Allpar Forums banner
21 - 40 of 104 Posts

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
39,902 Posts
Volvo s60 recharge comes to mind, 55k new, prior to credit, 40 miles electric, 455 hp. wish they sold a charger like this. It would be my daily driver.
That's really impressive - and news to me! Huh. Except you're talking about the top model ,the Engineered, which starts at $69,095 (455 hp and 523 lb-ft). The less expensive models are “only” 400 horsepower. And 74 MPGe (41 miles on BEV mode). That's Hellcat pricing, not 392 pricing. Wait... Motor Trend adn C&D say the base Recharged is 400 hp. Volvo comparison says “T8” (four cylinder) is 455 hp regardless.

Tou can't get that kind of gas mileage with a V8.

Edit: Edmunds has yet more conflicting info, they claim 22 miles. They were able to average 31.5 mpg with the 400 hp version - with no battery assist. They call it a T8 so... are we sure this is the four cylinder, still? Edit: Yup.

Volvo site: Recharge Engineered is up to 41 miles, 0-60 in 4.3, 30 mpg city without battery charge. 28 mpg combined mileage, vs 31 for standard “Core” Recharged.

·
Registered
44 Posts
That's really impressive - and news to me! Huh. Except you're talking about the top model ,the Engineered, which starts at $69,095 (455 hp and 523 lb-ft). The less expensive models are “only” 400 horsepower. And 74 MPGe (41 miles on BEV mode). That's Hellcat pricing, not 392 pricing.

That said... you can't get that kind of gas mileage with a V8.

Edit: Edmunds has conflicting info, they claim 22 miles. They were able to average 31.5 mpg with the 400 hp version - with no battery assist. They call it a T8 so... are we sure this is the four cylinder, still?
I’m only reading website, so I’m only passing on what I am reading. Seems like there may be more levels to dig through. My knowledge of this car ends here!

I guess my point is that they are packaging 392 power in more efficient offerings, which I think its great to get one as a fun car, but not realistic for a daily driver for some. So, I’d like to see a plug in offering, which sounds like its in the pipeline.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
485 hp 2.x liter PHEVs? I haven't seen any of those.
Hurricane PHEV or just HEV would be good.
I think most people are expecting a high-po Hellcat for 2023. I don't think many are expecting it to last into 2025.
The Mercedes-AMG C63, which will be revealed shortly, will have a 2.0t PHEV powetrain with over 600hp. Even at that output I'd still rather have the V8 or a 6-cylinder motor.

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
39,902 Posts
I guess my point is that they are packaging 392 power in more efficient offerings, which I think its great to get one as a fun car, but not realistic for a daily driver for some. So, I’d like to see a plug in offering, which sounds like its in the pipeline.
Why isn't it realistic as a daily driver to have, say, a Hurricane straight six running with 10% better economy and more overall and peak power in a car with a smaller engine bay? What makes that less realistic than a 392? What makes the Volvo four cylinder turbo hybrid any less realistic than the Hurricane Challenger or 392 Challenger? (Or the AMG C63 assuming it's got something like the same price.)

The Mercedes-AMG C63, which will be revealed shortly, will have a 2.0t PHEV powetrain with over 600hp. Even at that output I'd still rather have the V8 or a 6-cylinder motor.
Without having driven one to compare them? Is this a matter of experience or a matter of philosophy?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Why isn't it realistic as a daily driver to have, say, a Hurricane straight six running with 10% better economy and more overall and peak power in a car with a smaller engine bay? What makes that less realistic than a 392? What makes the Volvo four cylinder turbo hybrid any less realistic than the Hurricane Challenger or 392 Challenger? (Or the AMG C63 assuming it's got something like the same price.)

Without having driven one to compare them? Is this a matter of experience or a matter of philosophy?
An electric range of 30-40 miles is a big difference. Otherwise yes, rather have Chrysler engines. I want a chrysler plug-in option other than Jeep(which is great, and pacifica).

I’m excited 392/hellcat may stay for awhile though, as above is off topic. They have their place.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Will making it smaller, eliminate the massive use of Dodge Chargers by law enforcement agencies?
I highly doubt police agencies would stop using the Charger because the engine compartment was smaller, but that's just my guess. Honestly Stellantis should focus on peddling a future midsize SUV...just look at Ford, they control over half of the police car market. The Explorer has been doing absolutely fantastic for them.

·
Registered
19 Posts

·
Jeepaholic
6,832 Posts
Will making it smaller, eliminate the massive use of Dodge Chargers by law enforcement agencies?
If by being smaller there is less usable space available to accommodate the officers and their gear, then yes, I'd imagine it would negatively affect usage by law enforcement.

·
Jeepaholic
6,832 Posts
I have given out 6 Friends & Family Discount numbers to people on this site this year and only 2 people have bought a car. Enough said !!!
I would add though that this year is not the best time to be buying a new car, so it may not be indicative of what members here normally would do. These ain't normal times by any means, unfortunately, and the sticker shock combined with the markup shock is enough to make some put their wallet not just back into their pocket, but under their mattress as well.

Reactions: HotCarNut and tlc

·
Registered
15,587 Posts
Most believe that there will be a last hurrah for the Hellcat before they go to PHEV/BEV.

The PHEV will probably use 2.0T and 3.0T based on trim.

Using the Hurricane 510, they can reach 1000hp easily with electric assist. But I expect that will be a $100k+ vehicle.

Reactions: World14

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
I highly doubt police agencies would stop using the Charger because the engine compartment was smaller, but that's just my guess. Honestly Stellantis should focus on peddling a future midsize SUV...just look at Ford, they control over half of the police car market. The Explorer has been doing absolutely fantastic for them.
They definitely will not appreciate a smaller sedan. That's the chief complaint about the Charger.

I don't put any faith in new police vehicle sales numbers. Police agencies have been having quite a little trouble ordering and receiving new vehicles. Bids are let, then canceled. Various model production has been repeatedly suspended or discontinued. Cars are showing up a year late, or more. If all 3 OEM's had been able to offer all of their police products uninterrupted, from 2020 through now, Dodge would easily be way out front, as the improved Durango Pursuit has really taken off.

·
Premium Member
2002 Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4x4 with Cummins. 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Altitude
5,222 Posts
I have given out 6 Friends & Family Discount numbers to people on this site this year and only 2 people have bought a car. Enough said !!!
Had I known about your offer before I bought my Jeep I would've used it. But I was able to save grand off sticker. In these times I was okay with that.

·
Paper Tag Rubicon
4,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
By that article Dodge only confirms there will be a BEV. Not that there will only be BEV, which is what has been said all along.
Well, it seems August which is just a couple days away is a month for Dodge to be making announcements. Perhaps Tim Kuniskis' team will have their act together when making announcements.

·
Premium Member
2002 Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4x4 with Cummins. 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Altitude
5,222 Posts
When it comes to that guy, the one thing he likes are burnouts. Not expecting much more. They keep telling us what's coming, but it hasn't yet. Always 3 years away.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Eddie, some of those unused discounts might be in the same situation I was. You generously sent my discount when I ordered my wife's 300 in March, but it didn't arrive at the dealership until yesterday! I was surprised they didn't have a clue how to treat the number and it took several minutes to verify it with the company. I did use it and we will pick up the car next week when the wife is recovered from minor surgery and is allowed to drive. Thanks again!

21 - 40 of 104 Posts