Allpar Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If allpar's prediction is right, for the 2014MY the Grand caravan will get a 3.2 pentastar that replaces the 3.6. Does anyone else think that the GC rt may keep the 3.6 standard? Just want to hear opinions.

·
Super Moderator
36,907 Posts
If the 3.2 is cheaper (I doubt that) or offers better fuel economy I can see it being the standard engine in many vehicles (or at least trim levels of some vehicles) where the 3.6 is now included.
If Chrysler and Dodge both keep minivans (we've heard rumors that one then the other is changing) it would make sense for a Dodge version with the 3.2 as the base engine while Chrysler would keep the 3.6.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I dont think the DGC will go to the 3.2, they already have the bragging rights to best in class HP so why "down grade"? I Personally beleive the T&C will get the 3.2 since it's rumored to be a little smaller :)

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I dont think the DGC will go to the 3.2, they already have the bragging rights to best in class HP so why "down grade"? I Personally beleive the T&C will get the 3.2 since it's rumored to be a little smaller :)
Or the T&C gets a 4 cyl (maybe even turbo) with the 3.2 being an option. A la Journey.

·
Vaguely badass...
43,889 Posts
Note that Toyota recently dropped the 4-cylinder option from the Sienna.

If anything, offering a smaller Pentastar may make sense as far as an entry level/lower cost offering. For the longest time the Grand Caravan soldiered on with less than 200HP in ANY engine and that didn't seem to hurt sales all that much. In other words, I don't think it's a power issue - I think it's more a price/economy issue.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Just doesnt make much sense why they would suddenly down grade it, they've made HP and torque gains with each generation so why go backwards? I think we'll see the 3.2 in smaller vehicles, heck if anythings gonna get the 3.2 it'll probably be the Journey

·
Super Moderator
36,907 Posts
Why go "backwards"? Because a couple MPGs is a big deal in today's market. If the 3.2 beats the 3.6 in MPGs by a couple, I think the 3.2 will see use in many of the smaller vehicles (and the plainer vans can fit that category) where a 3.6 is standard now.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,667 Posts
Just doesnt make much sense why they would suddenly down grade it, they've made HP and torque gains with each generation so why go backwards? I think we'll see the 3.2 in smaller vehicles, heck if anythings gonna get the 3.2 it'll probably be the Journey
With the price of fuel averaging higher every year, the push will be for fuel mileage gains - not hp and torque (truck buyers are the exception here). Think of it as a small efficient package rather than a step "backwards".

·
Registered
292 Posts
It'll be interesting to see the next gen of minivans, but you guys do make a valid point, maybe 3.2 for the chrysler crossover and 3.6 for the dodge?

·
Super Moderator
36,907 Posts
I'd expect to see a lot of 3.2s. You have to remember there are coming regulations that mandate a better overall fuel economy average. I expect the 3.6 will no longer be the base V6 and be an "upsell" in many car lines.

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
Rumor has it either the GC or the T&C name will be disappearing.

·
Vaguely badass...
43,889 Posts
I wonder the reasoning behind throwing away names with 25 years of good history. You honestly can't do much better with a name for a minivan than "Caravan". With T&C morphing - allegedly - to a crossover, I could see a name change being in order. Shame they wasted Citadel on a Durango trim package.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts