Allpar Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been thinking about replacing my 2013 Chrysler T&C Touring L. It's been a pretty good vehicle, with no real mechanical problems, but I was not happy when the edges of the hood starting corroding. Even after multiple attempts to get Chrysler to repair it, the just kept ignoring it and finally said it was too late to do anything since the warranty had expired.

It has also started to rust at the top of the left rear wheel opening. Not too bad, considering the amount of the various salt solutions that are poured on the roads here in northern illinois.

I've been looking at a new Pacifica as well as the Honda and Toyota, and also the new Kia Carnival minivans. (Although Kia scrupulously avoids the word 'minivan' in all their literature, insisting on describing it as a 'Multi Purpose Vehicle'.)

The Pacifica, being the only one with the Stow & Go second row seats, is desireable, but I'm still pissed at them for ignoring the problem of the corroding hood.

Has this problem been fixed on the Pacifica?

·
Registered
435 Posts
My friends 2017 Pacifica had the corroding hood fixed just over a year ago under warranty. My 2018 Charger is doing the same thing and working through the dealer channels presently to see about getting that fixed. We both live in Wisconsin where the salt and winters are rough just as Illinois but its disappointing to still see this going on.

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
23,671 Posts
It is one of the joys of living in a corrosive environment.
Fiberglass/plastic body panels are great if the paint sticks. They tend to chip more on the leading edges over the years though.

FCA has stepped up in many cases, particularly if you are a regular and on good terms with them. Service managers have some pull and will try to meet you at least part of the way if you have issues.
Some dealers have an on-premises body shop with Chrysler-training & Mopar supplies. Use your selling dealer for the utmost cooperation on warranty concerns.

The metal surface has to be 'pickled' just right before the finish coats are applied. Fold-over seams in the sheetmetal were a favorite starting point for rot to take root.
Aluminum has its own set of issues, but may be preferable to steel in many cases. See TSB # 31-002-20 for the latest guidance on aluminum corrosion concerns:

Reactions: World14

·
Registered
24 Posts
Had issue fixed under warranty. Fine now. Nothing further to report.

Reactions: DC-93

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
23,671 Posts
Squirt oil in the front of the hood between the inner and outer.
Seals it all up!!
If it were something that simple, why wouldn't the factory seal the seams permanently before the corrosion even has a chance to start (more than they already do)?

Reactions: 1999 White C5 Coupe

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Good question.
My dad used to pour old oil into doors, 1/4 panels and hood/trunk seams.
Worked great and cheaper than Ziebart!
But it would drip out for weeks!! Who’d put up with that today?

·
Super Moderator
40,009 Posts
Good question.
My dad used to pour old oil into doors, 1/4 panels and hood/trunk seams.
Worked great and cheaper than Ziebart!
But it would drip out for weeks!! Who’d put up with that today?
My father and grandfather did the same. But the oil attracted and held dust (we lived way out in the country on gravel roads) which tended to plug drains holes and allowed water to eventually collect.

• Wow
Reactions: DC-93

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Fluid film or Rust check. Products that creep.

Reactions: tomit

·
Registered
973 Posts
I found corrosion on our 2013 T&C hood last fall - it has a bug deflector on it which hid it for a while as it had started in a couple places. It started on the outer surface - just surface corrosion - no holes. I don't know if the bug deflector was installed when new - but the van only had 6k miles on it when we bought it so its not likely this was caused by stone chips - it was mostly under the deflector which covers the full front edge. And not related generally to the mounting of the deflector either. I think it is a Mopar accessory - nicely friction mounted. I treat the winter drivers with a product called Corrosion Free Rust Cure 3000. It is like Rust Check which I have also used - creeps well - but it resists wash out better in the under side. Not sure it would help external surface spots.
Struck me as odd - the aluminum hood on my Charger is perfect. I guess one difference is the Charger front edge is protected by the fascia - the van front edge is not (though behind the deflector). Maybe harder to treat / prep the front formed edge.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Funny. Never had a problem with my 2014 Grand Caravan. But, had hood corrosion issues on my 2014 Ram and 2019 Ram (DT). Within the first 1.5 years of ownership. My LX cars were good like someone else commented I think the fascia helps protect the hood.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts