Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First thing i need to know, -stupid, but i need to know how many lamp shall light at high beem?

On my 86 all four assemblies lights up at high-beam. The outer 2 lamps at low beam.

I dont have the small park lamp wired up. i only have the H4 55w on the outer lamp.
Problem is the sealed inner lamp -whats the purpose of this lamp? Is it originally a parklamp?
Now it seems like i have double set of high-beems when the inner lamp also turn on at high beam. That i think causes to much power and heat to the headlamp-switch. Whats the originally set-up?

As i have reading Haynes wiring diagrams and surfing on internett the last days i notice that melt-down on connectors are not unusual. BTW i think i have found an alternativ connector we can use:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=931470&cc=1090785

This is from a 5.2L Dodge Diplomat 1986. I think connector will fit, but you will have to cut away the plastic-locks on the side.(i can not garantie this-but for me i have ordered one)

Then back to to topic- i have had a melt-down on connector- still perhaps not totaly broken. Switch goes hot , sometimes very hot, sometimes less hot. I have tryed to different switches-both go hot and make high beam go blinking and finaly cut.
I have ordered a new Switch anyhow.

So - i really dont understand the wiring diagram-is over my intelligens,and i cant find the reason for the problem. I found a bad ground on the front lamp socket, that i repared.

I had a suggestion that wiring could be repaired wrong from the shop, but i think wires have the right dimensions.

So -is it an alternativ to set up a totaly knew wiring for headlamps -with a aftermarked switch?

And just "hope" dashlights, turnlights an so on will work somehow?

·
Super Moderator
36,916 Posts
torgtoe said:
First thing i need to know, -stupid, but i need to know how many lamp shall light at high beem?

On my 86 all four assemblies lights up at high-beam. The outer 2 lamps at low beam.
That is the correct behavior. The inner headlamps only have a high beam filament so they only come on when high beams are used.
The outer lights have both a low beam and a high beam filament so they light up the appropriate filament depending on the low or high beam selection.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok-then install is right, but in my head that gives to much heat on switch?-where does heat come from ?From my research i cant find a relay to absorb the power?

·
Super Moderator
36,916 Posts
The full current flows through the switch and it will get hot even with stock lamps and good, clean grounds.
Perhaps a better design would have been to use the switch to trigger a relay. I know that some people that use more powerful lights will add a relay.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
latest:

- I disconnected the inner lamp bulb-and took a testdrive with switch and connector hanging ouside consol. Seems like swich is not as hot now.

- NB : it looks from Heynes that the red/orange wire and the violet/white wire to three-pin bulb connector should be mounted the other way around, to opposite pin-hole(This is the same on another harness i have)-
This, as i see it, will give the dimmer-switch an oppsite posision for high/low beam? and it may change other things as well-like wires to earth......

·
Part Connoisseur
2,431 Posts
The headlight switches, because they do not use relays, do get warm if not hot. One way to alleviate this problem is to install relays to handle the electrical load. In short, when doing this the electrical load passes through the relays and not the headlight switch. Here is a great article on the subject:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/relays/relays.html

Here is a premade wiring harness that should work in your application if you want to install relays:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370651620193

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for answers- This was a useful artical-and it was spesially surprising and scaring to read how lumens goes down as voltage goes down.

I Think it must be admitted that the lighthening set up is a weekness in 86 models. I have concluded that if there has been heat and melting on contact, switch will then also melt inside,-and there will be serious chance of full fire.
As i now have disconnected the inner beam- lamp, the heat is almost gone, - still it comes back when inner lamp is connected again.

For sure i will set up relays-the one on the ebay link really looked great, wish i had it,maybe i will...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts