Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Field of Dreams.........

It wasn't something that has happened overnight .

But I am here to tell you that over the last 4 years I have rarely spoken the words "Ford Explorer" Which for over a decade was our number 1 competitor. The Grand Cherokee LTD and Overland models have always attracted luxury car buyers. The word is out !!! Owners of 2011-2013 Grand Cherokees have shared their experiences with their friends and families. Quality and reliability perceptions are changing due to the power of "WOM"(word of mouth).Automotive publications are giving the Grand Cherokee the respect that it deserves. There are now many articles praising the Grand Cherokee . How did this happen?

It's easy..to quote the movie Field of Dreams "build it and they will come" That is the simple answer on how to change the perception of of our brands. Build the best possible vehicle they can. World class PRODUCT...... ....PRODUCT.......PRODUCT. We cant afford to build simply average vehicles anymore. They cant be just "good as" . More importantly......The reason for purchasing CANNOT be its a great deal!!!! or Awesome Value.... That works if you want to be the Walmart of the auto industry. The problem is the car companies that used to occupy the value segment are also building great cars. It breaks my heart to know that offerings from Hyundai and Kia are now competitors.

I believe current management gets it. The direction they have taken with the2014 Grand Cherokee, new Dart and soon to be released Cherokee is exactly what we need.I have no doubt in my mind whatsoever the the new Cherokee will be a huge success. Have there been fumbles regarding their launches? YES. I cant even imagine how difficult it is to bring entirely new product to market with all new engines and transmissions. As a matter of fact I cant recall in the last 20 years of my life when that was done. I was very vocal from day one that their approach with regards to"unlimited customization" was a mistake. They have recognized their mistake and are making changes....However the PRODUCT is exceptional. With the exception of my pet peeve of using the base steering wheels on any product, I think the Dart is a home run. The Caliber never ever won when a customer was actually cross shopping it against true competitors.

For those of you that somehow think my love for certain product like the 300,Charger,and Grand Cherokee are somehow motivated by my ability to make profit or a better commission because they are more expensive. I'd say you are DEAD WRONG and you obviously have no understanding how us "bad dishonest salespeople" make our living. Salespeople do not get paid on the price of the car. I could make 100 commission on a 50k Jeep just as easily as a 19k Dart. We make a better commission whenever we are not forced into simply giving away the product. The reason people fight so hard when negotiating their deal is because they don't believe
said product is worth the money. In your minds its not worth it....You feel like you can do better. Buyers that simply bought their car or Jeep because "it was a great deal" "I bought 3k under invoice" Are rarely extremely satisfied. They didn't buy because they LOVED the product and recognized the "Value" in their purchase. They bought because they were "giving them away" ......

.Now here is worst part of that kind of sale. Who do you think gives a higher customer satisfaction score to JDPowers or Consumer reports? The customer that purchased because they LOVED the product or the customer who simply liked it "it will do... but it wasn't my first choice" but I saved 3k customer ........ Those customers are the ones that are killing us. If you feel like you settled...every little thing that goes wrong is amplified and reinforces their dissatisfaction. "I knew I should have bought that Toyota for 2k more" Compared to the customer who bought because they LOVED it . They recognized the value in the product and now want to support their good decision.

Bottom line.......the perception of Chrysler Jeep and Dodge is changing, Our customer base is changing. We attracting new customers that in the past would have never considered our brands. From the BMW /Lexus customer to the Honda Civic customer. I cant wait till our 200 replacement is here because that will be yet another opportunity to COMPETE on our merits. With each new product we raise the perception of our brands. So I say cut Ralph and Sergio a little slack it takes time to turn around a company... I mean comeon guys we were only in bankruptcy and looking at the possibility of extinction just a few years back .

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Field of Dreams.........

It wasn't something that has happened overnight .

But I am here to tell you that over the last 4 years I have rarely spoken the words "Ford Explorer" Which for over a decade was our number 1 competitor. The Grand Cherokee LTD and Overland models have always attracted luxury car buyers. The word is out !!! Owners of 2011-2013 Grand Cherokees have shared their experiences with their friends and families. Quality and reliability perceptions are changing due to the power of "WOM"(word of mouth).Automotive publications are giving the Grand Cherokee the respect that it deserves. There are now many articles praising the Grand Cherokee . How did this happen?

It's easy..to quote the movie Field of Dreams "build it and they will come" That is the simple answer on how to change the perception of of our brands. Build the best possible vehicle they can. World class PRODUCT...... ....PRODUCT.......PRODUCT. We cant afford to build simply average vehicles anymore. They cant be just "good as" . More importantly......The reason for purchasing CANNOT be its a great deal!!!! or Awesome Value.... That works if you want to be the Walmart of the auto industry. The problem is the car companies that used to occupy the value segment are also building great cars. It breaks my heart to know that offerings from Hyundai and Kia are now competitors.

I believe current management gets it. The direction they have taken with the2014 Grand Cherokee, new Dart and soon to be released Cherokee is exactly what we need.I have no doubt in my mind whatsoever the the new Cherokee will be a huge success. Have there been fumbles regarding their launches? YES. I cant even imagine how difficult it is to bring entirely new product to market with all new engines and transmissions. As a matter of fact I cant recall in the last 20 years of my life when that was done. I was very vocal from day one that their approach with regards to"unlimited customization" was a mistake. They have recognized their mistake and are making changes....However the PRODUCT is exceptional. With the exception of my pet peeve of using the base steering wheels on any product, I think the Dart is a home run. The Caliber never ever won when a customer was actually cross shopping it against true competitors.

For those of you that somehow think my love for certain product like the 300,Charger,and Grand Cherokee are somehow motivated by my ability to make profit or a better commission because they are more expensive. I'd say you are DEAD WRONG and you obviously have no understanding how us "bad dishonest salespeople" make our living. Salespeople do not get paid on the price of the car. I could make 100 commission on a 50k Jeep just as easily as a 19k Dart. We make a better commission whenever we are not forced into simply giving away the product. The reason people fight so hard when negotiating their deal is because they don't believe
said product is worth the money. In your minds its not worth it....You feel like you can do better. Buyers that simply bought their car or Jeep because "it was a great deal" "I bought 3k under invoice" Are rarely extremely satisfied. They didn't buy because they LOVED the product and recognized the "Value" in their purchase. They bought because they were "giving them away" ......

.Now here is worst part of that kind of sale. Who do you think gives a higher customer satisfaction score to JDPowers or Consumer reports? The customer that purchased because they LOVED the product or the customer who simply liked it "it will do... but it wasn't my first choice" but I saved 3k customer ........ Those customers are the ones that are killing us. If you feel like you settled...every little thing that goes wrong is amplified and reinforces their dissatisfaction. "I knew I should have bought that Toyota for 2k more" Compared to the customer who bought because they LOVED it . They recognized the value in the product and now want to support their good decision.

Bottom line.......the perception of Chrysler Jeep and Dodge is changing, Our customer base is changing. We attracting new customers that in the past would have never considered our brands. From the BMW /Lexus customer to the Honda Civic customer. I cant wait till our 200 replacement is here because that will be yet another opportunity to COMPETE on our merits. With each new product we raise the perception of our brands. So I say cut Ralph and Sergio a little slack it takes time to turn around a company... I mean comeon guys we were only in bankruptcy and looking at the possibility of extinction just a few years back .

GREAT Cars and Jeeps

Good cars Great Deals.............there is a difference ;)

Attachments

·
Say no to kool-aid
3,922 Posts
The thing about the Avenger is - it seems to have risen in public perception. After having just done a comparo, it appears that on the used market, you could sooner find a V6 Chevy Impala, cheaper than a V6 avenger!! That said, it does slightly prove your point, the Avenger may not be great, but the resources they put into it made it a ton better. Before they had crap sales with huge incentives - now they have great sales with big incentives. And - I know people who genuinely like them.

Edmunds consumer reviews:
http://www.edmunds.com/dodge/avenger/2012/consumer-reviews.html?sub=sedan&ps=used

For the Malibu
http://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/malibu/2012/?sub=sedan&ps=used

Honda Accord:
http://www.edmunds.com/honda/accord/2012/?sub=sedan&ps=used

The Avenger's average is 4.5 stars, the others are just 4 stars! No mind you, this is not an accurate comparison between the quality of vehicles themselves. It's perhaps a better indication of customer satisfaction. I've looked on other sites and seen similar trends. The V6 Avenger becomes one heck of a vehicle in it's own right in particular. At it's cost you get a very impressive vehicle in performance. So I guess the point I am making is, I don't think the formula for the Avenger is all bad either. What I do know is I have friends who were avid Ford buyers, the husband's dad works for Ford. They now own a 2012 Chrysler T&C Limited and a 2012 Chrysler 200 Touring and they LOVE the vehicles.

·
Registered
497 Posts
CDJ, I would add the 2013 Ram 1500 to your list. I've had a new Ram every other year since 2000 (mostly Dakota prior to that). My trade was a 2012 Ram 1500 that had an unfortunate accident while getting a tire repaired (that's another story). The difference between the 2012 and the 2013 with nearly identical equipment is simply stunning. By the way, I love "The Knob" but still find myself hunting for the lever on occasion..... I liked the look of the console mounted shifter better, but the functionality of "The Knob" is smooth and simple.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
the product is better, that's why I purchase 3 new vehicles in the last 4 years....I've had 21 Dodge/Chrysler/Plymouth products...but only 3 new ones prior to this...
When they build some thing I like, I buy it...otherwise I buy something used for value....

·
Registered
113 Posts
Excellent well thought out post.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
b1c said:
CDJ, I would add the 2013 Ram 1500 to your list. I've had a new Ram every other year since 2000 (mostly Dakota prior to that). My trade was a 2012 Ram 1500 that had an unfortunate accident while getting a tire repaired (that's another story). The difference between the 2012 and the 2013 with nearly identical equipment is simply stunning. By the way, I love "The Knob" but still find myself hunting for the lever on occasion..... I liked the look of the console mounted shifter better, but the functionality of "The Knob" is smooth and simple.
Agreed.....The 2013 Ram is FANTASTIC...and again sells on its merits (not just price) I love it when someone tells me they have looked at competitors when I am showing the Ram. Also on that list is the Town and Country and Grand Caravan they are due for a full refresh....But they still stand toe to toe with Toyota and Honda.

I don't think people realize how difficult it is to sell products that you don't believe in. I actually HATED showing the last gen Sebring and Avenger. Personally I would have bought just about any other midsized car available before considering them. The current 200 and Avenger are a MILLION times better, the improvements that the new management brought to those vehicles in such a short amount of time is nothing short of miraculous but they are only a taste of whats to come.

I refuse to call them great because I KNOW we can and soon will do much better!!!!!

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Bad picture but that is a 100K Mercedes S 550 being traded on a 2014 SRT Grand Cherokee

7501il traded on a 2014 Grand Cherokee

·
Banned
3,474 Posts
Great post!

·
Registered
530 Posts
Fantastic post CJD... There are just so many great Mopars right now it is ridiculous.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
these were all traded just yesterday :thumbsup:

SouthPawXJ said:
Fantastic post CJD... There are just so many great Mopars right now it is ridiculous.
and its only getting better!!!!

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
bumonbox said:
The thing about the Avenger is - it seems to have risen in public perception. After having just done a comparo, it appears that on the used market, you could sooner find a V6 Chevy Impala, cheaper than a V6 avenger!! That said, it does slightly prove your point, the Avenger may not be great, but the resources they put into it made it a ton better. Before they had crap sales with huge incentives - now they have great sales with big incentives. And - I know people who genuinely like them.

Edmunds consumer reviews:
http://www.edmunds.com/dodge/avenger/2012/consumer-reviews.html?sub=sedan&ps=used

For the Malibu
http://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/malibu/2012/?sub=sedan&ps=used

Honda Accord:
http://www.edmunds.com/honda/accord/2012/?sub=sedan&ps=used

The Avenger's average is 4.5 stars, the others are just 4 stars! No mind you, this is not an accurate comparison between the quality of vehicles themselves. It's perhaps a better indication of customer satisfaction. I've looked on other sites and seen similar trends. The V6 Avenger becomes one heck of a vehicle in it's own right in particular. At it's cost you get a very impressive vehicle in performance. So I guess the point I am making is, I don't think the formula for the Avenger is all bad either. What I do know is I have friends who were avid Ford buyers, the husband's dad works for Ford. They now own a 2012 Chrysler T&C Limited and a 2012 Chrysler 200 Touring and they LOVE the vehicles.
You are spot on !
We have a new Avenger and it is fantastic. People see it and say "Wow......that's a Dodge !" They love the thing.

CJD: Great post.

·
Registered
8,747 Posts
Awesome thread!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Well I just purchased a new base Charger R/T W/ sunroof and spoiler for $24600. It is so much car for the money it's insane. So I got a great deal on a great car. How do they allow that? lol

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
That is an amazing deal! Congratulations! Enjoy this fantastic car! To think how much less others got for the same price...

·
Well-Known Jeeper
2,932 Posts
Talking about the types of trade-ins dealers are getting, made me think about some of what's on my local CJD dealer's used car lot right now. There's a Porsche, three Infinitis, a very nice Lexus RX not much different than the one posted above, and probably half a dozen different Cadillac models.

On the other side of the spectrum and unrelated to this thread but worth mentioning... they've been getting TONS of Neons in lately as Dart trade-ins. ;)

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tommy Boy said:
Well I just purchased a new base Charger R/T W/ sunroof and spoiler for $24600. It is so much car for the money it's insane. So I got a great deal on a great car. How do they allow that? lol
Thats an incrdeible deal..... congrats

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
With the Grand Cherokee selling well against more luxurious brands, I wonder if some at Auburn Hills are sorry they did not push for the Grand Wagoneer?

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Erik Latranyi said:
With the Grand Cherokee selling well against more luxurious brands, I wonder if some at Auburn Hills are sorry they did not push for the Grand Wagoneer?
Just the opposite, I think. Grand Cherokee is doing well in that segment without the expense of R&D for a Grand Wagoneer.
The Overland does just fine and the chassis isn't really up to par for a true three row luxury vehicle. It's too small, IMO.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts