Allpar Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a retired DoD meteorologist.

I drive a Jeep Patriot with FD-1 because:

I do some moderate off-roading in Colorado several times a year. The only places I would take a Wrangler that I wouldn't take a Patriot are about 700 miles from home and the Patriot rides and handles better than any Wrangler or Liberty I've been in for those 700 miles [each way]. The Patriot gets a whole lot better gas mileage and I remember gas prices doubling twice in a decade; in 1973 and 1979. From that experience I won't buy a car I can't afford to drive if gas prices double twice in the next decade.

The Patriot gets around OK in snow up to about ten inches deep. It does have the optional, larger, wheels and the higher road clearance (which I estimate costs me 1.6 mi/gal on the highway).

I have had vehicles with engines from 1.3 liters to 7.2 liters developing 40 to 350 hp, respectively. I have ridden a Simplex motorbike. I knew before I bought the Patriot how CVT works --- the one on the Simplex used rubber belts on variable pulleys. I might try a new 6-speed Patriot or 9-speed Cherokee in a year or two.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Welcome to Allpar, man. I have the 6-speed CVT in my new 200 and love it. 1st to 4th is pretty cool. From 4th to 5th to 6th, not so much.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Welcome to Allpar!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts