Allpar Forums banner

Head Light Bulb upgrade options.

1370 Views 29 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  08GCSXT
The vehicle = 2008 Grand Caravan. 140k+ miles, stock.

A few years ago I had replaced the headlight lenses due to them being extremely foggy. This went relatively well. However, after driving a couple other different cars we have I have noticed, REALLY noticed that these just aren't cutting it anymore. The beams are there but they don't seem to shine far enough ahead and what does shine doesn't seem to be bright enough, especially for my wife and she's the main driver of it.

So, couple questions: Is there a way to realign the lenses OR, if not, are there somewhat brighter bulbs that I can purchase at the auto parts store that will give me the shine we're looking for?

One more thing: We're looking for "incandescent" options, not LED. We have our reasons for this option.

Thank You.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Super Moderator
12,338 Posts
Same with my 92 Dakota, when I replaced the yellow-fogged headlight assemblies with new OEM. I can see the reflectors clearly, but the beams don't carry far and cast a yellowish light at night.
I tried Sylvania Silverstars in one of my cars, but they burned out in 5 months instead of the usual 7 years or so. Many advertise brightness, but fail early as a result. I just use the regular Sylvania, Osram, Philips, whatever of these major brands is available.

· Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
25,616 Posts
The ones I replaced look exactly like the old ones. I can't remember the make of them though.
Who did you buy them from? (What brand?) They usually look very similar but the optics are usually not the same.

· Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
17,316 Posts
I don't care for the blue-tinted or LED headlamps either. If the reflector or lens isn't designed for the bulb, you can run into beam pattern/focus problems.
There are a lot of LED flicker & cut-out problems because the TIPM is looking for a certain threshold of current draw. If the lamp misses this threshold, the TIPM can shut the headlamps off. Fun.

The correct headlamp bulbs are H13 or 9008 lamps. I tried to find an objective test of lamps, but they were all muddled by marketing claims or pushing modifications.

The H13 has a certain current draw and lumen output specification. You want that.
My 200 has the IR coating on the standard Halogen glass bulb envelope to make it burn hotter, this raises the color temperature to a slightly whiter-white.
I don't drive much at night, but I have had no problem when I do.
Clean the windshield glass inside & outside also. It helps to reduce glare. A new windshield glass without the scratching & pitting of age is a real treat.

Reactions: slosland

· Super Moderator
21,376 Posts

· Registered
317 Posts
Osram (Sylvania) Silverstar Ultra for the nice white light and a 'Perceived" brightness increase. This is done by the colour of the light output being more visible to the eye. They also have a zXe bulb which I'm running now going on two years, quite a bit whiter still and a bit brighter as well. Do not go with the "high wattage" lamps, they will burn out quickly and the halogen capsule headlamp assemblies don't quite work right with the LED conversions. The HID headlamp assemblies maybe perform better with the LED lamps but I can't comment on that with any credibility.

· Super Moderator
12,338 Posts
Osram (Sylvania) Silverstar Ultra for the nice white light and a 'Perceived" brightness increase. This is done by the colour of the light output being more visible to the eye. They also have a zXe bulb which I'm running now going on two years, quite a bit whiter still and a bit brighter as well. Do not go with the "high wattage" lamps, they will burn out quickly and the halogen capsule headlamp assemblies don't quite work right with the LED conversions. The HID headlamp assemblies maybe perform better with the LED lamps but I can't comment on that with any credibility.
Sylvania Silverstar Ultra is exactly the brand that does burn out early. As I said, both sides failed within 5 months, whereas regular bulbs lasted 7 years. I will never use them again.

· Registered
317 Posts
Sylvania Silverstar Ultra is exactly the brand that does burn out early. As I said, both sides failed within 5 months, whereas regular bulbs lasted 7 years. I will never use them again.
I must be lucky, my Avenger had them for years...still worked after the front end wreck, I actually took them out and still have them on the shelf here, The zXe lamps I have in now are also Silverstar, just a whiter and cleaner light... 2 years and counting!!

· Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So the lenses I bought won't focus like OEM :(. Would the Osram bulbs help any with brightness shining any further down the road or do I need to replace the lenses with OEM ones.
P.S. Are there any OEM ones available from another dealer? I know the best bet is from Dodge but I'm looking at price here too :p

· Registered
317 Posts
I just re-read your original post OP, are these the same bulbs that were installed with the new headlamp assemblies??? If so, ANY incandescent bulb will have reduced output over time and especially when they are getting near the end of their life. It could simply be a matter of replacing the bulbs and see what happens there first....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts