Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do hope this does not hi-jack a previous post/thread, but i'm new to the forum and very frustrated with this problem.

I.ve got a second leak on the fuel distributor (metering unit) on my 2000 grand cherokee 3.1 diesel. managed to fix the main one from the top of the unit, after which a second was revealed from the bottom rear area. looks as though it neds to come out for access. can anybody help, please.

·
Super Moderator
21,364 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. Service manual here:
http://www.gianecri.it/WJ/2000%20WJ/ewj_14a.pdf
I wouldn't attempt any service on the fuel distributor itself and even then it may not be serviced except by 'replacement only'. It may be best to replace it with a remanufactured unit.
Read cautions before trying to service a high-pressure leak as it could cause personal injury (45,000 kPa). That can easily go under the skin and enter the bloodstream. Latex gloves may not save you.
Very carefully use a piece of light-colored cardboard to locate leaks. Diesel service is a specialized service with special tools required.
Injector lines and housing fasteners/washers may be serviced separately, but the high-pressure distributor (injector pump) is probably not. Sorry, I wish that I could be more helpful.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply...........any idea where a recon. unit can be got........I can't find one any where or any info........the world seems to ignore the cherokee 3.1 diesel!! unless, unlike mine they're bullit-proof.

·
Super Moderator
21,364 Posts
It is the Bosch VP36 series injection pump. The 3.1L is a VM diesel.
Look for a local diesel service company or get suggestions from a local diesel repair shop. Your best chance is a local diesel pump rebuilder or parts distributor. If they don't have the part in their stock, they may want to rebuild your old one.
You can save money if you can remove and re-install it yourself. Use the provided service manual instructions in my earlier post. If you don't feel confident R&Ring it yourself, let an experienced diesel shop do it.
Chrysler dealers may no offer this part and it isn't listed in the Mopar reman catalog.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all your input Imperial Crown.....how did you find the info ? All I got were dead ends. My previous reply shows that I hadn't realised what you had sent mewith the link. New glasses with an altered focal length are not lap-top friendly. Any way........ I've printed off the pdf.......looks full of good stuff, thanks again...much obliged.

·
Super Moderator
21,364 Posts
A pleasure. Best of luck with the project.
Pretty much everything I found was by searching on Google for '3.1L diesel fuel distributor'.
Google may even show a source for Bosch diesel fuel system parts and service in your area.

·
Registered
38 Posts
hey just seen this post. Just curious im assuming you are in Europe. England by any chance? If so or or not, Just outside of west London is a little diesel shop called Staines diesels in englefield green. Used them lots to rebuild old diesel pumps and the new high pressure pumps too, they are a full service centre too.
01784 437228
www.stainesdiesels.co.uk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts