Allpar Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious if anyone on here has actually done the conversion themselves. I know it's been done, but I have questions.

I just bought an 85 Shelby Charger with turbo and fuel injection and want to put everything in my Rampage. Is there a ton of wiring that would have to be modded? Or would I just take the Charger harness and put it in my Rampage?

And are the Shelby cars very different than the normal turbo cars? Would an 85 Factory Service Manual have all of the Shelby information in it? I'm mostly worried about the wiring. I want to do it right, not some hack job.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
20,251 Posts
The best way to do the conversion is to convert everything over to the Rampage, so a shop manual for both cars would be the most efficient way to do it. It will take the fuel system (fuel pumps and fuel lines are different between the two vehicles), exhaust should line up positionally but the diameter of the pipes may be different, and yes, the whole wiring harness for the engine bay, then verifying the connections line up for the bulkhead connection, sometimes these things change colors and locations, so it has to be verified. As far as everything bolting up and fitting, should not be an issue. Keep an eye on things like the heat shields, might need them from the Daytona to protect the surfaces.

Sounds like a fun project. I didn't do a turbo swap to get the information, I did a 95 Dakota 2.5 5spd to 3.9 5spd, but it is similar with fuel/exhaust/wiring/sheilds to make it all work, and the only fun part I could see with this swap would be getting to the intercooler stuff and fitting, but it shouldn't be too bad. Keep us informed of the project and how things are going, we can help with the individual things as they come up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am trying the same thing and have asked the same question, and found what dana44 said to be true. strip the 85 but be careful to make sure its put in the rampage the same way. Don't forget the K frame as you will need the support from the frame to the engine. I am hoping to get it done right after I get my 86 running smoke free for my son. Good luck

·
Premium Member
20,251 Posts
One other thing, which I know exists, but not the years of interchange, are the half shafts, equal length and unequal length. The latter does a lot of torque steer. There is also a very specific procedure, which the manual should talk about, is ensuring the engine is realigned properly side to side, and if not, shafts last about halfway around the block. Bob or Bob know more about this than I do, maybe they can shed a little more light on it than just noting "something to watch".

·
Premium Member
29,620 Posts
I've converted an '86 log intake Turbo engine to an '88 intake with '87 electronics.

What was the setup in the Rampage originally? Was it the 2.2 carb engine? Or was it TBI?

Let's start from there and we can then discuss the different steps and converstion processes.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Curious if anyone on here has actually done the conversion themselves. I know it's been done, but I have questions.

I just bought an 85 Shelby Charger with turbo and fuel injection and want to put everything in my Rampage. Is there a ton of wiring that would have to be modded? Or would I just take the Charger harness and put it in my Rampage?

And are the Shelby cars very different than the normal turbo cars? Would an 85 Factory Service Manual have all of the Shelby information in it? I'm mostly worried about the wiring. I want to do it right, not some hack job.

Thanks
I have done turbo

Thanks
I have done a Turbo Rampage, it's probably the easiest turbo swap on the planet. Any progress/questions so far??

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well, been busy working on other projects. The rampage is in the body shop getting a full makeover. Then the turbo motor swap is hopefully soon to follow.

I have kinda looked over the shelby charger. It seems as if some of the relays and other do dads are missing from under the hood. Not sure if this will even work for me.

Has anyone ran a MegaSquirt setup? Is it pretty simple to install? Read the directions and go from there? Or do I really need someone that understands the specifics of turbos and fuel injection do it?

G

·
The Turbocharged Charger is supposed to have a baffle in it's fuel tank.

You may want to swap the fuel tank over to the Rampage as well.

Ray
Central California

·
Premium Member
20,251 Posts
Why spend the couple extra grand for the Megasquirt system? I think it would be much easier to get the needed relays much cheaper, the turbo from Mopar was way ahead of its time, no need to get rid of it if you don't have to. I would think any of the turbo engine setups would function with the Daytona turbo, and there are still quite a few of them around. Ever get the wiring diagram to figure out what is really missing? Some of the guys should be able to help out on this one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have a 84 rampage we used suspension parts from a daytona to make it five lug instead of 4 and a 88 2.2 turbo from the daytona but im not sure on the wiring thing sorry.i have the super60 package from mopar performance not sure if they still make it or not. u can call mike at forward motion and he can tell ya alot more than me 302 658 2829 he is very smart when it comes to this kinda stuff

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
37,470 Posts
We have centerlining instructions on allpar, I think. Oops, that's for the cam, not the engine.

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/t3-centerlining.html

Ha ha.

dana44 is dead on about the suspension, last thing you want is a lot of power you can't use.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Here are the centering instructions when you get to that point.

https://www.allpar.com/fix/engines/centering.html

I had a axle brake and just replaced it and broke the new one right away because I did not center the engine. 2nd one replaced I centered the engine with no more problems.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts