yellow 2-way connectors to the back side of the clockspring.
  4. Install the multi-function switch and tighten to 1.5 to 2.5 N·m (14 to 22 in. lbs.) torque.
  5. Install the steering column shrouds and tighten to 1.7 to 2.3 N·m (15 to 20 in. lbs.) torque.
  6. Carefully route the wires through the hole in the steering wheel armature. Install steering wheel and Tighten to 61 N·m (45 ft. lbs.) torque.
  7. Route the speed control wires under the horn mechanism and through the speed control switch pockets. Connect speed control wires to switches and install switches. Tighten bolts to 0.7 to 2.7 N·m (6 to 24 in. lbs.) torque.
  8. Connect the horn wire.
  9. Connect the yellow airbag lead to the airbag module and push secondary latch into place Clockspring Check that the wires do not get pinched during installation.
  10. Install the Driver Airbag Module bolts and tighten to 10 to 11 N·m (90 to 100 in. lbs.) torque. Tighten the left side first.
  11. Install the steering column cover shrouds.
  12. Do not connect battery negative remote cable. Refer to Diagnosis and Testing for Airbag System Test procedures.

CLOCKSPRING CENTERING PROCEDURE
If the rotating tape within the clockspring is not positioned properly with the steering wheel and the front wheels, the clockspring may fail during use. The clockspring is centered when yellow appears in the centering window and the arrow on the rotor points to the window. If clockspring is not centered, the following procedure MUST BE USED to center the clockspring:
  1. To center the clockspring, with steering wheel removed, depress the two plastic locking pins to disengage the mechanism. Rotate clockspring until yellow appears in the centering window.
  2. The arrow on the rotor will be pointing at the window if the clockspring is centered. Release locking pins to engage locking mechanism.
  3. For installation, refer to Clockspring Installation. Do not connect the battery negative remote cable. Refer to Diagnosis and Testing for Airbag System Test procedures.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you very much. It worked and the car is now driving down the road. With a steering wheel. Finally. Thanks IC. And thx to all of ya'll. Now if I could just figure out what that rolling pile of smoke coming from behind the motor up in the air like the whole bottom rear of the motor's on fire. It just keeps getting worse and worse. Car's running like a dream though. Makes me think I did something stupid or accidental and theres a rubber hose or a plastic piece of something down there. Anyway, thats another post. Thx for steering wheel help!

·
Super Moderator
21,355 Posts
With good quality oil and some miles accumulated, the internal engine oil burning issue might improve, but the external oil leak won't.
We don't want a heavy oil leak onto the catalytic converter or a possible engine fire may occur.
See if the rear engine oil leak is the power steering fluid, head gasket, valve cover or cam seal.
Some degreasing may be necessary.
If the head gasket is leaking oil, you may be able to reduce or stop the leak by retorquing the head bolts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts