Allpar Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at replacing the head gasket on my 95 Dakota four cylinder and needed to know if the head bolts should be replaced also? Thanks, Don.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
If they are torque to yield, then yes. I think they are.

·
Super Moderator
21,355 Posts
Follow the recommendations in the service manual.
The elastic (TTY) bolts can be reused as long as they aren't 'necked' or stretched at all. Comparing them against each other or laying them against a straight-edge will help you see this.
The regular non-elastic bolts require a dab of paint on the bolt head the first time that they are reused so that the technician servicing them again after that knows to replace them. This of course does not mean that the paint dab was applied the first time around.
When in doubt, replace.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your quick response. Do I have to go to the dealer to buy the bolts or are there other options?

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
Dealer is the easiest, aftermarket should carry them, but normal parts stores don't usually have them on the shelf.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
Mancini Racing had them for something like $20 for the set, half the price of Summit Racing, which kept stalling on delivery until I had to cancel my order with them.

I would always replace them. Why go through all that labor and risk a failure? They are torque to yield.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had one other question, I also have a 91 Dakota with that has the 2.5 L.that I am parting out. Is the head a direct interchange with the 95 2.5 L.? I am thinking of having it rebuilt and ready to go on before I take apart the 95..

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
It is the same head as long as it is the same 2.5. Late in 95 was when the Jeep 2.5 was also used, identified easiest by the valve cover. The 2.5 Dodge is round curve over the camshaft, the Jeep is square ended around the front of the head like a normal valve cover.

·
Super Moderator
36,919 Posts
The 1996 model year was when the Dakota changed from the Chrysler 2.5 to the AMC 2.5.
The same cylinder head was used on the 1995 and the 1991 and lots of FWD cars and minivans.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
Not to be too picky, but there were some late made 95s that ended up with the AMC 2.5. Best to make the note and not need it, than need it and not know it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts