Allpar Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
. I went to Nashville with my son yesterday in my 99 GC and on the way home the top radiator hose blew and threw the fan belt. I called my oldest sister and she came and got us and took us to Autozone. The dumbass sold me a thermostat without a gasket and insisted that it was correct. I argued that mine didn't have an o-ring, that it had a gasket but she wouldn't listen. So I bought some tools, the thermostat, radiator hose and 2 gallons of anit-freeze and went back to the van. My sister had to get home, so off she went and we were on our own. I told my son that I was pretty sure that the thermostat housing was going to leak and it did. I made it the two miles to Autozone and got everything put back together except for the fan belt. No matter what I tried, I couldn't get that sucker on. I even used the tool from Autozone and finally just called the wife to come get us and left it there overnight. This morning, one of my brothers and I went back to see what we could do. He's pretty strong, so he "KNEW" he could get enough slack on the tensioner. to get the belt on. After about 15 minutes of screwing with it, I went back inside, got the loaner tool and jacked up the passenger side front wheel and took it off and removed the splash shield. From underneath I was able to get enough leverage on the tensioner for him to slide the belt on. Topped it off with anti-freeze and got her home. Ran codes and go a P1491. It's not in my Haynes manual or the manual that came with my Actron scanner. It just says it's a manufacturer specific code. Any of you guys know what this is? I think it's related to the cooling fan relay, so I'm going to swap some out. Shouldn't my cooling fans come on if I turn on the a/c? If so, they're not coming on at all. Maybe that's the problem.

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
P1491
Rad Fan Control Relay Circuit

Description of Diagnostic Code
An open or shorted condition detected in the low speed radiator fan relay circuit.

Try swapping the low speed fan relay with another. Also check the that there is no corrosion on the relay connections.

·
Registered
292 Posts
The serpentine belt on 3rd gens is NEVER fun. I would recommend when it's time for a new tensioner and puller to replace it with a double sided grooved belt and puller like this: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/GATV/38379K/06466.oap?year=2000&make=Dodge&model=Grand%2BCaravan&vi=1361876&ck=Search_serpentine+belt_06466_1361876_-1&keyword=serpentine+belt&pt=06466&ppt=C0331

That way if it happens again it wont leave you stranded :)

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Isn't this the electronic relay bolted to the front frame near the radiator? It is an expensive jewel but if it is bad, you have no choice to replace it.

The fans will come on when the AC is turned on, but not immediately. The high side has to reach a certain pressure before the fan on this vehicle will turn on.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I never have had a problem with the belt coming off before. The leak in the top hose was just in the right (wrong?) spot to spray antifreeze all over the belt. I just figured that since it was soaked enough to cause the belt to come off, that I needed to replace it. It was tough making that turn into the Autozone parking lot with no power steering! I'll check the relays in a little while after it warms up some. Kind of chilly here last night with lows in the upper 30's. Strat, do you know which on is the low speed relay? There are several in the box under the hood. I'm tempted to just pull every relay and get the electrical contact cleaner out and clean every port and then, one by one, plug and unplug each one a half dozen times or so to sweep the contacts clean. I'll try letting the van idle for a while to see if the fan kicks on or not. I'll also run the a/c. I'll post back later if I have no success. Heck, I'll post back if I do have success. I cleared the code with my Actron scanner, so I guess time will tell if it comes back or not.

·
Super Moderator
36,922 Posts
I think John is right, the fan relay isn't in the box on these vans. I don't have mine any more so I can't confirm it though.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I was going to direct wire both of the fans and see if they were working and managed to cut the crap out of the back of my left hand, so will put that off for a few days. I've looked through the Haynes manual I have and can't find any mention of a relay mounted anywhere on the frame or near the radiator, so will have to do more research. I checked all of the 40 amp fuses under the hood and they were all good, so no remedies there. And since it's a cool day today, even with the engine running and a/c on for 20 minutes, it never got past half way on the gauge, nor did either cooling fan kick on. I'm gonna go drink a couple of beer and watch a football game. It's just not worth the frustration I'm feeling at this point in time. I'm too old to be letting a vehicle push my buttons.

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
I think what I would do first is see if the code or CEL comes back, and keep an eye on the temp.

I can't recall the exact location of the relays on the 3G vans, sorry. Still looking. Although pulling and cleaning them all certainly isn't a bad idea either.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
The relay is an electronic box located on the driver's side of the frame next to the radiator. On my van, you can only get a view of it from below. I understand on later Gen III vans they moved the location slightly to help with heat disipation.

here is what a picture of one looks like:

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the picture, John. I'll start looking for it tomorrow. I'm going to pull it up on my ramps and try to spot it from that point of view. I think I'll just pull the connector and clean it if I manage to find it. And Strat, I appreciate you looking. I'm going to follow your advice and drive it and keep an eye on the temp gauge.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I got the van up on the ramps today and can't find anything that even looks remotely like what you posted, John. I even went as far at to remove the air box and look under there too. I did direct wire both fans and they run, so I think I'm just going to chalk this up to a radiator hose that was just worn out. It really looked bad on the inside, like it was starting to separate in a couple of spots. Kind of like blisters. I'm just going to drive it and keep a close eye on the temp gauge. I may replace the lower hose later this week just for a little peace of mind. I did clean the throttle body while I had the air box off. It wasn't too bad, but I figured I'd just take advantage while I had it out. The air filter looked great.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Well, I got the van up on the ramps today and can't find anything that even looks remotely like what you posted, John. I even went as far at to remove the air box and look under there too. I did direct wire both fans and they run, so I think I'm just going to chalk this up to a radiator hose that was just worn out. It really looked bad on the inside, like it was starting to separate in a couple of spots. Kind of like blisters. I'm just going to drive it and keep a close eye on the temp gauge. I may replace the lower hose later this week just for a little peace of mind. I did clean the throttle body while I had the air box off. It wasn't too bad, but I figured I'd just take advantage while I had it out. The air filter looked great.
I'd at least re-set the code and see if it comes back. Someday I need to raise my van up and take a picture of that relay. The location is not very obvious and it could be in a slightly different location on your 99.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I cleared the code with my scanner and as of today, it hasn't come back. I'm going to drive it a further distance tomorrow than today and see what happens, but I honestly think it was just an old hose reaching the end if its life, John. I was 85 miles from home when it popped and once I got it all back together and buttoned up, it ran just fine and the temp gauge never got over half way. I think I'll replace the radiator cap, though. Just as another precautionary measure. And maybe the lower hose. I have to get my book out and see if I replaced it or not a couple of years ago when I did the flush and fill. I can't remember. I think my over flow jug is cracked, but my brother is going to Pull-A-Part tomorrow and said he'd be happy to grab one for me. I'll be checking mine for leaks in the morning just in case I don't need it.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm pretty sure the GC is fixed. I did replace the radiator cap. Drove it over 100 miles yesterday and it never got past half way on the temp gauge and the overflow jug didn't leak at all. I suspect the antifreeze that had accumulated in the splash shield was from where the top hose sprang the leak and ran down. I'll be keeping an eye on it for the next few days, but am pretty confident that all is well now. Thanks for assistance, guys. I appreciate it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts