Allpar Forums banner

Head Light Bulb upgrade options.

1362 Views 29 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  08GCSXT
The vehicle = 2008 Grand Caravan. 140k+ miles, stock.

A few years ago I had replaced the headlight lenses due to them being extremely foggy. This went relatively well. However, after driving a couple other different cars we have I have noticed, REALLY noticed that these just aren't cutting it anymore. The beams are there but they don't seem to shine far enough ahead and what does shine doesn't seem to be bright enough, especially for my wife and she's the main driver of it.

So, couple questions: Is there a way to realign the lenses OR, if not, are there somewhat brighter bulbs that I can purchase at the auto parts store that will give me the shine we're looking for?

One more thing: We're looking for "incandescent" options, not LED. We have our reasons for this option.

Thank You.
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

· Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
17,307 Posts
It doesn't necessarily have to be Mopar to be OEM. As long as they claim that a part is 'OEM', it should meet the 'form fit & function' of a Mopar-supplied part, often at a cost savings.

I am leery of descriptions like 'OE-style', 'OE-comparable', 'CAPA-certified', 'direct-fit', etc. All have to meet DOT & SAE standards (FMVSS/CMVSS 108).
It just means that they are legal. Apparently, aftermarket LEDs are not:
Font Material property Screenshot Parallel Terrestrial plant

Reactions: Dave Z

· Super Moderator
12,325 Posts
That said, junkyards can be your friend. It's not that hard to polish up a faded headlight lens.
Unless, like what happened to my truck's original lenses, the yellow damage was in the full depth of the plastic.

· Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
25,610 Posts
Unless, like what happened to my truck's original lenses, the yellow damage was in the full depth of the plastic.
Huh. Interesting. I never had that happen... only three cars in the collection, though (1995 Neon, 2000 300M, 2006 Sebring). The newer cars didn't have any problem at all. It's been ten years on the 300C and Dart but they show absolutely no yellowing.

· Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I just re-read your original post OP, are these the same bulbs that were installed with the new headlamp assemblies??? If so, ANY incandescent bulb will have reduced output over time and especially when they are getting near the end of their life. It could simply be a matter of replacing the bulbs and see what happens there first....
Yes, they are the same bulbs when the lenses were replaced.
After reading alot of the replies here about the Osram bulbs I'm leaning towards replacing them with a set of these.

In the meantime, if anyone has any suggestions for "slightly modifying" the lenses to adjust the angle they are at I'm open to these. First newer bulbs though. If that doesn't work then maybe adjusting the angle.
Thank You 😊

· Super Moderator
21,363 Posts
My guess it isn’t a lens problem, but a reflector problem. Mopar Action replaced the headlights on their project Dakota with Mopar value line parts and they weren’t as good as the originals. The problem was the reflector and a piece in front of the bulb. They cut the headlight open and removed that odd piece and got better light. Then used the relay setup for direct power I mentioned above.

· Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Just an update: I went ahead and installed a set of Sylvania Xtravision bulbs. So far I have not noticed any difference :(

Next step is to check out my local Pull A Part. I have 3 relatively close by. However, I think the lenses are one of the first things to go when new vehicles get onto the yard. BUT, I'll check anyways.

One more question: The "Style" of lens on our 2008, that is the same style as 08, 09 and 10? Just so I know what I'm looking for.

Thanks again for all the info!

· Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Major Update
So, my last update was based on my son's experience driving with the new bulbs. So, sorry about that BUT I can confirm this. I drove our van the other night and yes, the new bulbs aren't any better BUT I can explain HOW they aren't better.

The road I took was relatively flat and I was needing to turn right onto a side street. I knew where the street was but I like to actually SEE the Green street name sign so I know where to put my turn signal on. I couldn't see the sign until I was almost right on top of it.

To confirm my suspicions just tonight I compared MY car (2008 Altima 2.5S - Still OEM lens but one of the bulbs has been replaced, the other is still OEM with 134k miles!!)

ANYWAYS, the drive in my car was VASTLY different. I could see street/road signs WELL down the road compared to the van. I know, this is a different make/model but shouldn't they all be relatively the same?

In comparing them, the van appears to have lost this "down the road and on the sides" brightness. The current lens/lights shine in front, on the road, but not anywhere else.

Again, I reiterate my question in my original post: Is there a modification I can do to aim the lens better? Or am I stuck with trying to find a decent set of used lens.

Thanks again all!!

· Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
17,307 Posts
So it is a 'beam pattern' issue & not necessarily a lamp 'brightness' issue?
Despite having to meet federal lighting regulations, beam patterns & shape can vary.
The beam alignment test is by showing the beams on a wall (or garage door) about 25' (7.6m) away.
Any difference between left & right? Is the vehicle level? Lamp mounting is firm & secure? No broken or loose plastic?
If there is any dulling or degrading of the lens or reflector, replace the lamp assemblies.

Font Parallel Rectangle Triangle Diagram

Font Line Screenshot Rectangle Parallel

Font Parallel Slope Rectangle Triangle
Font Brand Monochrome photography Monochrome Electric blue

Motor vehicle Automotive design Font Automotive exterior Art

The IIHS gave the Chrysler/Dodge (RT) minivan headlamps an overall 'poor' rating.
Slope Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot

21 - 30 of 30 Posts