Allpar Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So apparently the axles to my car didn't come with the rest of my stuff when we moved in July. With the car almost roadworthy, I need some new ones, and I wanted to switch my Shelby Z to the equal length system. Question is, I need the half shaft (the one that comes out of the transmission on the passengers side) but the wrecker only has v6 models. Does the piece off of the v6 setup bolt on to my 88 2.2 turbo 2?

·
Administrator
29,620 Posts
I don't think it would fit properly. You will need the bracket which bolts to the block and the jack shaft along with the bearing at the outboard end. When mine finally fails I'll be replacing it with unequal length shafts.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bob ONeill said:
I don't think it would fit properly. You will need the bracket which bolts to the block and the jack shaft along with the bearing at the outboard end. When mine finally fails I'll be replacing it with unequal length shafts.
Is there no significant advantage to the equal length shafts? I want the option to do a high-power build later on.

·
Part Connoisseur
2,431 Posts
Stick with the unequal length. The equal length shafts provide less torque steer, however, the unequal length shaft has less "failure" points.

There has been a more recent movement, especially on turbo-mopar.com of people recommending the unequal length shafts over the equal length shafts. Plus finding the unequal length shafts are easier and cheaper.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
The intermediate shafts are fairly easy to find used and the bracket, it's the bearing that can't be had anymore. FWD does sell a replacement bearing with a solid aluminum mount for under $100, its made by one of the board members and sold through FWD. Sometimes you can find used axle assys with a good bearing, but most of the time the bearing is shot. They were designed as a sealed unit and can't be serviced in a practical way, so after 20+ years of running and never having fresh grease they tend to be beat up in some way or another.

IMO, anyone talking up the superiority of unequal length is doing so because there was no way to replace that bearing (until recently), so they're blowing smoke up their own butt to make themselves feel better about the lack of an alternative.

·
Part Connoisseur
2,431 Posts
ChargedDust said:
The intermediate shafts are fairly easy to find used and the bracket, it's the bearing that can't be had anymore. FWD does sell a replacement bearing with a solid aluminum mount for under $100, its made by one of the board members and sold through FWD. Sometimes you can find used axle assys with a good bearing, but most of the time the bearing is shot. They were designed as a sealed unit and can't be serviced in a practical way, so after 20+ years of running and never having fresh grease they tend to be beat up in some way or another.

IMO, anyone talking up the superiority of unequal length is doing so because there was no way to replace that bearing (until recently), so they're blowing smoke up their own butt to make themselves feel better about the lack of an alternative.
Thats the thing, since torque steer is the main issue with the unequal shafts, the only reason it is really superior to the equal length is because of the lack of availibility of the bearing.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From the sound of it, I should be going with unequal length for now, just to get the car on the road. I'll wait for an equal length setup to pop up.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
If you want to use equal length, don't waste your money on buying an unequal axle, I can sell you a shaft and a bracket, but you'll have to get the bearing from FWD.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I went from the equal length set up to the unequal length in my 88 Daytona Shelby. The intermediate shaft couldn't be separated. Can't say I really noticed much difference. I run an LSD too, which is suppose to increase torque steer. Oops, didn't notice the date of the post. My bad pulling up an old thread.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ssheen said:
I went from the equal length set up to the unequal length in my 88 Daytona Shelby. The intermediate shaft couldn't be separated. Can't say I really noticed much difference. I run an LSD too, which is suppose to increase torque steer. Oops, didn't notice the date of the post. My bad pulling up an old thread.
That's OK with me, this car is on the road now but still a work in progress. Torque steer on it is absolutely terrible right now, but I still need to do some front end work. Equal length shafts are still under consideration. I will likely raise the boost and get a ported head/exhaust once the rest of the car is in shape, so I'm working on it with that in mind.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Not to drift the thread, but I may have a ported head and exhaust mani sitting around here, PM if you are curious. Still out in the Lower Mainland?

blake_mcguire said:
That's OK with me, this car is on the road now but still a work in progress. Torque steer on it is absolutely terrible right now, but I still need to do some front end work. Equal length shafts are still under consideration. I will likely raise the boost and get a ported head/exhaust once the rest of the car is in shape, so I'm working on it with that in mind.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts