Allpar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 241 Posts

·
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just heard from a fellow member on the 124Spider.org forums that he received an email from a Fiat USA customer rep saying that 124 Spider production has ceased.

I haven’t seen an official announcement; I just googled it and nothing comes up besides the stop-sale in the UK.

I just purchased a Fiat 124 ten days ago. If it turns out to be true that FCA ceased production without telling anyone, you can count me as one very unhappy customer.

Reactions: JavelinAMX

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
Hey guys, I just heard from a fellow member on the 124Spider.org forums that he received an email from a Fiat USA customer rep saying that 124 Spider production has ceased.

I haven’t seen an official announcement; I just googled it and nothing comes up besides the stop-sale in the UK.

I just purchased a Fiat 124 ten days ago. If it turns out to be true that FCA ceased production without telling anyone, you can count me as one very unhappy customer.

Hey Aldo :)

Congratulations on the acquisition.

9 unit sales, total, of all Fiat nameplates in Canada recently might be the harbinger of this turn of email events. ( As you know - USA sales is, likewise, not scintillating ).

·
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you @JavelinAMX!

The Spider is a lot of fun! And that 1.4T is a gem!

Below’s a photo of the Abarth before I took delivery 13 days ago. I already ordered a Good-win Racing complete exhaust that makes it sound like a Rally car and is good for another 8HP and 20 LBS of torque.

IMO, Fiat did a thorough job with the car: it looks, sounds and feels a LOT more expensive and more special than the Mazda MX-5 with which it shares a platform.

Italian design and performance + Japanese quality and attention to detail = the best of both worlds.

The more reason to be upset if Fiat decides to pull the plug!

·
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is a video clip of the Fiat 124 Spider with the Good-win Racing exhaust. It sounds so awesome!

Reactions: JA Cumbo

·
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Thank you @JavelinAMX!

The Spider is a lot of fun! And that 1.4T is a gem!

Below’s a photo of the Abarth before I took delivery 13 days ago. I already ordered a Good-win Racing complete exhaust that makes it sound like a Rally car and is good for another 8HP and 20 LBS of torque.

IMO, Fiat did a thorough job with the car: it looks, sounds and feels a LOT more expensive and more special than the Mazda MX-5 with which it shares a platform.

Italian design and performance + Japanese quality and attention to detail = the best of both worlds.

The more reason to be upset if Fiat decides to pull the plug!

Good to see you post again Aldo! I personally think the 124 is nicer than the Miata. Can't understand why it's sales are so bad, but it's seem to be a lack of advertising, don't remember ANY ads at all for it since new.

·
Super Moderator
38,296 Posts
Perhaps they’ve ceased it for now, until inventories go down? I’m not optimistic about Fiat’s future here in general though.
Cars.com shows an inventory of 1400+ units. Only ~3500 were sold last year in the US.
It could be time for inventory adjustment, especially if not all dealers list inventory on cars.com.s.

Reactions: aldo90731

·
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good to see you post again Aldo! I personally think the 124 is nicer than the Miata. Can't understand why it's sales are so bad, but it's seem to be a lack of advertising, don't remember ANY ads at all for it since new.
Thanks, Jim.

It’s the same old story: Americans —and Canadians— don’t trust Fiat. End of story.

Fiat chose to ignore the issue when it re-entered N.A., making no effort to help consumers get past the Fix It Again Tony jokes. Etc. Etc.

It is such a shame. I fell totally in love with the 124 Spider after a 15-minute test drive. But the Japanese quality is what gave me reassurance that I needed to pull the trigger on a Fiat purchase.

·
Administrator
5,646 Posts
Great buy. My brother bought one last year. Abarth in Scuro Blue. He opted to forgo the black hood/trunk, but I believe he got pretty much everything else. He absolutely loves it. I drove it once and had a blast with it.

·
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Two dealers close to me.............one has 17 in stock and the other has 15 in stock.................both 2018 and 2019 models
Geez.

Great buy. My brother bought one last year. Abarth in Scuro Blue. He opted to forgo the black hood/trunk, but I believe he got pretty much everything else. He absolutely loves it. I drove it once and had a blast with it.
Yes. It truly is a blast.

I wasn't expecting much when I took one out for a test drive. But the sound when I fired up the engine, the smooth shifter, the sharp handling, the kick of the turbo, the overall lightness of the car...were all impressive. The fact that we were able to sit comfortably with the top up, and hold a conversation doing 70 on the freeway with the top down were icing on the cake.

I was on the fence about the black stripe: I like it, but I also like how Spider looks without it. I thought the $2,000 cost of the stripe option was a bit excessive. But this car had the options I wanted: the red seats, Brembo brakes, homelink, navigation, Bose system and DRLs. Once we agreed on a good price the expense of the stripe became a moot point.

Now that I had the car two weeks I am glad I got the stripe; makes it stand out a little more.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Geez.

Yes. It truly is a blast.

I wasn't expecting much when I took one out for a test drive. But the sound when I fired up the engine, the smooth shifter, the sharp handling, the kick of the turbo, the overall lightness of the car...were all impressive. The fact that we were able to sit comfortably with the top up, and hold a conversation doing 70 on the freeway with the top down were icing on the cake.

I was on the fence about the black stripe: I like it, but I also like how Spider looks without it. I thought the $2,000 cost of the stripe option was a bit excessive. But this car had the options I wanted: the red seats, Brembo brakes, homelink, navigation, Bose system and DRLs. Once we agreed on a good price the expense of the stripe became a moot point.

Now that I had the car two weeks I am glad I got the stripe; makes it stand out a little more.

Have you noticed more 124 on the road after you got it? I've noticed more vehicles on the road of new to us cars we've gotten over the years. Love that interior

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
Brilliant car. This one is on my short list. Keep us updated on it.

Are you going to throw any more parts at it?

Fiat NEEDS the North American market. Fiat HAS to succeed here, or else it loses a lot of prestige. IMO the current situation for Fiat in NA is because of a total lack of marketing. I hope/suspect that will change now that FCA is past zero net debt. I think they just want to build up cash reserves to weather any recession.

Also, it is very clear that the 124 is being corralled by Mazda. Originally, it was supposed to be an Alfa. That couldn’t happen, because if it were, it would have had to have the 4C engine and superior dynamics. There is just no way Mazda was going to build a car for Alfa that was more Miata than Miata. Not gonna happen.

So, I think it is the same with the Fiat 124. Fiat/Abarth/FCA have a lot more in their arsenal than Mazda is willing to let them put into the 124.

Now that the facelifted MX5 has made its debut, I am sure the 124 will get its due (as a 2020/21 model). Hopefully it will get the new engine, with 1.3T with 177/210. One thing is for sure though, no Fiat is going to come out of that factory that is superior (on paper) to any MX5.

·
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Have you noticed more 124 on the road after you got it? I've noticed more vehicles on the road of new to us cars we've gotten over the years. Love that interior
There aren't many Spiders up here in the Pacific Northwest. Met a fellow Abarth owner who lives in a small town 10 miles from here, and there is a used 2017 Spider Classica automatic for sale at the local Audi-Porsche-VW dealership. That's it. I catch bystanders staring at the Spider trying to figure out what it is.

I am going to do the Good-win complete exhaust upgrade and perhaps get some lighter wheels with wider tires. That's about it. I don't want to touch the turbo or add a tuner while it has a warranty. The car is pretty quick with the stock 164HP/180lbs; it should feel even better with the exhaust upgrade good for 170/200 at the wheels.

Brilliant car. This one is on my short list. Keep us updated on it.

Are you going to throw any more parts at it?

Fiat NEEDS the North American market. Fiat HAS to succeed here, or else it loses a lot of prestige. IMO the current situation for Fiat in NA is because of a total lack of marketing. I hope/suspect that will change now that FCA is past zero net debt. I think they just want to build up cash reserves to weather any recession.

Also, it is very clear that the 124 is being corralled by Mazda. Originally, it was supposed to be an Alfa. That couldn’t happen, because if it were, it would have had to have the 4C engine and superior dynamics. There is just no way Mazda was going to build a car for Alfa that was more Miata than Miata. Not gonna happen.

So, I think it is the same with the Fiat 124. Fiat/Abarth/FCA have a lot more in their arsenal than Mazda is willing to let them put into the 124.

Now that the facelifted MX5 has made its debut, I am sure the 124 will get its due (as a 2020/21 model). Hopefully it will get the new engine, with 1.3T with 177/210. One thing is for sure though, no Fiat is going to come out of that factory that is superior (on paper) to any MX5.
Thanks! I am very happy with it.

I don't know. Here we are at the end of March and the Fiat USA website hasn't even updated for 2019! Fiat is completely neglected.

·
Banned
1,168 Posts
The "Fiat" Spider was taken out of the UK range, but the "Abarth" Spider remains. My guess that Abarth with a higher profit margin must be outselling the Fiat by big enough margin to make that decision. I wonder if it is the same story for the US market?

·
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don’t know for sure. But I’d say Abarths seem to account for at least half of all Spiders I’ve seen.

Most of the Spider online reviews I’ve seen —and I’ve seen lots— are of the Abarth. And UK reviews, in particular, have been overwhelmingly positive.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
@Muther actually, it was FCA that forced the brand-switch on the 124. It was indeed originally planned as a new Spider, but then once the big Alfa relaunch was confirmed (Giorgio), the Alfa brand managers decided that it would be better for the brand if Alfa Romeo models were all built in Italy, so the contract was re-negotiated slightly to change the model to a FIAT.

I don't think much changed in the end. The Alfa 1750cc engine from 4C must have been planned to be fitted at some point, because the racing version of that engine is what's inside the FIA-homologated 124 competition car. I've been told the competition 124 is an absolute blast to drive, but it's not road-legal, and is never likely to be.

Enjoy the car, @aldo90731 ! - and welcome back.

1 - 20 of 241 Posts