Allpar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today the headlights and tailights started flashing and would not stop. Couldn't find any control settings to stop the issue. It did this running and not running - didn't matter. I checked for codes in the engine and transmission and found none and finally disconnected the battery for 2 minutes and it seems to have solved the issue. This is a 3.3 and does not have a security system. Any thoughts?
Thanks
Greg

·
Registered
120 Posts
I had a similar issue with my 2000 town and country, I bought it used a few years ago and the previous owner gave me a pair of keys with no alarm fob so I assumed there was no alarm system on it. There was an aftermarket one I didn’t know about until one day it did the same thing yours did. My doors locked as well. Had to unplug the battery as well to stop it. Never had it happen again since then. Are you the original owner? there may be a security system hidden there somewhere. Just a thought, I’m no mechanic the folks here at Allpar helped me with it.

·
Super Moderator
21,629 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. Aftermarket alarm/security or Mopar EVS systems are usually mounted at the steering column near the brake pedal so they can splice into the ignition switch wiring. Look for a plastic box (module) and a bundle of wires. Some may have a small valet toggle switch in the lower dash panel. Are your key fobs the Chrysler ones?
Does the horn work? If your T&C did have the factory VTSS (vehicle theft security system), there would be honking along with the flashing lamps. If someone in the past replaced either the PCM or BCM with a unit from a VTSS-enabled minivan into your non-VTSS vehicle, that could give you partial security alarm symptoms. If you turn your key in the drivers or passenger door lock, that should disable the alarm symptoms if the key cylinder switches are there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought the van 3 years ago with the original black keys and fobs. When the lights where flashing the doors did not lock and the horn did not sound. The horn does work. The keys would not stop the flashing. Finally I thought I would pull any codes before disconnecting the battery but there were no codes. It's my understanding the black keys on this model are non chip no security system and the gray key is the chip key used with the security system. Right now the van is acting normal.
Thanks
Greg

·
Super Moderator
21,629 Posts
You would have to catch it when it is acting up, unless fault codes are stored. Fault codes given by the instrument cluster or an OBDII engine code reader will only give PCM codes. A PCM with factory VTSS enabled will control fuel during an alarm event where the car will start and run for a second, then stall. You may see a Fuel: ON or Fuel: OFF line under PCM inputs/outputs.
For any false alarm or headlamp control codes, you would need a scan tool capable of reading BCM, IPM and FCM module fault codes. Diagnose first.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts