Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited's Website today for capacities and such: http://www.jeep.com/hostc/vsmc/vehicleSpecModels.do?modelYearCode=CUJ201307

I noticed that there are two different GVWR listed. This is the US site, and they do not list any sort of payload upgrade option for the JKU under the "Build your own". Is the greater payload rating somehow available in the US, or is this the J8's payload that is listed here (inappropriately, IMO)?

·
Registered
681 Posts
The 120lb difference between Sahara and Sport may be because the Sahara has heavier wheels and tires (plus more standard features) than the Sport, thus lowering the payload and raising the Gross Weight rating accordingly on otherwise nearly identical vehicles.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Yes, and Sahara has larger diameter wheels and tires, in addition to about 80 more lbs of sound proofing, and upholstery.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JTE said:
The 120lb difference between Sahara and Sport may be because the Sahara has heavier wheels and tires (plus more standard features) than the Sport, thus lowering the payload and raising the Gross Weight rating accordingly on otherwise nearly identical vehicles.
Thank you for responding. I apologize that I wasn't very clear in what I was asking. What I was asking about is the following:

Model...................................................................................Sport Sport S Sahara Rubicon
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) - Maximum......7942 lbs. 7942 lbs. 8090 lbs. 8184 lbs.
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) - Standard ........5418 lbs. 5418 lbs. 5567 lbs. 5500 lbs.

For each model, there is a significant GVWR rating difference between standard and maximum. I was wondering where that difference came from, and whether it was related to the J8 or some other vehicle we can't get here in the states.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
I'm still not clear on what the context is?
Are they showing different axle ratios? Auto vs. manual transmission?
Wrangler vs Wrangler Unlimited?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MoparNorm said:
I'm still not clear on what the context is?
Are they showing different axle ratios? Auto vs. manual transmission?
Wrangler vs Wrangler Unlimited?
Here's the context - I was curious about the payload for the Wrangler Unlimited. I went to the page I listed above, clicked on the dimensions and capacities tab, and notice the two different GVWRs in each model. There is no mention of different axle ratios for the models, or what allows for this higher GVWR. For example, the Sahara has a difference in standard GVWR to maximum GVWR of 2523 lb. How is that even possible? It can't just be gearing and transmission can it? I would think that would have more to do with brakes, frame, and suspension stiffness, wouldn't it? I don't understand why they would list that GVWR on their site if it's not available to us here in the States. I mean, it is the USA Jeep website.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Yeah, I don't know, unless they are experiencecing a glitch?
I'm pretty sure it's not J8 info by accident, J8 isn't an option in the US, for anyone but underground mining operations.
The gap does seem to be larger than can be explained by trans or gear ratio, unless they accidentally placed 2 door info under the Unlimited info?
Maybe a question for the Dealership section?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts