Allpar Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Create Thread: have a valiant ap6 1966 with column shift auto have to remove engine for repair can this be done without removing the automatic gearbox thanks

·
Super Moderator
37,264 Posts
Yes

Reactions: DC-93

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks wasnt sure if the auto transmission had to come out
no compression in no 4 cyl leakage test shows air coming from dipstick and a small amount from oil filler cap

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
is there anything to watch out for when removing engine from auto box ie hidden bolts or such

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Torque converter bolts!!

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Remove the starter, bellhousing bolts, flexplate bolts. Engine electrical harness, fuel line, carb linkage, exhaust pipe clamp bolts or nuts depending. Put blocks under the trans so it doesn't drop. Anything else I forgot guys?

·
Super Moderator
37,264 Posts
You will have to rotate the engine to get at all four bolts that hold the torque converter to the flex plate. You may want to make a mark on the flex plate and torque converter so you can index them the same when reinstalling (some have four equally spaced holes, some have one offset hole so they only go together one way, I don't know which yours is).

Reactions: Adventurer55

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok thanks for the info
will keep updated on progress of engine for this project i need to keep cost down
will redo and check head hopefully bore ok maybe just hone and no 4 piston ok, change all rings
will know more when i tear down motor and do some measurements
car history- my brothers car bought in 1966 original condition all pretty stock standard
he put in a recon engine and this one has about 120000 miles
cheers

·
KOG
7,036 Posts
You can pull trans with engine, but it's not easy. You'd better have an equalizer bar on your engine hoist if you try that. And you probably need to have the front of the car raised off the floor so the tailshaft of transmission can clear the floor at the angle you need to get the engine out.

It wouldn't hurt the pull he head first and make sure it's not a valve problem. You're going to take the head off anyway. You don't have to pull manifolds from head to remove it. When reinstalling manifolds there is a very specific procedure to follow and DO NOT over tighten manifold stud nuts as this WILL cause a cracked exhaust manifold. There are specific washers for each stud as well and they must be in the correct locations.

Do it right and the engine will outlast you even if you're 20. I've still got a '73 that had 408,000 on it when parked because the transmission died for the second time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no worries will prob just pull engine without trans
pretty sure its a ring problem due to leakage test but jut as easy to pull head
thanks

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
Seeing as it's a 66, you should also have a drain plug on the torque converter. If you ever change the fluid and filter, you can drain the TC and have a LOT more fresh fluid in there. Too bad they stopped doing that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thats good info im going to change filter and oil in trans while its off the road so ill drain torque convertor same time give it plenty of fresh oil

1 - 12 of 12 Posts