Allpar Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1986 LeBaron convertible, 2.2L T2 with A413. 1989 J convertible dash and console modified to fit.
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, is there a definitive way to test these other than by substitution? Second, assuming one or both of the pair in a turbo distributor are bad recommendations on a good source (I don't really expect FCA to have these for over 25 year old cars) in the past I could just pick one up at the dealership.

·
Super Moderator
33,363 Posts
If you can determine which wire is which, there should be an 8V, a ground and a signal wire. When powered, the signal wire should change from low to high state and back when you pass a steel item in close proximity to the sensor(s).

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
23,643 Posts

·
Registered
1986 LeBaron convertible, 2.2L T2 with A413. 1989 J convertible dash and console modified to fit.
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OR is the 8V supply, BK/LB is ground GY/BK is Ref pickup (crank sensor) and TN/YL is Sync pickup (cam sensor). I didn't know if there was a way to look at the wave forms on the signal wires.

IC, they are damn proud of something that has probably been on some shelf for close to 20 years.

Reactions: ImperialCrown

·
Registered
9,246 Posts
As for replacements, it's kind of a crap shoot. When I worked for Autozne, I saw a LOT of them come back as defective. I just took the customers word for it because I'd had the same problem with a couple of 2.2 and 2.5's I'd put the GP Sorensen parts into. Car would run with the old one, and not run at all with the GP's. When the zone switched to Wells ignition parts, the returns weren't as frequent and the one Wells I used in a 2.5 worked just fine. Over the years, I've stopped purchasing ANY electrical parts from Autozone. I don't trust the "quality control" of their vendors. NAPA would be my first choice nowadays if I had a 2.2 or 2.5 that needed one.

·
Super Moderator
33,363 Posts
OR is the 8V supply, BK/LB is ground GY/BK is Ref pickup (crank sensor) and TN/YL is Sync pickup (cam sensor). I didn't know if there was a way to look at the wave forms on the signal wires.

IC, they are damn proud of something that has probably been on some shelf for close to 20 years.
If this is a 2.2 or 2.5L engine, there are no cam and crank position sensors. The sensors are for fuel injection and ignition firing.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They act as a crank and cam sensor just like the Fords with the pickups in the distributor, one pulses every 180° of crank revolution the other once per distributor revolution. On the 2.2/2.5L Turbo the shutter with the window is sync which tells the computer it is #1, on a Ford, it is the narrow vane of the shutter is #1, the other 3 5 or 7 are the same width.

Problem ended up being the SBEC, it will not trigger, even flashing the pins in the socket per the FSM. Since it was an unknow (didn't have a way to test it till I got the car reassembled) I have to find another one. This one was free from my friendly junkyard/wrecker service/body shop.

Bad thing is, I have to get another ZIF socket and send the pair to a fellow in PA who does an excellent job on these.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.